SIGforum
God Bless Oklahoma and her citizens

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6710010744

September 13, 2018, 09:32 PM
wrightd
God Bless Oklahoma and her citizens
I just got back from Fort Sill in Lawton OK to see my daughter's graduation from Army Basic Training. In a previous post I asked if there was anything to see or do near Ft Sill, and someone posted "yes, about 500 miles from Ft Sill". I thought that was pretty funny but I soon realized exactly how true that was after I explored a little. But I was able to visit Mt Scott, a plains history museum, some swords and guns from famous generals of the Indian wars, photos of famous Indian leaders and warriors, many moving memorials for many soldiers going way back, and some Army artillery and missile technologies going almost back to the Great War.

One thing that was very refreshing though, was that everyone, and I mean everyone without a single exception, were very polite and helpful. Drivers on the road were nice to a fault, hotel clerks were nice, store clerks were nice, restaurant waiters were nice, poor and not so poor people of all kinds were friendly and kind without exception. I got pulled by a city police officer and he was exceptionally friendly and helpful (I was driving at night without lights - rental car). It was very refreshing.

So I just wanted to say God bless to the people of the great state of Oklahoma. It reminded me about the best qualities of the good people of the US of A.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
September 13, 2018, 09:40 PM
Micropterus
I was there 2 or 3 years ago. I was born there on Ft Sill. I go back as much as a I can. I love that state and that area of the state in particular. Everything you said about it is true.

September 13, 2018, 09:44 PM
Hunthelp
Lived in FS/Lawton from 64 to 76. Dad was a cannon cocker.
Have climbed Mount Scott twice.
You didn’t mention Geronimo’s grave as a stop on your trip. He’s buried on the east range. I use to spend many winter mornings jumping ponds on the east range for ducks.
I was a GS3 for several years as a lifeguard at the base’s pools as a college job during the summer. Lots of memories there.
I hunted for elk on the Wildlife Refugee north of FS two years ago and drew a blank. It was an unfortunate result compared to my 1996 refugee hunt when I took a nice cow. Between the two hunts, it turned into a once in a lifetime hunt.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt
September 13, 2018, 09:51 PM
Edmond
I was stationed at Sill twice:

2009-2010 and 2012-2013. Second stay was much more enjoyable than the first. I liked it there and wouldn't have minded settling down in Oklahoma. I love that state.

September 13, 2018, 09:55 PM
SevenPlusOne
quote:
Mt Scott

We have a Mountain?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"
September 13, 2018, 10:00 PM
Hunthelp
One of the oldest mountains east of the Rockies. Worn down to nothing considered to be a mountain elsewhere in the country, but a mountain.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt
September 13, 2018, 10:00 PM
arfmel
My wife and I have noticed the same thing. People in Oklahoma are generally very kind to visitors from other states. Even people from Texas. Wink
September 14, 2018, 06:37 AM
Wishbone
People in small town Oklahoma are the salt of the earth. I hope you had plenty of chicken fried steak and okra!
September 14, 2018, 06:51 AM
rockchalk06
We have our fair share of tools, but overall I love the state. Fishing not so much!
September 14, 2018, 07:06 AM
hile
One of my closest friends is from Oklahoma. I can completely agree with this. I was immediately accepted by a group of her friends when we went to an outing out of nowhere.
September 14, 2018, 07:24 AM
Micropterus
I talked to a lawyer in the state who gave us a seminar about the legal atmosphere in Oklahoma. He said that much of the US thinks Oklahoma is occupied mainly by military, rednecks and Indians. He said if you break down on the road, it won't be 10 minutes before one of those rednecks stops to offer help.

September 14, 2018, 09:15 AM
mrapteam666
My dad was stationed at Fort Sill in the 60's and he loved it there.

I have tried numerous times to get to Oklahoma to set up shop and had numerous interviews but never made the cut.

I always loved the area and thought the people were outstanding.
September 14, 2018, 09:23 AM
Sailor1911
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Mt Scott

We have a Mountain?

Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
September 14, 2018, 09:59 AM
elde
Born in Ardmore and grew up in OkCity & Tulsa. Folks in OK are what we used to call "normal" back then. Never knew how exceptional they were until I moved away after college. My only regret is that I never had the opportunity to move back. Im able to visit from time to time: they think I'm a Texan and they're still nice to me!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
September 14, 2018, 10:02 AM
elde
quote:
quote:
Mt Scott

We have a Mountain?

Hell, you've got a mountain range.....the Arbuckles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbuckle_Mountains

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
September 14, 2018, 10:03 AM
jhe888
Much as it pains me to say nice things about Oklahoma, they are southerners, and generally polite and friendly people.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 14, 2018, 10:06 AM
Woodman
Oklahoma is one of my favorite driving states. A few months back I drove two-lane highways from near Phoenix into Kansas and passed through the north west part of Oklahoma. Crossed the Cimarron River.

https://www.scenicusa.net/102612.html
September 14, 2018, 10:10 AM
TexasScrub
While at Mt Scott, did you happen to head over to Meers for a burger? If not, maybe next time, if its still there. Hands down, the biggest burger I've ever had in my life!

September 14, 2018, 10:22 AM
darthfuster
quote:
quote:
Mt Scott

We have a Mountain?

Well....it could be mount as in, mount a horse......

Which begs the question, who mounted Scott?

Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
September 14, 2018, 10:42 AM
TMats

They ARE good people. Growing up, Nebraska and Oklahoma had a fierce rivalry. Lots of back-and—forth, especially during the Barry Switzer/Tom Osborne days. Maybe the idea of it being an always respectful rivalry is all in my head, but I know that now fans of both teams look back fondly (and respectfully) on those years. The two teams have a home-and-home beginning in 2020. Something to really look forward to.