SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Study finds that men and women react to unsolicited nude images differently
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Study finds that men and women react to unsolicited nude images differently Login/Join 
posted
File this in the "Well, Duh" file folder.

link

It's flattering for a man to get an unsolicited nude picture sent to him by a woman.
But if a man does the same thing, he's branded a pervert.
At least, that's the conclusion of a new study by scientists in Texas that has shed light on double standards when it comes to sexual harassment.

They looked into the differences in how men and women respond to messages that include nude photos.
According to the latest findings, both genders were judged equally when sending solicited sexts.
But researchers found unsolicited racy messages got a very different reaction depending on the gender of the person that sent them.

The study, conducted by Southwestern University, in Texas, asked 122 university undergraduates to read a brief vignette which described either a woman or a man sending a solicited or unsolicited nude picture to an acquaintance of the opposite sex.

Participants – who were equally split between men and women – were then asked to report back on their perceptions of the scenario.

The results were damning for men, with a majority of participants labelling the behaviour as ‘sexual harassment’, compared to the ‘flattering’ reaction that their female counterpart received.
Dr Traci Giuliano, corresponding author of the study, told MailOnline she anticipated the study would show a harsher reaction towards male behaviour.

‘Honestly, I wasn’t surprised by the results,’ she said. ‘As the mother of a high school student who just graduated, I’ve seen – much to my dismay – over the past 4 years that the unsolicited sending of nude pictures to females by males is pretty rampant and started in middle school, at least in the US.

‘My daughter and other girls certainly feel harassed by the barrage of unsolicited pictures – often accompanied by requests for pictures of the girls.

'Our results bear out that others have the same reaction.’
According to the study, female sext message senders are more likely to be seen as likeable, compared to men who send the same type of text.

The study notes: ‘This pattern of results is consistent with previous research showing that women tend to have more negative attitudes and outcomes regarding unsolicited sext messages, such as feeling uncomfortable or threatened, whereas men tend to express feelings of flattery.’
‘Men are subject to stereotypical masculine ideals that dictate an obligatory sexual interest in women’s bodies,’ it adds.

According to the researchers, these latest findings demonstrate how education around sexually explicit messages needs to improve.

While female recipients often see unsolicited sext messages as inappropriate, men tend to forgive the behaviour because of societal pressure to react positively to a sexual advances.
This could ‘blur the inappropriateness of unsolicited sext messages sent from women,’ the researchers warn.
Dr Giuliano, who works in the Department of Psychology at Southwestern, said: ‘I’m hopeful that the recent attention to issues like this – from the Harvey Weinstein scandal to the intense focus on Title IX on US college campuses – will make everyone aware of how unsolicited sexts are received and potentially decrease their occurrence',

Dr Giuliano and the team believe future research should examine participants’ rationale behind why they rated some genders as more inappropriate than others.
The researchers have also suggested looking into whether men and women are judged differently when they forward a nude photograph they have received to a friend.
The study, entitled ‘Not Cool, Dude: Perceptions of Solicited vs. Unsolicited Sext Messages from Men and Women', was published today in the journal, Computers in Human Behavior.

Quote ‘Men are subject to stereotypical masculine ideals that dictate an obligatory sexual interest in women’s bodies,’ it adds. - Yup, its society's stereotypical masculine expectations that oblige me to be interested in the female form...and all this time I thought it was biology. Roll Eyes

I'd love to know how much was spent on this "study".

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It reminds me of this this cover from Time magazine in 1992. Amazing discovery - MEN AND WOMEN ARE BORN DIFFERENT!!!

http://content.time.com/time/c...641,19920120,00.html

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
‘Men are subject to stereotypical masculine ideals that dictate an obligatory sexual interest in women’s bodies,’ it adds.

This comment from the "study" indicates to me that there was little science involved here, only opinion and feelings.

I doubt that being exposed to "stereotypical masculine ideals" is a major cause of admiring the nude female form for most males, indeed we are hard wired as a matter of biology.

Once again the feminists are trying to tell us that if we only played with pink dolls our attitudes would be more like theirs.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
‘Men are subject to stereotypical masculine ideals that dictate an obligatory sexual interest in women’s bodies,’

Not even close; but thanks for playing.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They needed a study to figure this shit out....

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
It seems to be a biological fact that men in general are more visually stimulated than women. That's why skin magazines are so popular with men while women tend to prefer reading romance novels.

Yeah, I hope they didn't spend a bunch of money on this study. Big Grin

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Men want the 'tang, women control the 'tang, therefore, men are the aggressors and women are the defenders.

Now, where's my gov't grant money?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is this kind of stuff that makes psychologists look like idiots. The conclusion is a commonly known fact. I have little time for academics who publish studies such as these. There are plenty of things about human behavior that merit further study.

There are a few psychologists who spend time studying threats and evaluating them. The application of these things to real life situations is worthwhile. The above study is junk science.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I recall the saying that
Men fall in love with their eyes.
Women fall in love with their ears.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It is this kind of stuff that makes psychologists look like idiots. The conclusion is a commonly known fact. I have little time for academics who publish studies such as these. There are plenty of things about human behavior that merit further study.

There are a few psychologists who spend time studying threats and evaluating them. The application of these things to real life situations is worthwhile. The above study is junk science.

The idiots are the ones that award the grants.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
really

that took a study?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Who wants to receive an unsolicited nude photo of a man anyway? And I'm talking about women. The male body is not "beautiful" like a woman's is. Hers is a piece of art. His is utilitarian. It's for getting around, like a Jeep. (I think I heard that on Seinfeld actually)

I'd be willing to bet most women would not be as offended receiving an unsolicited nude photo of a woman as they were of a man.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Study finds that men and women react to unsolicited nude images differently

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Men are subject to stereotypical masculine ideals that dictate an obligatory sexual interest in women’s bodies

Guilty. Frown

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
But researchers found unsolicited racy messages got a very different reaction depending on the gender of the person that sent them.
So, if a woman sends a man pic to another woman, it ain't so bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikeyspizza,

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Anthony Weiner is a pervert?

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Men are subject to stereotypical masculine ideals that dictate an obligatory sexual interest in women’s bodies
No, it's innate- hardwired into us.

In the words of Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock, "It ain't tactics, honey. It's just the beast in me."

If men weren't such horndogs, the human race would have died out by now.

Woof

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I can't believe some idiot approved and funded this study. Therefore I'd like to apply for funding to conduct the following studies.

If people see black as a darker color than white.

Whether your hand gets wet if you put it in water.

Does eating generally satisfy hunger

Does drinking satisfy thirst

Does consuming alcohol make you intoxicated (limited to select test subjects, not open to volunteers)

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post