SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I use a cordless drill as a makeshift router to use on plastic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use a cordless drill as a makeshift router to use on plastic Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Would a file or rasp, a hand tool, work? Just work it by hand?

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Get a cheap router from Harbor Freight.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Watched the video. Absolutely no to the drill. That router they're using is a trim router. If you knew what you were about you could probably do what they're doing with a Rotozip and a bit with a guide bearing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
In the video he is using the router backwards climb cutting. No a drill will not work. Jus go buy a good hand held one they are 70 bucks Harbor freight is cheap junk, don't support them.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I was looking to install a Bullring tie down in the bed rail of my truck. My model requires some trimming of the plastic bed rail for installation. Bullring has two router bits to use. One is a cutoff wheel and the other is a finishing bit. Could I get by using my cordless drill?

I'm in New Castle, just north of Pittsburgh. You can borrow a router from me.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I don't own a router but I have several dremel tools with a ton of attachments. That's what I would use.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I don't own a router but I have several dremel tools with a ton of attachments. That's what I would use.
I doubt you'd get that custom bit on a Dremel. Looks like a 1/4" shaft on the bit.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I'm going in with the guys that suggested the dremel route, especially if you have no other use for a router in the future. A router can only be used as a router. A dremel has many various uses other than routing, as well as being a lot cheaper.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Routers turn at about 30,000 rpm,drill about 1200
Just buy a cheap router and save time and aggravation.

This is the way to go, a cheap router is way more controllable for your task.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rent a router , they are $19.00 for four hours

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I doubt you'd get that custom bit on a Dremel. Looks like a 1/4" shaft on the bit.

You don't necessarily need their custom bit. It's just a cutter with a guide bearing on the bottom. You adjust the bit depth so the bearing rides on the inside of the metal channel/socket/whatever-it's-called and the cutter trims the plastic to conform to the shape and size of that thing.

As I said: Rotozip bits are available that do the exact same thing. Only difference being Rotozip bits, being of much smaller diameter, aren't actual bearings, per se, but just a part of the end of the bit that's not a cutter.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Almost as foolish as using a drill press as a mill.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Routers turn at about 30,000 rpm,drill about 1200
Just buy a cheap router and save time and aggravation.

That's MY answer, too.

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post