SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I use a cordless drill as a makeshift router to use on plastic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use a cordless drill as a makeshift router to use on plastic Login/Join 
posted
I was looking to install a Bullring tie down in the bed rail of my truck. My model requires some trimming of the plastic bed rail for installation. Bullring has two router bits to use. One is a cutoff wheel and the other is a finishing bit. Could I get by using my cordless drill?

2:15 in the video for the cuts

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
With sufficient care, it should work.

Just be aware that you'll have to physically control the depth of cut rather than relying on the base of the router to do it.

Go slow, keep it perpendicular and watch for a tendency to grab.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Borrow a router. Or maybe rent one. At best, you’ll be unhappy with the results if you use the drill.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I agree with Sigjacket. Rent or borrow a router. You won’t be able to control it with a drill, and a drill doesn’t spin nearly as fast as a router. It will walk all over and become a mess, aside of being dangerous.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Yes you can, but as sigjacket pointed out, you will not be happy with the results.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I agree with Sigjacket. Rent or borrow a router. You won’t be able to control it with a drill, and a drill doesn’t spin nearly as fast as a router. It will walk all over and become a mess, aside of being dangerous.

This! I have done a lot of router work thru the years, and there is no way I would try to use a cordless (or any other) drill as a router.

Check with some of the tool outlets (lowe's or Home Depot for example). As I recall the HD here rents tools.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's not just the speed. A router is designed for side pressure on the bit, a drill is not.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would use a Foredom Tool and a cutting tool to grind it away.

I have used the A-7143 cutter head to do this type of work.

https://www.foredom.net/produc...speed-steel-cutters/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, they have designed the bits to install it correctly. The installation will look professional if done their way.

You’re spending what, $70 for the tie downs? A router costs about the same, but you’ll have that tool later when you need it.

Not the most ethical thing to do, but you can also buy a router, use it for your four cuts, dust it off and take it back.

I would suggest buying one and having it around.

That said, buy the bits and tools to do the job right. You have a what, $40k truck? Don’t cheap out on the bed mounts and end up with it looking like crap. You’ll regret that if you do.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Routers turn at about 30,000 rpm,drill about 1200
Just buy a cheap router and save time and aggravation.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not a chance in hell, IMO. Wrong speed. Wrong ergonomics (for control). No base for depth or guide reference.

Borrow or rent a router if you must, but, if you try it with a drill motor I predict a hack job will be the result.

And find some way to practice with the router beforehand. They don't behave the way you might expect, and it's not as easy as the guys on TV make it look to be.

The only tool I'd try something like that with, other than a router, is perhaps one of my Rotozips.

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Not the most ethical thing to do, but you can also buy a router, use it for your four cuts, dust it off and take it back.

"Not the most ethical...?!?!" It's entirely unethical. I can't fucking believe somebody on SF would actually have the gall to even hint at suggesting such unethical behaviour, much less what you've just done

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The only reason I might try it is because I have decades of experience working with hand tools and most importantly... the tie down you are installing overlaps and hides the cutout, But then I have a router to so...

Surely you know someone that owns one, ask around.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
If you have a Dremel Tool, they make an attachment for routing. Might be a cheaper alternative than buying a router.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Maybe ill have to stop by the evil Harbor Freight and see what they have.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Might be worth a try with a drywall cut out tool...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, borrow or rent a router.

The RPMs of a router 7k-22k guarantee that only a tiny bit of material is taken with each bite. Using a drill will allow too much material into the bit causing a very ugly cut possibly breaking the liner.

A trim router would be perfect for this.

If a router is completely out of the question, try a grinding bit, the grinder will eat the plastic without tearing. It may melt the plastic but just take it slow.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No way in hell would I try that. The cut is way to close to the bed, I wouldn't want to damage the paint and have rust forming in a concealed location. If I was going to try something I'd either use my Dremel as a router or put a cutoff wheel in it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
I installed these on my Ram. I'd use a box knife with brand new blades before I'd try using a drill.

I suggest borrowing or renting a router (lowes) first.

Or as Skins said - Dremel. There is a router-type base available for the dremel.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use a drill as a router. What I would attempt is a small cutoff wheel on a Dremel. But I bet one of your neighbors has a router you can borrow for 10 mins.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good, fast, cheap.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post