SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It would appear the Amazon app is ALWAYS listening even if you have not given it access to the microphone!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It would appear the Amazon app is ALWAYS listening even if you have not given it access to the microphone!!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I am sitting here in bed and just turned on my son's monitor and it runs for a little while as it is close to the soundbox (which is playing kind of a rainforesty rain sound) the monitor shuts off the sound after a bit when it realizes that sound is constant.
But anyway I open the Amazon app on my iPhone and I notice a bubble coming from the little microphone icon in the top right corner. What does the text bubble say?? It says would you like to search for things related to RAIN SOUNDS!!!!
I know I have not given permission for the app to use the microphone and I click on the microphone icon and quickly am prompted that the app does not have permission to access the microphone and click here to allow.
Well if it does not have permission to use the mic how in the heck does it know the loudest noise around me is the rain sound??
Pure coincindence I think not!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
All ur conversashunz are belong 2 us!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
But don't worry, everything is just peachy with the Amazon Echo. It's not listening to and recording everything you say... Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
There are many online cautions that the microphone and camera are always on. And your HD tv. Spybook makes suggestions of posting pictures that are saved only to my phone. Therefore Spybook has reached into the phone's memory to make the suggestion. Yeah, we invited the invasion.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skynet Lives!

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have windows 10 and it has cortana as the alexa counterpart.

I'm supposed to press the microphone button before I can speak to it.

Several times, I have the tv on and then all of a sudden, Cortana says something related to what was just said from the tv.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I always assume my smartphone is listening. And frankly I don't care. If I ever plan a murder I will turn my phone off.

By the if privacy is a concern you will want to get rid of your cell phone. And I don't mean just smart phones, I mean all cell phones. Companies have the capability to do way more than just listen to your conversations.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Reynolds Wrap.

Heavy Duty.

It's worth a googling.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Unishot:
Reynolds Wrap.

Heavy Duty.

It's worth a googling.

If the phone is listening through the aluminum foil, it can record and upload to the cloud later.

There is no escape.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
of course its always listening and streaming back to Amazon what it is hearing

how else do you think it would 'wake up' when it heard its name if it wasn't always listening

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
my Xbox One is always listening. My laptop. The various tablets. The WiiU probably. Our cell phones. My wife. Even the Cat responds to me. Bout the only things in the house not listening to me are my kids.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Is the Soundbox linked to your Amazon account in any way? It would seem far more likely that it's playing a track from Amazon Prime and thus the app knows that you are playing that track than that the microphone is listening to the track, interpreted it as rain songs, and fed that to Amazon Skynet.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
But don't worry, everything is just peachy with the Amazon Echo. It's not listening to and recording everything you say... Roll Eyes

Exactly. Because it's not. Cool And there'd be an explanation for this too if his app is truly set to not listen.

- Listening for codeword 24x7x365 in local processing

- Streaming to Amazon Skynet for a few seconds once it hears the codeword in order to get your command processed by NLU (Natural Language Understanding) engine and for those commands to be processed over to the myriad of useful things which you may have configured. Oh, and, lighting up like a Christmas tree while it does that.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
my Xbox One is always listening. My laptop. The various tablets. The WiiU probably. Our cell phones. My wife. Even the Cat responds to me. Bout the only things in the house not listening to me are my kids.

Man I'm impressed that your wife listens, can't seem to get mine to do that. And kids are a whole different ball came.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Is the Soundbox linked to your Amazon account in any way? It would seem far more likely that it's playing a track from Amazon Prime and thus the app knows that you are playing that track than that the microphone is listening to the track, interpreted it as rain songs, and fed that to Amazon Skynet.

No it is an el cheapo thing. No wifi or anything just make crummy noises.

————————————————

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What app are we talking about?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What app are we talking about?

Amazon shopping app on the iPhone.

————————————————