SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planet 9? Pffft, old news! Now there's a Planet 10!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planet 9? Pffft, old news! Now there's a Planet 10! Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
And it's supposedly much, much closer to us. This hasn't received very much press however. Probably because nothing's been verified.

Regardless, exciting times for those in the astronomy business!

Link

Planet 10? Another Earth-size world may lurk in the outer solar system
By Hanneke Weitering Staff Writer-Producer
Published June 23, 2017

A planetary-mass object the size of Mars may be lurking in the outer solar system.

A planetary-mass object the size of Mars may be lurking in the outer solar system. (Heather Roper/LPL)

A planet-size object may be orbiting the sun in the icy reaches of the solar system beyond Pluto.

Scientists at the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory (LPL) have determined that an unseen object with a mass somewhere between that of Earth and Mars could be lurking in the Kuiper Belt , a region beyond Neptune filled with thousands of icy asteroids, comets and dwarf planets.

In January 2016 , a separate group of scientists predicted the existence of a Neptune-size planet orbiting the sun far, far beyond Pluto — about 25 times farther from the sun than Pluto is. This hypothetical planet was dubbed "Planet Nine," so if both predictions are correct, one of these putative objects could be the solar system's 10th planet.

The so-called "planetary-mass object" described by the scientists from LPL appears to affect the orbits of a population of icy space rocks in the Kuiper Belt. Distant Kuiper Belt objects (KBOs) have tilted orbits around the sun. The tilted orbital planes of most KBOs average out to something called the invariable plane of the solar system.
More From Space.com

Kuiper Belt external-ct
January 2016 external-ct
Planet Nine external-ct

But the orbits of the most distant KBOs tilt away from the invariable plane by an average of 8 degrees, which signals the presence of a more massive object that warps its surroundings with its gravitational field, researchers said in a study due to be published in The Astronomical Journal.

"The most likely explanation for our results is that there is some unseen mass," Kat Volk, a postdoctoral fellow at LPL and the lead author of the study, said in a statement . "According to our calculations, something as massive as Mars would be needed to cause the warp that we measured."

These KBOs act a lot like spinning tops, Renu Malhotra, a professor of planetary sciences at LPL and co-author of the new study, said in the statement.

"Imagine you have lots and lots of fast-spinning tops, and you give each one a slight nudge … If you then take a snapshot of them, you will find that their spin axes will be at different orientations, but on average, they will be pointing to the local gravitational field of Earth," she said. "We expect each of the KBOs' orbital tilt angle to be at a different orientation, but on average, they will be pointing perpendicular to the plane determined by the sun and the big planets."

It may sound a lot like the mysterious Planet Nine , but the researchers say the so-called planetary-mass object is too small, and too close, to be the same thing. Planet Nine lies 500 to 700 astronomical units (AU) from Earth, and its mass is about 10 times that of Earth. (One AU is the average distance at which Earth orbits the sun — 93 million miles, or 150 million kilometers. Pluto orbits the sun at a maximum distance of just less than 50 AU.)

"That is too far away to influence these KBOs," Volk said. "It certainly has to be much closer than 100 AU to substantially affect the KBOs in that range."

Though no planet-size objects have been spotted in the Kuiper Belt so far, the researchers are optimistic that the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST), which is currently under construction in Chile, will help find these hidden worlds. "We expect LSST to bring the number of observed KBOs from currently about 2,000 to 40,000," Malhotra said.

"There are a lot more KBOs out there — we just have not seen them yet," Malhotra added. "Some of them are too far and dim even for LSST to spot, but because the telescope will cover the sky much more comprehensively than current surveys, it should be able to detect this object, if it's out there."

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Horse shit

Someone's in need of a new government grant, I take it?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
How do we see celestial bodies at vastly greater distances and not see this relatively close planet?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Horse shit

This! NASA does it, climatologists do it, etc. I'm beginning to think the science community theorizes a bunch of crap, sells it as fact for popularity, and or funding. The scientific method is gone. (Neal DeGrasse Tyson).

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Horse shit

This! NASA does it, climatologists do it, etc. I'm beginning to think the science community theorizes a bunch of crap, sells it as fact for popularity, and or funding. The scientific method is gone. (Neal DeGrasse Tyson).

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/345uegSj-zQ

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31378 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
WE CAN'T SEE IT BUT IT'S THERE!! NOW GIVE US MONEY TO FIND IT PERMANENT-LIKE!!!

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
How do we see celestial bodies at vastly greater distances and not see this relatively close planet?

...looking through this dirty window, this crud-covered screen, all of these trees, with all of these leaves on them, and I don't know how many bushes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Seven bushes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I just love this latest trend of "Scientists have discovered an Earth-like world in a distant galaxy."

Holy cow. No, no, no. Look into the details of how they're claiming fo find these celestial bodies that they cannot even see.

God, it's intelligence-insulting. Just come out and say "We want the government to give us money so that we don't have to get real jobs and serve an actual purpose in this life."
Come on, just say that. Be honest, at least, huh? Stop acting as if you think all non-scientists are stupid children who will believe anything you tell them.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/4394VCS7POE

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and I just love this latest trend of "Scientists have discovered an Earth-like world in a distant galaxy."

Holy cow. No, no, no. Look into the details of how they're claiming fo find these celestial bodies that they cannot even see.

God, it's intelligence-insulting. Just come out and say "We want the government to give us money so that we don't have to get real jobs and serve an actual purpose in this life."
Come on, just say that. Be honest, at least, huh? Stop acting as if you think all non-scientists are stupid children who will believe anything you tell them.

Breaking news!

They've even got an expert and wonderful pictures...

...need to say more? Wink

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/5djpUM__Iy8

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
We don't "see" those distant planets--what we see is a temporary dropping of the light from the star and from that size of the difference in illumination and the timing can calculate the size and mass of the planet. Also, from analysis of the light making its way through the planetary atmosphere it is possible to determine what that atmosphere consists of. In the case of the possible planets in the Kuiper Belt and beyond, there is no star being occluded to make possible those determinations.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Horse shit

The primary goal of gov't funded research is to create the need for a follow-on contract.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If we cant see it, but its there, perhaps its in the realm of a worm hole or similar. Maybe that's how the aliens travel to our galaxy.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Planet-9.com is a pretty nifty hangout......

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scientists at the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory (LPL) have determined that an unseen object with a mass somewhere between that of Earth and Mars could be lurking in the Kuiper Belt, a region beyond Neptune filled with thousands of icy asteroids, comets and dwarf planets.

Well then, there's bound to be a whole lot of Earth/Mars size bodies in the Kuiper Belt. LOTS of grants to be had for studying them. Wink

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Let me know when they find Planet X....NIBIRU!

Until then I'm still pissed about Pluto..."Pluto, you're my boy!"

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
....why, you've never heard of "Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen"? Even Hoyt Axton wrote songs for 'em....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post