SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to sell a gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to sell a gun? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I find myself in the odd position of wanting to sell some of the guns I no longer shoot. Having never done this before, what do I need to know to sell guns on this site to other members, who will more than likely be out of state? I'm mainly concerned about how to ship and if I can ship guns myself to their FFL, or do I need an FFL to send them for me.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2751046041

This is a start. Read the other sticky in Classified. Lots of buyers here.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wasn't aware that it was possible to do that. I'll let you know if I ever do.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I find myself in the odd position of wanting to sell some of the guns I no longer shoot. Having never done this before, what do I need to know to sell guns on this site to other members, who will more than likely be out of state? I'm mainly concerned about how to ship and if I can ship guns myself to their FFL, or do I need an FFL to send them for me.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

Thanks

1- You can ship it yourself, provided the receiving FFL will accept transfers from non-FFLs. Most FFL dealers will accept from non-FFL.

Per ATF, handguns cannot go by USPS, unless you are a FFL yourself. They have to ship by 3rd party shipper (FedEX or UPS), which is quite expensive.

Long guns can go by any shippers, but USPS is usually cheapest.

2- Usually it's cheaper just to to use your FFL to ship the gun to buyer's FFL, especially shipping handguns, because your FFL can ship handguns via USPS (but you cannot).

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also use the ShipMyGun.com website that is a service of Bud's Gun Shop and FedEx that'll save you a bunch when shipping a handgun, which must be sent overnight. A quote from the FedEx store was a touch under $100 while shipping through ShipMyGun was a little under $40.

For rifles I'd just use USPS for best prices.

With regard to whether you can ship it yourself vs using an FFL, that is entirely dependent upon whether the receiving FFL will accept from an individual. I've never personally come across one that won't accept from the individual but they're out there.

Another thing to point out is to make sure you leave a copy of your driver's license in the box so that the recieivng FFL can log your information. Also, it'd be a good idea to leave some information about the purchaser so the FFL can have a way of contacting them upon delivery.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advice everyone.

I had never heard of Ship My Gun - I'll have to check it out.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I've bought and sold a gaggle of guns (maybe 1.36 gaggles), and somehow "ship my gun" was new to me. Learn something new every day.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post