SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DIY Ceramic Coating - Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Ceramic Coating - Update Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
Bought some of Wheeler Engineering Cerama-Coat in FDE a couple months ago.
On vacation this week & finally got some time to give this a go on a couple of charging handles.

Simple, easy but time will tell how long it holds up.
That's why I wanted to test it out on these parts before putting on some upper & lower receivers.
Anyway, thought I'd post this up for anyone considering this product.

Anyone else used this?

:30mins between coats

:30mins at 300°

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Never really heard of this one but haven't been looking ~ Cerakote is what I use and it is a great product.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My issue is when I have one or two small parts I'd rather not have to mix up the CeraKote and deal with cleaning my air brush.
I mean if there is another ceramic option that works.
Otherwise I wind up making a list and waiting until I have enough parts to coat to justify (to me) the time & cleanup.
That can take a while in my case & I have friends that ask about selector switches or charging handles from time to time.
Usually just after I've done everything on my list.
If this stands up I'll be using it more on smaller items.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I hear ya on the cleanup issue and a rattle can product eliminates that albeit it can have a more limited life and cost more.
I don't mind the cleanup so much and on some small items I use Gunkote which is heat cured but not required to mix like the heat-cured Cerakote.
It is not as durable as Cerakote but a nice product nonetheless.
Cerakote high heat version does not require mixing or heat curing but is not quite as durable as H-series.
But as you say cleanup is required. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Some comparison pics .
Wheeler Engineering FDE vs. Magpul FDE pistol grip.

I ordered a CH that was labeled as FDE but arrived as a metallic something.

Wheeler Engineering FDE vs. Magpul trigger guard

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
Looks good, let us know how it holds up.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
What part would you coat if you wanted to test the durability in the shortest amount of time?
I realize that these Charging Handles don't get the workout that a pistol slide would.
But I don't have a slide or AR rail I want in FDE.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
How about a selector switch? Would test the surface against rubbing and the internal surfaces from wear. Can be had inexpensive enough... might be a good test bed.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me.
I'll pull one off one of my 300s & coat it.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Tagged. Thanks for the pics GrumpyBiker. Looks good!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Those came out great.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post