SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    quietest 1 ton diesel pick up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

quietest 1 ton diesel pick up Login/Join 
posted
While waiting at the farm store , A 1 ton super cab long bed pulled in a space near me,

there was almost no engine noise , then I read that it was a diesel !

I was amazed at how quiet it was and talked to the fella about it.

as we talked , three more diesels parked, and they were most definitely diesels, and you did not have to read the label on the side of the truck.

He was very happy with his truck, motor and auto transmission .

Is ford the quietest diesel truck ?
or are there some that are more quiet?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
All of the newer ones are remarkably quiet. My 97 F-250 Powerstroke sounds like it has rocks in the crankcase.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
a buddy was looking at new Ram diesels a couple years ago....I was standing at the front bumper and didn't realize it was running all the time I was there....

the new Fords are pretty quiet too.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a guy three houses away has an old dodge p/u,
and if my windows are open , I cam hear him coming and going

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2016 Ford F250. It is hard to tell it's running when you are standing close by. They are almost too quiet.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
All of the newer ones are remarkably quiet. My 97 F-250 Powerstroke sounds like it has rocks in the crankcase.

nothing like a 7.3! my 97 F250 has a muffler and cat delete. heheh

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New diesels use a high pressure common fuel rail, from which they can pull tiny amounts of diesel at a time. Instead on one large spray, as with a traditional diesel, the computerized system can deliver very small amounts of fuel spaced appropriately throughout the compression cycle. This results in lower emissions and a quieter burn. I believe they can have up to 5 injections per cycle.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Mine is a `97 F-250 Powerstroke. It's a little quieter than the average diesel pickup. I've been told, although I don't know if it's true, than the louder a diesel is the more power (or mileage, depending on how much you put your foot into it) you get out of it. Sounds like an old wive's tale to me, but I only have the one sample to go on.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
[slight thread drift but not much]
a few years ago attended a tractor pull, with various classes of tractors from stock to mighty-far-tweaked versions.

The higher HP models all had incredible augmented sonic output as well. Some were very high rpm with monstrous smoke, others ran at far lower RPM higher torque as the sled weight moved ever forward.

A couple guys right behind me became very engrossed in discussing engineering changes with each model, reciting various technical features and how it affected output, reliability, repair process. They turned out to be high end agricultural machinery dealer techs for a large tractor chain in the area.

It was a real education just sitting there between the machinery on the track & the guys who had to fix the stuff when it broke.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and then he tells me that they have put a knob on the dash , and when you pull this knob out , that it locks all four wheels .

he said that he had planned on buying a set of snow tires and rims, but he is going to wait on that purchase, having used the current tires for two winters

Saluki
posted Hide Post
That knob is likely an electronic locking axle. On my 1/2 ton it is on only the rear axle.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The knob on my F350 does three things. Pull it out and it locks the rear differential. Turn it one notch clockwise and the transfer case engages the front axle and locks the front hubs. Turn it one more notch clockwise and the transfer case shifts into low range.

Yes, the newer diesels are quiet. I swear my F350 is quieter than my 2004 Golf TDI was.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so there is no lever on the transmission hump ? at all ?

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I have the same truck as you and I like the sound, My neighbor has a brand new Ford dually diesel and likes the sound of mine better.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
All newer diesels are quieter than old ones. I've never noticed one make in favor of another. Common rail with electronic fuel injection meters the fuel a few smaller shots at a time rather than a big slug all at once. A new Dodge/Ram Cummins is much quieter than my brother's first generation, mechanical direct injection one. This comes at a cost, however, both with additional ante and with extra complexity and repair costs if it breaks.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
so there is no lever on the transmission hump ? at all ?

There is not. My understanding is that it's because I got the flow through center console. The regular center console has a lever. Something I didn't know, the Superdutys with the lever can be towed four wheels down behind say a motorhome because their transfercase can be shifted into neutral.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We've been driving Ford F350 or F250 diesels for 20 years. When my wife first got in my new 2013 F250 she asked, "Are you sure this is a diesel? It's too quiet". The loudest thing on this truck is the tires. It's a joy on the highway.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
And then you have the jackwagons that make a billowing smoke exhaust pipe that is a foot in diameter, either in the normal place, or, for the particularly wanker jackwagons, they drill a hole through their bed and pretend they are a Peterbuilt. And if you can't see their damn smoke billowing, you can still hear them from a mile away.

I've driven diesels all my life. Never felt the need to adjust for my own size by having a big pipe.

Just as annoying as the Honda Civics with the 2 foot spoilers and bumble bee exhausts.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My son went on a sailing adventure and it started on the Missouri river and ended in Panama via Cuba. I offered to tow the 35 foot lead keel sailboat to a launch point in Afton Missouri using a good friends 1 ton dually Chevy Duramax. The boat was quite heavy but the truck pulled it no problem. At one point during the trip the captain who was sitting in the passenger seat asks: "Why didn't he get a diesel?"

He was used to small 3 and 4 cylinder marine diesels. He'd been riding in a diesel for over 50 miles and didn't know it.

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
It's pretty impressive how quiet they have gotten. I don't think my 2006 Dodge is too loud (compared to some of those that have been modified), but it is a little louder than the new version.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
... for the particularly wanker jackwagons, they drill a hole through their bed and pretend they are a Peterbuilt. And if you can't see their damn smoke billowing, you can still hear them from a mile away.

I've seen a few of those around here - one has a single stack that has to be at least 16" in diameter. I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to cut a hole in their pickup bed and lose that precious cargo space.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post