SIGforum
HVAC: High Humidity Indoors (60%)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6720038954

August 13, 2019, 01:14 PM
Oz_Shadow
HVAC: High Humidity Indoors (60%)
I looked at this as well. I noted two ways some variable speed units address this. The first is slowing the maximum cooling CFM which defaults to 400 per ton to something like 360 cfm per ton. A little less airflow results in a bit more humidity being removed. The second way is with a control on the thermostat that basically does the same thing, often with a couple degrees of overcooling. As an example, if you set it to 75 with a humidity target that is not met it may continue to run to 73 degrees at a lower CFM blower speed to help meet that goal.

Sounds like they are following similar means to do this plus more!
August 13, 2019, 05:59 PM
greekfed
Possibly s dumb question, but does your smart thermostat have a setting for humidity? Mine, a Lennox, does. Just a thought.

August 21, 2019, 04:51 AM
4MUL8R
My thermostat, the Honeywell 9000, reads both outdoor and indoor humidity but does not have a control circuit or RH setpoint feature.

The humidity is now over 60% regularly, even during the evening. SWMBO cannot survive in the frozen tundra of 70 F, to simulate overcooling. I may be able to try 68 F next week when I work from home and she is away.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
August 21, 2019, 06:03 AM
Oz_Shadow
You may just have to get a stand alone dehumidifier if the installer can’t get the system dialed in. Like others mentioned it may be too large.
August 21, 2019, 07:22 AM
Window A/C's have a drain hole to let the condensation water out. The hole can get plugged and the humidity will raise to 90 percent.

The same thing can happen to your indoor units. My heat pump unit got plugged and over flowed onto the air filter.

August 21, 2019, 08:25 AM
snidera
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
My thermostat, the Honeywell 9000, reads both outdoor and indoor humidity but does not have a control circuit or RH setpoint feature.

The humidity is now over 60% regularly, even during the evening. SWMBO cannot survive in the frozen tundra of 70 F, to simulate overcooling. I may be able to try 68 F next week when I work from home and she is away.

If your thermostat has a calibrate function, turn it up a degree or 2, so it reads 72 when it's actually 70 inside. I bet she won't notice and/or you can explain it away. I survived like that for 5+ years until a fucking baby monitor showed the temp in the kids room.
August 21, 2019, 09:14 AM
trapper189
I'm not an expert, but let's look at this step by step.

If the AC is shutting off because it's reaching the temp set on the thermostat before reaching your desired humidity, then you are generating too much humidity, your AC is oversized, or both.

The humidity is coming from somewhere.

What is the humidity outside? Is it lower, higher or the same as the humidity inside?

If it's lower outside than inside or the same, maybe additional venting is called for in locations where humidity is being created. Bathrooms and kitchen.

If it's higher outside than inside, the above may still apply, but maybe you need to take a look at where there could be outside air coming into your home. Vapor barrier in the crawl space has been suggested as one place to look. Maybe there are others.

The AC has to be running to dehumdify.

What are the run times and cycle times of your AC units?

Do they run 5 minutes on and 10 minutes off or 20 minutes on and 10 minutes off, for example?

Your AC units are ductless mini-splits, correct? You haven't mentioned how these are installed in relation to the layout of the house. Do you have ducting and an air handler for heating? If so, could you run just one AC unit and run the air handler at the same time? This would circulate the air inside the house while the one AC unit pulled moisture out of the air with a longer run time.
August 21, 2019, 03:08 PM
Excam_Man
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Did they do a load calculation?

Is it uncomfortable? Meaning, does it feel any different then BEFORE the new systems?

You come looking for solutions, yet you don't answer questions... ? Confused

August 21, 2019, 03:21 PM
Excam_Man
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Your AC units are ductless mini-splits, correct?

That will be a negative.