SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So why did you feel the need to drive my car 116 miles??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So why did you feel the need to drive my car 116 miles?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I took my '85 MB TurboDiesel in for "B" service and warranty work and got it back with food particles on the floormats and cigarette butts in the ash tray. (I don't smoke)

After the Dealership general manager viewed the car insides, I got a free "B" service. $350 at that time.

I bought a new '06 HD Road Glide and while the lot boy was bring it around to the dealership front door, he did a burn out, which both the salesman and I witnessed.

My little discussion with the salesman and the lot boy in the dealership owners office resulted in a free $100 gift card.

Like I told them....It's MY vehicle, damn it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not having grown up with cell phones it takes a bit to realize how great a tool the are. Take a photo of your odometer when you drop your car off at a dealer, leave it with a valet, etc.

That photo might prove to be invaluable.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
With a panty dropper like that, they probably took it out on a date.

I dunno. Still might have those ugly ass wheels on there.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
What about the gas gauge? I'd expect it would see a noticeable drop.
Didn't they record the mileage when they did the paperwork?

Yes, the mileage was recorded on their service sheet. I was adding it to my log that is how I noticed it.

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I find it hard to ask this without sounding like an asshole but we are all friends here, right?

How do you have time to worry about such things? Is it a left brain vs right brain type of thing that I am just not able to grasp? I could see it, maybe and still not really, if you were coddling some kind of high end vehicle where such records could contribute to collectable value later. It's a freaking production minivan, there are thousands of copies produced every year. What possible purpose could it serve to track mileage in this way?

As for the 116 miles, meh....who cares. If they wrecked it or spilled coffee in the seat or otherwise damaged the car I would be pissed. What's the useful life of the car? 200k plus miles and they used 116? Hell, maybe you forgot to carry a one Big Grin

Anyway, sorry to sound harsh but it's really more of wow type of reaction as it just blows me away that doing such a thing is as this happens. I don't know a single person who tracks stuff like that. Hell, I have a hard time remembering when the oil change is due even with the little sticker on the window from the dealer.

There are numerous reasons to document date and mileage something was done to the vehicle. Mainly for warranty purposes on the parts.
For instance I had a ballast go tonight and it is covered by a 2 year warranty I can provide the manufacturer date of purchase and install so I can get a replacement ballast.

But also since I do the vast majority of my own work I know how much time or mileage I have on brakes, filters, belts, etc.

I keep my cars for as long as possible so to help keep up with what I have done I keep the log.

Plus, I have a CPO warranty until 100k miles it is my documentation to show that it has been properly maintained if I were to have an issue since I don't have the dealership do anything but warranty work.

I can see that but wouldn't the receipt be a more legitimate proof for such things? Seems if you bought parts for a diy job that you would have a dated receipt. If you took the car in for warranty work the dealer would give you a detailed receipt. Between the maintenance schedule provided by the manufacturer and the receipts you would have all of this covered, no?

Not saying you are wrong, we are just wired different Smile

Because an organized log book is far easier to look at and find what I am looking for than a stack of all different shaped receipts (I keep those too in a folder in the house). Plus thermal receipts don't last very long at all. I got a new battery in May from NAPA and one can barely read it.

make a copy of the receipt and store it with the original

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I had a similar event with my M3 at BMW dealer in Plano, TX. They racked up 37 miles after replacing the DVD head unit for nav.

Service writer tried to pass it off as testing. Really?? The manager wasn't as dismissive, especially since it was obvious the mileage was run up AFTER the IN/OUT data had been filled in but before giving it back to me. I noticed when I got in and walked back inside immediately.

In my case, all of that work plus a updated NAV DVD was offered up. While I appreciated that, my bigger concern was not having any way to know how badly they'd run the car (think Ferris Bueller) and I made them run an overrev report to verify there had been no money-shifts on their watch.

Assholes.

If I were you I'd not just let it go.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

For the some of us, our cars are more than just appliances. Having some random douche put it as risk is worthy of termination. Job(s) should be lost over this.

Glad you clarified what you meant by termination!!

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Had a Dodge service shop drive my Ram 400 miles and then have the gall to tell me the problem was in my head.

Overheating, which I had an independent shop replace the radiator for. Now it works great.

They told me the radiator was bad from the factory with 70% blockage.

I raised hell, got a no charge and hundreds of dollars in credits for future service, which I would never use because fuck them!

Never take a vehicle to the dealer unless you have no other option/warranty issues.

Mine was under warranty, so I went to them, but damnation it's next to impossible to get them to do the repairs.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
With a panty dropper like that, they probably took it out on a date.

I dunno. Still might have those ugly ass wheels on there.

Still factory.

Trying to focus on the Mustang so don't feel like putting the money in it.
We'll see how the savings is come spring and a set of coil overs and wheels may be in store.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I’d be pissed. They are costing me money in gas. They are also putting unnecessary wear and tear on a piece of machinery that I rely on heavily. They also put said equipment at unnecessary risk.

Time to go nuclear.

To me it’s more of the idea that you don’t know how they could have abused it. Tire burn outs, full throttle runs, running full speed through pot holes, power slides etc. I take great care of my vehicles, I log everything done to them including fuel fill ups. Cars are too expensive to have some dealership moron abusing it and I’m not paying them $100 an hour for them to joy ride in it.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Good reason to have a dashcam that's hardwired into your vehicle.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
I’d be pissed. They are costing me money in gas. They are also putting unnecessary wear and tear on a piece of machinery that I rely on heavily. They also put said equipment at unnecessary risk.

Time to go nuclear.

To me it’s more of the idea that you don’t know how they could have abused it. Tire burn outs, full throttle runs, running full speed through pot holes, power slides etc. I take great care of my vehicles, I log everything done to them including fuel fill ups. Cars are too expensive to have some dealership moron abusing it and I’m not paying them $100 an hour for them to joy ride in it.

Somehow, I don't think a Toyota Sienna MINI VAN was doing any of those maneuvers!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I would have bought it to the service managers attention, and see what he had to say about it.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
just my .02, but I'd be pissed.

I don't care if it was a minivan or a Ferrari. If it was my car and they were using it for any non-service related purpose, I'd raise hell.

It's not a matter of what kind of vehicle, what they did, or anything else. If it was non-service use, they were outside the scope of their "authorized use"; in fact, it's a form of theft.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I had a Mazda pickup(rebadged Ford Ranger) the dealership was doing warranty work on. Got the truck back with 200 miles and no gas in it! Turns out they drove it to another dealership to get the work done! Needless to say I was compensated with a full tank of gas.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

Time to go nuclear.

Somehow, I don't think a Toyota Sienna MINI VAN was doing any of those maneuvers!

I think you’d be surprised at what people do. Sure, an M3 would have been more likely to be abused but just like rental cars, people tend to abuse things that are not theirs.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post