Notify
Tools

Smart TV Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:

We have multiple tv’s in our house not all the same make. With a firestick on each tv I do not have to explain to others that this smart tv’s app works different than the tv in the den. Much less in house app support.

Our provider is about to go the same route. Have you had any issues with the firestick hookup? My main TV (smart tv) is connected via Ethernet cable. No idea if that will still
be beneficial or not. We have 1 gig service.

No problems with our fire sticks in our house. We have 5 tv’s but only 2 are usually on at the same time. All our fire sticks are using WiFi. You can get an Ethernet adapter from amazon for the fire stick. I recommend the 4K fire stick. Fast performance and volume on/off on fire stick.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Consider a standalone box like a Roku for $50. They generally work better than any built in option.

I’d do that and never even enter the wifi info into the new tv itself.

Best Buy has a lot of options for under 400.

That was true in the past but I’m not seeing it with my new TCL Roku TV. The Roku functionality is as fast or even faster than the Roku stick it replaced plus it’s nice not having to change Source to go to cable box or DVD player; they now show up as a tile in the Roku menu same as Netflix and Disney+

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Haven’t shopped for a TV in awhile.

However, bought a Smart TV in 2014 and now it is Dumb.

If there is a good Dumb TV, that would be your best option.

Buy a Dumb TV and hook up a Smart device such as Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, etc.
Upgrade the Smart Device when it becomes Dumb with age.

I had the same experience. I learned the smart tv I bought in 2016 thanksgiving was apparently outdated in 2019 christmas.

OP should just get a tv from a mfg that's good like Samsung and expect to need to pair it with a Roku stick at some point in the future.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just bought the SAMSUNG 65" Class 4K UHD 2160p LED Smart TV with HD today for $478.

My first smart tv. The thing is bad ass, set up was easy. Literally 10 minutes from the box to watching tv and cruising through apps.

Sound is nice, loud and crisp. Picture is super sharp and clear. I recommend it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Samsung. End of conversation. Best picture. Ease of use and setup.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all. Good info to make a decision.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
My buddy just got a new Sony 65" with all the smart stuff in it. I helped him get it hung up on the wall, then we turned it on.

There's a setup wizard. About a third of the setup screens were saying things about accepting you will be seeing their ads, etc. "Want this feature? Then you have to see ads, click OK!"

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My wife ended up getting a 40" Vizio today. Picture is nice and it has Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Youtube TV, which is what we were wanting.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
Ya know, I hate that answer. You may have had terrific service from Samsung, but I lost two Samsung TV's within the first year of ownership. As such, I;d say the argument is far from over. For me, my money goes to the current value champ line up, the new TCL TV's with built in Roku. They do virtually everything well, have terrific displays, and usually cost substantially less than their Samsung, LG, etc competition.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me to the TCL with Roku recommenders. I also have several Vizios, and other brands as well.

My big issue: I couldn't get the Disney Plus app with the Vizios. It is easily downloadable and easy to place on the home screen with the Roku interface.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I thought we needed a ‘smart TV’ too. The older Son is the household IT guy. He said we just need a modern TV then make it ‘smart’ with a Roku stick.

The TV is much less expensive this way, no actual apps on the TV itself. I think our TV was under $250 or so, fairly large.

We have the Roku stick as interface to Wi-fi, all the streaming with antenna for local stuff. It’s better than any cable for a fraction of the cost.

I realize it’s simple stuff for those versed in such matters.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
Ya know, I hate that answer. You may have had terrific service from Samsung, but I lost two Samsung TV's within the first year of ownership. As such, I;d say the argument is far from over. For me, my money goes to the current value champ line up, the new TCL TV's with built in Roku. They do virtually everything well, have terrific displays, and usually cost substantially less than their Samsung, LG, etc competition.

Agreed.

Additionally, visual attraction is subjective. There are technical baselines for TV's and standard tests to determine them by which other TV's can be compared but then visual acuity and color perception can vary from person to person.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post