SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    any thoughts on how this will be working out, in Iowa city ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any thoughts on how this will be working out, in Iowa city ? Login/Join 
posted
http://www.thegazette.com/subj...n-iowa-city-20171012

do gooders on patrol

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm sure it will be an amazing success. Because feelz.

[/sarcasm]

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sure hope SHOUT doesn't become SHOOT!

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They just had a seminar here in the Yoop on "Bystander Intervention". But it has not been applied to the degree they are doing it in Iowa City.
After I saw the story on the seminar I thought it was less bystander intervention and more invitation to an ass kicking.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta have a tricky name for this crap to work.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
If they clean up all the puke near the Airliner they will have served nobly.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I can't see this ending well.

Nosy nellies gonna get the crap beat out of them.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Preliminary, it seems like a good program. Particularly for people who traditionally are either going to jail or the hospital. There was some concern that they would be trying to to be the police, but that just isn't the case.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Their bright orange shirts will make it easy for police to find their bodies behind the dumpster.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Tough crowd.

I guess I am getting old. I remember when we used to encourage young adults to get involved with civic duty.

Call me crazy but if my choices are a drunk kid tries to drive, a cop has to spend time arresting a kid for bad judgement, or a fellow student makes sure they get safely home to sleep it off I know which one I am picking.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they never even consider this in Chicago.

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
The Guardian Angels revisited.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may work, it's fellow Univ of Iowa students they're helping. I too was skeptical about "bystander intervention," but for the most part this will be drunk students acting stupid, not violent.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I love this kind of thing.

Feel good plan, no idea or concept how to accomplish it (if even possible), send untrained people out into an area and call it "innovative", then declare success.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
The road to_________ is filled with good intentions. You supply the operative word.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I for one hope they'll do well. Hopefully they stay within their scope and help fellow students get home safely without trying to play LEO. Police officers have more pressing needs than to deal with drunk college kids.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Back in the 90's at SMSU here in Missouri, I got to "play" Judge and jury as a student member of the J-Board.

The Residential Advisers "played" police.

Underage drinking, possession of alcohol, vandalism, parking violations, and all sorts of other rule breakers would be caught and "ticketed" by the RAs. They would then appear before us where we heard their case, determined their guilt, and if guilty doled out their punishment.

This kept the police and other college staff free to focus on the real issues that they should be facing instead of being tied up dealing with petty BS.

Doesn't sound like anything new, just a different variation. We had 3 J boards that met one night a each week. It wasn't uncommon for us to have 20 or so students to deal with on our night. That's 60 or more calls that the police didn't have to respond to each week, and 60 or more students that didn't eat up other staff resources.

People complain that much of what the police have to deal with is petty BS, yet when a program is implemented to ease that burden they complain that others are "playing police". I guess that means that some are more happy complaining than finding solutions. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:

Is the airliner still there?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Could be a good thing. Exposing some snowflakes to the real world might have a positive impact.

One can always hope.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:

Is the airliner still there?

It is. One of the few "original" downtown bars still in operation.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post