SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unemployment Fraud from Out of State
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unemployment Fraud from Out of State Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted
I received unemployment from Illinois and live in NC.

I've reported the fraud and done the credit freeze. What I've yet to understand is the end game from this. There had to be multiple crimes committed only to send me the information to report fraud. Are they doing this hoping to redirect the money to them by change of address and they just failed? Anyone else have this happen?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Since you did the credit freeze, have you checked your credit report? If you haven't, you should, and look for unknown accounts/applications.

You also may want to contact the IRS. I don't know if there's a way of letting them know you have identity theft issues, and may have to deal with a false return/refund scam. If they're doing unemployment scams, they may do that also.

If it gets really bad, you may have to get a new social security number (there is a procedure for this.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes it's very common these days due to the covid-related proliferation of unemployment benefits

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
I received unemployment from Illinois and live in NC...I've reported the fraud and done the credit freeze. What I've yet to understand is the end game from this...

It all comes down to how much due diligence performed by the State before electronically sending money. Google California Unemployment Fraud and you'll find that California issued payments to someone using the name of U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein???

I suggest you also get an IRS Transcript, or whatever that document is called to verify what income has been reported about you. Unemployment Insurance is taxable. I've also heard if someone is using your SSN as a Independent Contractor, Uncle Sam will be expecting you to pay taxes on that income.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Since you actually received the unemployment payment, maybe a mistake somewhere?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I've reviewed the credit reports. Nothing suspicious. After talking with my accountant we are going to file my taxes in a couple days due to the time it will take to go through the IRS pin process. He has experience with what to do if someone has already filed and it gets rejected. We will see.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found out it happened to me last November when I got a VISA debit card sent to me, which turned out to be for Ohio unemployment benefits. I live in FL, and have never worked or lived in OH. When I called up the number on the card to cancel it, I found out that they had all of my info, including DOB and SSN). I did a fraud alert on my credit, and in checking all three of my credit reports, found that one had a credit inquiry from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

So, notified them, checked my credit reports, and did the credit fraud alert. Still, I’m confused how the fraud was supposed to work. They sent the debit card to me, not the fraudster, so how was the fraudster supposed to get any money? Also been checking my credit reports, and no new accounts or unexpected credit inquiries (except for the original one for Ohio benefits). Also filed my taxes a couple of weeks ago and already got my refund deposited in my bank account, so they didn’t get that either. Not really sure what the endgame was supposed to be.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
There are a few other steps to take as well.

I bolded the portion on how the scam works if the money gets sent to you instead of the fraudster's account.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/b...t-benefits-your-name

In a large-scale scam erupting in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic, imposters are filing claims for unemployment benefits, using the names and personal information of people who have not filed claims. People learn about the fraud when they get a notice from their state unemployment benefits office or their employer about their supposed application for benefits.

If this happens to you, it means someone is misusing your personal information, including your Social Security number and date of birth.
Act fast. Here are steps that can help you protect your finances and your credit:

Report the fraud to your employer. Keep a record of who you spoke with and when.

Report the fraud to your state unemployment benefits agency. You can find state agencies here.

If possible, report the fraud online. An online report will save you time and be easier for the agency to process.

Keep any confirmation or case number you get. If you speak with anyone, keep a record of who you spoke with and when.

Visit IdentityTheft.gov to report the fraud to the FTC and get help with the next important recovery steps. These include placing a free, one-year fraud alert on your credit, getting your free credit reports, and closing any fraudulent accounts opened in your name. IdentityTheft.gov also will help you add a free extended fraud alert or credit freeze to your credit report. These make it more difficult for an identity thief to open new accounts in your name.

Review your credit reports often. For the next year, you can check your reports every week for free through AnnualCreditReport.com. This can help you spot any new fraud quickly.

One other thing: The unemployment payments usually are deposited to accounts the imposters control. But sometimes payments get sent to the real person’s account, instead. If this happens to you, the imposters may call, text, or email to try to get you to send some or all of the money to them. They may pretend to be your state unemployment agency and say the money was sent by mistake. This a money mule scam and participating in one could cause you more difficulties.

If you get benefits you never applied for, report it to your state unemployment agency and ask for instructions. Don’t respond to any calls, emails, or text messages telling you to wire money, send cash, or put money on gift cards. Your state agency will never tell you to repay money that way. Anyone who tells you to do those things is a scammer. Every time.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many people didn't get unemployment in KY because the system is totally screwed up. One man is a cook, and his name is the same name as a famous rap star. They denied his claim as false. He went to Frankfort with his driver's license and birth certificate to get it corrected.

I know food service workers who were eligible since April of 2020, and can't get a response from the unemployment folks.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
A while back here in Louisiana the amount of people applying for unemployement benefits vs the actual number being processed had gotten to the point several people have actually filed legal law suits against the state because of the time delay as well as being told that they were eligible and had been approved for benifits by one employee but another employee saying they were not eligble or could not explain the delay in receiving benifits. Stae even went so far as to hire EXTRA employees to handle the work load but according to the local news did not seem to help with the workload. Also the state is admitting to making payouts to unauthorized people and say they will go after getting this money repaid back to the state. ......... Seems like the left hand has no knowledge of the right hands actions. Government employees at their best passing the buck and saying it is not their fault. ............................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Tax return was accepted so that is a relief. Thanks to all who've responded.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My bank has limited Zelle payments to $500 per day, $500 per week down from 1500/5000. When I inquired about this I was informed it was because of unemployment fraud. Apparently, they file unemployment and we’re using Zelle to move the money out of the bank accounts the moment they hit. People wouldn’t notice for weeks or longer. The bank was unable to recover the funds from Zelle. They should bring back public hangings for these people.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
They should bring back public hangings for these people.

Wow, you're mean! I would let them live but suffer. How about public castrations, with a dull rusty knife?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
It all comes down to how much due diligence performed by the State before electronically sending money. Google California Unemployment Fraud and you'll find that California issued payments to someone using the name of U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein???

Many states are bypassing their own identification verification procedures and just issuing payments due to the backlog in claims. The state of Washington sent millions to nigerian scammers.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post