SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Using logic, do jelly beans contain sugar?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using logic, do jelly beans contain sugar? Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
They breed and walk among us Roll Eyes

A California woman is suing the makers of Jelly Belly jelly beans, claiming she was tricked into believing one of the company's candy products was free of sugar.

The plaintiff, Jessica Gomez of San Bernadino County, first brought the case against the candy company earlier this year, blaming "fancy phrasing" for her confusion over the ingredients, according to Legal News Line.

Gomez purchased Jelly Belly’s Sport Beans, a product marketed as an exercise supplement containing carbohydrates, electrolytes and vitamins, which lists "evaporated cane juice" on the label instead of citing sugar as an ingredient.

In the class action suit, Gomez claims the wording on the label is in violation of state's Consumer Legal Remedies Act, Unfair Business Practices Law and False Advertising Law and is designed to intentionally deceive the health-conscious consumers being targeted by Sport Beans, Forbes reports.

Jelly Belly called the case "nonsense," as stated in an April motion to dismiss the lawsuit, arguing, “No reasonable consumer could have been deceived by Sport Beans’ labeling – Gomez could not have seen ‘evaporated cane juice’ without also seeing the product’s sugar content on its Nutrition Facts panel."

But Gomez seems to have the Food and Drug administration on her side.

In May 2016, the FDA announced that the term "juice" should not be used unless referring to that of a fruit or vegetable, and that calling sugar "evaporated cane juice" is infact misleading to consumers.

The guidelines, though not law, state that "The FDA encourages firms that market sugar cane-derived sweeteners or products that contain a sugar cane-derived sweetener to review the final guidance and consider whether their labeling terminology accurately describes the basic nature and characterizing properties of the sweetener used."

But Jelly Belly, which is headquartered in Fairfield, Calif., is still arguing that the case should be thrown out for a number of reasons, primarily because "Plaintiff does not explain why an athlete—or anyone—would be surprised to find sugar in a product described as 'Jelly Beans'."

http://www.foxnews.com/food-dr...s-contain-sugar.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

She should be sugar caned.

Jelly Belly- it's got electrolytes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
To help her, I'll send her a case of sugar free gummi bears for free. Razz

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I saw what you did there! Cool

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:

Haribo? Razz Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Using logic, I would think jelly beans contain jelly.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Using logic, I would think jelly beans contain jelly.
And beans.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
And beans.

Thus, their recent reclassification as a health food.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Just tell the occifer you didn't know you were drinking alcohol; the label says "processed grape juice".

I suspect the jelly bean label was intentionally vague.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That definition is misleading, but, anybody with two neurons to rub together would take one look at it, and go "Haha! Nice try." Then there's the nutritional label.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jelly Belly does also make sugar free jelly beans and gummy bears.....the gummy bears are known to give everyone the major runs......google it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to sue the Prune pimps because it is just dried plums.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's a well known fact that all the calories are in the last one. So make someone else eat it and you are GTG.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What a dunce. Everyone knows about sugar offsets. Jelly bellys and a diet coke cancel out

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
That definition is misleading...

Yep.

quote:
... but, anybody with two neurons to rub together would take one look at it, and go "Haha! Nice try." Then there's the nutritional label.

My thoughts exactly. "Healthy jelly beans sweetened with evaporated cane juice" is right up there with the prominently labeled "gluten free beef" or "cholesterol free broccoli" you see in the grocery store aisles.

Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that those are just nonsense marketing tricks. But there are certainly folks stupid enough to fall for it.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Jelly Belly does also make sugar free jelly beans and gummy bears.....the gummy bears are known to give everyone the major runs......google it.

Those diarrhea gummy bears are made by Haribo, not Jelly Belly.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, what does she hope to get out of all this? Lifetime supply of sugared up Jelly Beans? Maybe with all of the green ones removed? How much damage could she have sustained, to be involved in a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?

Loser pays. It is all I have to say, sweetie.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
if sugar cane isn't a fruit or vegetable, what is it?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sugar cane is a grass, so neither.

Did the jelly beans taste good? If yes, they had sugar in them.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I first saw "evaporated cane juice" on yogurt. I thought it was ridiculous but I knew it was sugar.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
if sugar cane isn't a fruit or vegetable, what is it?

"Alright, alright, Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, Pluto's a dog. What's Goofy?"

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post