SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simplify, then add lightness - New Project Pg 6
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simplify, then add lightness - New Project Pg 6 Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Check out the speed academy wankel build Speed Academy. The videos of the rebuild are pretty good in that they have a very knowledgeable wankel rebuild expert help out...

Video

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Fun!

Too bad I don't live one neighborhood over anymore! I could have come over and nodded and supervised and whatnot. Wink We don't make it out that way much these days.

We're looking for a Beetle for me and my son to do a Meyers Manxter.

Where'd ya stop for boudin?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
This project made me remember reading about how people sometimes use two stroke premix in their Wankel/13B engines. I decided to do an interwebs search to figure out if the Wankel rotary engine is more like a two stroke or more like a four stroke engine. I know the premix is because of the apex seals.

The 13B uses an oil injection system, using some oil from the oil pan.
Going dry sump will negate that system & I'll have to go with premix.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Fun!

Too bad I don't live one neighborhood over anymore! I could have come over and nodded and supervised and whatnot. Wink We don't make it out that way much these days.

We stopped at Billy's on the W side of Lafayette, in Scott.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of a car that runs premix. How much do they smoke? Is it anything like a vintage 1970’s two stroke motorcycle? I’m assuming it’s not that bad. Given how it fouls up an exhaust and plugs the tuners are probably trying to reduce that delicious blue smoke as much as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Fun!

We stopped at Billy's on the W side of Lafayette, in Scott.

I could tell by your picture that you were at Billy's.
Hey the I-10 traffic is fun everyday in Baton Rouge. That bridge can be a nightmare.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
About the thread title: Maybe “Simplicate” rather than “Simplify”.

“Stout is remembered for his engineering credo, "Simplicate and add more lightness." This would later become best known as the adopted maxim of Colin Chapman of Lotus Cars. It actually originated with Stout's designer Gordon Hooton.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...ushnell_Stout#Legacy

“The late Ed Heinemann was a designer at Douglas Aircraft. He was responsible for the A-4 Skyhawk, a single-seater with an empty weight of less than 10,000 pounds that served for a long time as the smallest carrier-based attack aircraft in the Navy's arsenal. It embodied the now-famous design philosophy emblazoned on Heinemann's office wall: "Simplicate and Add Lightness."

https://www.flyingmag.com/technicalities-5/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I love the idea of a car that runs premix. How much do they smoke? Is it anything like a vintage 1970’s two stroke motorcycle? I’m assuming it’s not that bad. Given how it fouls up an exhaust and plugs the tuners are probably trying to reduce that delicious blue smoke as much as possible.

None of the RX7s I've driven were smokers, but they were all relatively stock.
Hopefully this won't be either, with running a pre-mix, unless I can find a solution for the oil injection system.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bit of progress last night. Got the diff pulled (which was Tetris'ed in there), pulled the brake/clutch pedal box & associated master cylinder reservoirs, started trying to organize the web of wiring to get all that pulled.

Picked up some Ospho & a wire brush, hoping to start on that soon.

Photos to follow once I pull them off the Nikon.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Is the frame commercially/professionally welded or do you have to worry about a garage hobbyist welding that entire structure up diving into turn three hard on the brakes at 100 mph with your ass in it?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Cool, nice project!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your project brings back memories. Autocross raced a modded '93 RX7, it was no pooch. The car I couldn't touch was a Caterham Super 7 JPE, driver was very good as well. Always lusted after that car.

Look forward to seeing your progress. Have fun!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Is the frame commercially/professionally welded or do you have to worry about a garage hobbyist welding that entire structure up diving into turn three hard on the brakes at 100 mph with your ass in it?

Fully homebuilt, will be going over every joint & weld before painting the frame/chassis.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I'm glad you are going to do that, as it would be a worry.

Fascinating project, and I'm jealous! Looks like a ton of fun to build, and will be amazing with that high revving rotary in the nose.

Good luck and please keep the pictures coming!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Almost done moving backwards. Spent a bit of time in the garage over the weekend.
Got the diff pulled, which was a bit of a chore, as there are 2 longitudinal crossmembers that prevent it from dropping straight out. Took some creative maneuvering to get 1 side of the upper diff mount to clear it, then the other side dropped out easily.
Finished clearing the cowl/dash/firewall. Pulled the brake/clutch assembly & their respective M/Cs, pulled all of the wiring & components (possibly the part I'm lease looking forward to in the future), and got the front brake lines pulled.
I gave some effort to trying to remove the engine/trans, but was not able to separate them far enough to pull them individually. The bellhousing on the trans hits the trans tunnel rails before it's able to fully separate from the engine & the engine is flanked on 3 sides by frame rails, so it cannot be easily moved either. New plan, with them reattached to each other, is to raise them as a single unit, slide forward, then separate them again to remove the engine; trans should follow forward easily.

Just have the accelerator pedal & engine/trans to pull, then I can start rustoration, followed by finish welding & installing the missing bits for the rear suspension. Then comes frame paint & reassembly can begin.

Current status:

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Small victory/progress.
Got the trans pulled last night. Took a bit of maneuvering, but it dropped out pretty easily & was a lot lighter than I was expecting.
Now I just need to recruit some assistance removing the lump of 13B & I can start on the frame.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Recruited some help & the engine should be coming out this afternoon.
That'll be the last backward step & things can start moving forward.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Down to the bones.
Recruited some help in getting the engine removed, and wow that 13B is heavy for being so small.
Got the frame up on a couple tables & at a more workable height to start on the cleanup. Going to order a dye penetrant kit to check the finished welds on the frame then paint.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Check out the speed academy wankel build Speed Academy. The videos of the rebuild are pretty good in that they have a very knowledgeable wankel rebuild expert help out...

Video

Happened upon Speed Academy yesterday & watched a couple of their teardown/assembly videos & am midway through their 10k RPM build.

Was looking at the 'dead' 13B that I have & on a whim gave the clutch a spin. Engine spins freely with no noticeable dragging/snags.
Planning on disassembling it to see how it looks inside & assess if it's maybe viable to rebuild.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not much to report this week, so far. Hoping to get some garage time this weekend.

Popped up a Dexter Kill Room rust tent in the garage to try to mitigate the rust dust to a secluded area.
Have worked back to almost the firewall area with a wire brush, lots of nooks & crannies in the engine area.

Also got a lot of the parts stored away & off the ground right next to the work area. Makes getting around the frame a lot easier.