SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appliance Brad.....your assistance when you are able sir.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appliance Brad.....your assistance when you are able sir. Login/Join 
posted
We have a Whirlpool Cabrio washer, model WTW6340WW0. It threw an "Ld" code last night while my wife was doing a load of laundry. I did a bit of troubleshooting, ran through the diagnostic mode and still no luck with draining. Drained what I could with a bucket and towels and put it on it's front. The drain was clogged with a little lint, a sock, 2 bobbie pins and an old pair of underwear (not mine...LOL). Got that all cleaned out, put back together and tried a test run. Not getting anything. When I try a rinse and spin, it only makes a sound like the drain pump is trying to run, but not able to. It sounds like a low hum. I'm not sure where to go next. Is it possible the motor is burned out from trying to work through the clog or am I missing something else?

Just looking for a bit of further guidance. I also checked what I could of the pump to see if there was any debris in there. Didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
just curious -- how does a sock and underwear get out of the tub and into the drain line? I didn't know that was possible.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
just curious -- how does a sock and underwear get out of the tub and into the drain line? I didn't know that was possible.

There is a small gap between the outer and inner tubs. My guess is they got in that gap while unloading the washing machine.

Either that or gremlins......

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Huh... so it is possible to lose a sock after doing the laundry.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently so.....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

There is a small gap between the outer and inner tubs. My guess is they got in that gap while unloading the washing machine.

Either that or gremlins......

Or a... wait for it... ghost in the machine! (Cue the music.)

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay, just seeing this tonight.

LD codes are thrown because the water level switch failed to see the water empty out in in a specified time limit.

If you are hearing the impeller run and it won't drain, it is one of two things.

A) the impeller is loose on the shaft of the pump motor. This means you need a new pump.

B) there is an article of clothing blocking the outlet from the tub. You can pull the drain hose off the tub and look for an obstruction. If there is, grab it with a hemostat and pull it out.

My money based on experience is a bad pump.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad. Cleared everything out from the drain, still no luck. Went ahead and ordered a new drain pump. Should be here Thursday.......we will see what happens with replacement.

Is there anything else I need to do to reset things or just swap the pump out, hook everything back up and go?

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Pump is plug and play. Pretty easy to change out.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a bad pump. New one installed and running a load right now. Thanks!!