SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So why did you feel the need to drive my car 116 miles??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So why did you feel the need to drive my car 116 miles?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I keep a little log book for all my vehicles. I keep track of date and mileage of anything done to the car.
I don't do gas fill ups.

Well I am a touch behind on the log for the Sienna and had a chance to catch up.
In May I had the navigation unit replaced under warranty.

According to the IN/OUT mileage they drove it 116 miles.

What in the heck? At this point no big deal really I just find it quite odd.
I am getting a recall taken care of next week may ask if that is common. Should not be considering the issue with the unit was the audio side of things and not the nav. Should have never needed to leave the lot.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Donut run?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If somebody took my truck on a 116 mile joy ride without my knowledge, there would be hell to pay. At the very least, that trip to the shop would be free of charge.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
No big deal? That's a lot of unexplained driving. I would be at least a little perturbed.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe they got lost

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Even if they had to recalibrate the NAV, that mileage seems excessive.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Arithmetic error?

Or maybe...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
What about the gas gauge? I'd expect it would see a noticeable drop.
Didn't they record the mileage when they did the paperwork?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they used your van as a courtesy shuttle for other customers.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
With a panty dropper like that, they probably took it out on a date.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, it happens.

Pissed me off when someone said my car almost hit them pulling out of the campus.

I didn't pull out of the campus!
I didn't even have the car that weekend!

It was at the shop for an exhaust recall.

Owners son was out for a joy ride.

Pissed was an understatement.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to ask this without sounding like an asshole but we are all friends here, right?

How do you have time to worry about such things? Is it a left brain vs right brain type of thing that I am just not able to grasp? I could see it, maybe and still not really, if you were coddling some kind of high end vehicle where such records could contribute to collectable value later. It's a freaking production minivan, there are thousands of copies produced every year. What possible purpose could it serve to track mileage in this way?

As for the 116 miles, meh....who cares. If they wrecked it or spilled coffee in the seat or otherwise damaged the car I would be pissed. What's the useful life of the car? 200k plus miles and they used 116? Hell, maybe you forgot to carry a one Big Grin

Anyway, sorry to sound harsh but it's really more of wow type of reaction as it just blows me away that doing such a thing is as this happens. I don't know a single person who tracks stuff like that. Hell, I have a hard time remembering when the oil change is due even with the little sticker on the window from the dealer.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would care,

I did care in seattle, when i got my audi back with a toasted clutch.

My wifes new car could have any number of issues from a dip shit hot dogging it on a cold engine, and or cold oil. Let alone testing out my drift mode on my cup2 tires, or simply dropping the clutch till it fails, or bouncing the engine off the rev limiter with out launch control.

Tell me why I should not be concerned about 11k in engine damage if the fucktards could not give me a legitimate reason as to why they were driving it.

Final and best reason, it is not theirs.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
^^^
I can just look at the odo before I drop one of my vehicles off and see a 116 mile gap. No logbook needed that is NOT a lot of data there to keep track of. One number. Subtract old number from new number, bango, all you need to know.

I'd be pissed.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
With a panty dropper like that, they probably took it out on a date.

Big Grin

Posts: 5100 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Not the OP, so just spitballin' here. But:

For me, 116 miles would be about two weeks of commuting.

When I hand my car over for service, I'm handing it over for them to FIX IT, not take it on a tour of the greater metropolitan area, racking up the equivalent of two weeks driving. Screw that.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
TXJIM, I keep track of all the dates and mileages of any service done on my vehicle (like Black, I don't keep track of mieage every fill up, but my wife does). Since I have the date and mileage going in to the shop it becomes a very simple thing to check it coming out of the shop.

116 miles on my car? I sure as heck care. What got done to my car in those miles? I don't baby my truck, but I take care of it. I can't say the same for anyone else. And I also wonder, if like in Excam's story, it was a non-mechanic driver, will my insurance cover them? Yeah, I would be concerned.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Must be a personality difference that I just have not been familiar with to this point. I don't have much attachment to cars. You break it you buy it, otherwise no harm no foul.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’d be pissed. They are costing me money in gas. They are also putting unnecessary wear and tear on a piece of machinery that I rely on heavily. They also put said equipment at unnecessary risk.

Time to go nuclear.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I should add that I drive 25k miles a year in my car and we put another 15k to 20k per year on the wife's car so 116 miles seems trivial. Hell, I run out to the ranch and back on a whim often and that is 180 miles.