SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I take my GF and I take our own guns to Sig/NH?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I take my GF and I take our own guns to Sig/NH? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
We are heading to NH for classes at Sig Academy and I am trying to decide if we should take our own gear and guns or use Sigs. If I was driving a car I would take my own stuff but we are traveling by motorcycle. Supposedly Sig provides all the gear if you need it.

I would like to use my own stuff but the hassle of traveling through some of the states between here and there is scary.

If anybody has any advice on traveling through the states like Ohio, PA, NY, VT please let me know.

Question:
Should I take my own gear and guns?

Choices:
Take all your own gear and guns.
Take just your gear.
Use Sig's stuff.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
you cant ship it to yourself there? Also, we have reciprocity with your state, NY I would be terrified to drive through with a gun. VT is constitutional carry I thought?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've driven through NY and PA with firearms without any trouble more than once. Although I was in a car and not a motorcycle.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When I went to see Calvin Coolidge in Vermont a year or two ago, my conclusion was there was no way to get there driving without disagreeable risks with any kind of firearm, and flew to Manchester, then drove to Plymouth Notch.

Odds are nothing would happen, but if it did, it would be catastrophic. Why take chances?

Fly in and rent a car.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Driving through PA is not a problem. I have driven through NY for years without a problem. Have had advice from others that it is OK to do it, but try to make a point of not stopping. Probably wise to watch your speed and not have obvious pro-gun labels on your person or vehicle. No problems to be expected in Vermont or NH.

As to whether to use yours or theirs, I always welcome the chance to use/try a different weapon. Also likely that they will do the cleaning.

Because I occasionally travel to/through NY, NJ and Philadelphia I make it a point to not mark my vehicle as pro left or right. Harmless, boring, uninteresting, nothing-going-on-here is the image I prefer to portray.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Leave the guns at home. You can bring all your own gear, but Sig Academy has free loan of everything they make, including guns, mags, holsters, mag pouches, belts, etc. You can purchase ammo at the Academy.

Like others have said, don't get stopped in NY with a gun or ammo in your possession if you don't have a NY license. Same goes for MA.

Have fun! Sig Academy is like fantasy camp for gun guys. Smile Cool

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have been to Sig before but it was at an invite and I got to shoot anything they had, it was quite fun. I have a large Sig sticker on one of my panniers....haha.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are ok driving thru Ohio.

But, I would buy the ammo online and have it shipped directly to the Sig Range.

I would use their guns and gear since going by bike. About the only thing you will have room for is your clothes.

We had guys who direct ship ammo to Gunsite when we went there in May and that worked out pretty good.
We did not do it and stressed out about our SUV getting robbed at the places we stopped on the way.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
They will not store your gear so it's going to be left in the motel/hotel room. They have everything you need so why bother.

BTW, there's a great place to stay nearby that's cheaper than the normal hotels on their list.

Owned and operated by some great shooters and very gun friendly. Ask for Kelly.

http://www.plumerhomestead.com/

You can bring personal gear and ammo is available at the local Walmart unless you need frangible.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the advice. I am leaning toward either taking my gear or just using all Sigs stuff.

YAT-YAS

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
They will not store your gear so it's going to be left in the motel/hotel room. They have everything you need so why bother.

BTW, there's a great place to stay nearby that's cheaper than the normal hotels on their list.

Owned and operated by some great shooters and very gun friendly. Ask for Kelly.

http://www.plumerhomestead.com/

You can bring personal gear and ammo is available at the local Walmart unless you need frangible.

I am actually staying with an old friend that lives in Epping.

YAT-YAS

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Avoid ny with any guns.
SAFE act is not firearm friendly.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted Hide Post
Just got back from SigAcademy a month ago and did 2 classes. We drove up in a car (through NY, MA, VT, NH) with our own gear and guns. Just some information to mull over: I will say that Sig gives you the 320 if it's a handgun class. I don't think anything else was available. And the ammo is a bit overpriced. Reasonable, but you could get it cheaper elsewhere. If you do happen to bring your own stuff, it would be wise to bring magazines that hold at least 10-15 rounds because most of the drills are in increments of 5, 10, or 15. Which was really annoying with my magazine capacity of 7.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post