Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart TV Login/Join 
Picture of bayouman
posted
I am in the market for a smart tv and gathering info is one commercial after another. Has anyone gotten a smart tv lately and tell me both good and bad. My budget is $ 500.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
The TCL Roku TV's are fantastic for the price. The 4 series is great and the 6 series competes with much more expensive TV's.

I have a 75" Samsung QLED and three TCL Roku TV's and I can't find anything better on the Samsung even though it cost $1000 more.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have a TCL Roku 4k. 50 or 55"

Works great as a projection screen in one of our conf rooms. Have heard good things on using them as a TV as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15315 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Check out TCL 4K RokuTVs. Bought two this past year: Series 6 (2018) 65" and a Series 5 (2018) 49"

Series 6 is what you want. The 2018 models (55" and 65") are at a great price point now that the 2019 ones have just been introduced.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 3 Visio 55" TV's and all have been flawless. Not to mention the first was much more expensive as the prices have dropped dramatically.

Oldest is 5yrs old, then 3yrs old, and the last was purchased last year.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
We bought a Vizio 58" from Sams during Christmas time for $298. Great picture. 4K HDR, V series.Plenty of apps, Airplay, free Vizio TV, Pluto channel,....nice TV

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My brother has an LG OLED 55". It appears to be a very nice TV with one MAJOR exception for me...for some reason LG must not have rights to the NHL app because it's not available/listed in the "LG Content Store" for download to the TV. That is an INSTANT no sale for me. Not sure what $500 will buy you in the LG OLED line, though.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just checked costco go to the web page and login if you are a member, they have over 20 TV under $500 from various manufacturing companies.

Lots of choices.

IF you move up to $550 they have a Samsung 65 in 4K UHD LED/LCD tv

https://www.costco.com/samsung...oduct.100498843.html

Posts: 23445 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We have the Samsung Q60 smart TVs. Very easy and you inky need one remote if you stream tv. We don’t even have it hard wired. We just run wireless from the router.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Haven’t shopped for a TV in awhile.

However, bought a Smart TV in 2014 and now it is Dumb.

If there is a good Dumb TV, that would be your best option.

Buy a Dumb TV and hook up a Smart device such as Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, etc.
Upgrade the Smart Device when it becomes Dumb with age.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Haven’t shopped for a TV in awhile.

However, bought a Smart TV in 2014 and now it is Dumb.

Buy a Dumb TV and hook up a Smart device such as Roku, Apple TV, Firestick, etc.
Upgrade the Smart Device when it becomes Dumb with age.

I agree. I have a smart tv that is now dumb.

We have multiple tv’s in our house not all the same make. With a firestick on each tv I do not have to explain to others that this smart tv’s app works different than the tv in the den. Much less in house app support.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

I don't know if it's even possible to buy a dumb TV any more. You see: The manufacturers found they could sell "smart" TVs more cheaply, then more than make their money back by selling customers' data.

Don't believe me? Read, actually read the Terms and Conditions Of Service to which you agree before the "smart" features will be enabled.

We have a shiny new 55" LG we bought at Costco. I read the Terms and Conditions Of Service. Said "nope" and let it remain a dumb TV. The only reason it's even connected to the network is for firmware updates.

quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
We have multiple tv’s in our house not all the same make. With a firestick on each tv I do not have to explain to others that this smart tv’s app works different than the tv in the den.

That's essentially what I've done, here in the ensigmatic household.

I plan to eventually replace the Fire TVs and Android TVs with Apple TVs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:

We have multiple tv’s in our house not all the same make. With a firestick on each tv I do not have to explain to others that this smart tv’s app works different than the tv in the den. Much less in house app support.

Our provider is about to go the same route. Have you had any issues with the firestick hookup? My main TV (smart tv) is connected via Ethernet cable. No idea if that will still
be beneficial or not. We have 1 gig service.

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I bought a TCL Roku TV recently and love it.

They are quite a good deal for the money, mine was $285 out the door for a 50” model.

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 65" Vizio about 3 years ago, and when I set it up that night, I noticed very uneven lighting on a completely white screen. I took it back and got a replacement. It wasn't nearly as bad, but I still notice uneven lighting here and there.

I'm not talking bad about Vizio, but I am not brand loyal when it comes to TVs. I'm not up on the latest, but my wife will probably get a new 45"-50" Sunday. I need to read up myself. She only cares it has Netflix, Youtube TV and Amazon Prime.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
TCL will probably get you the best bang for your money. They're like the Camry of TV's.
This is a good sight for comparisons, tech specs and legit testing. https://www.rtings.com/

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Consider a standalone box like a Roku for $50. They generally work better than any built in option.

I’d do that and never even enter the wifi info into the new tv itself.

Best Buy has a lot of options for under 400.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a 70inch vizio from target for $520. It's great.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
The TCL Roku TV's are fantastic for the price.

This. Get a 5 or 6 series. (Not the cheaper 3 or 4 series.) They're the best value in "budget" smart TVs these days, and their picture quality in particular rivals that of $1k+ brand name competitors.

If you have some wiggle room in your budget, you can get a 55" TCL 6 series for around $550 (plus tax): https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Cla...id=1579356200&sr=8-3

Otherwise, the TCL 5 series has slightly fewer bells and whistles, but you can get a 65" for around $450 (which will be right at your $500 budget after tax): https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Cla...id=1579356357&sr=8-3

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the dumb tv with a smart device connected camp too. My 12 year old 58” Samsung plasma soldiers on while the attached Roku device has been upgraded 3 or 4 times. I use harmony remotes to unify everything.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post