SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So why did you feel the need to drive my car 116 miles??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So why did you feel the need to drive my car 116 miles?? Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Guy I used to work with had an Audi TT that was in the shop as he had hit a deer. It took weeks turning into months and they kept telling him "not done, were waiting for parts, were still waiting for parts" and then he saw a couple of d-bags driving it around town (knew for sure by the license plate) and he went into the repair place and raised holy hell. He got it back in pristine condition very quickly as it was miraculously repaired and got some sort of settlement from the repair place (they ate the deductible and anything that wasn't covered by insurance I believe).

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30530 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
What about the gas gauge? I'd expect it would see a noticeable drop.
Didn't they record the mileage when they did the paperwork?

Yes, the mileage was recorded on their service sheet. I was adding it to my log that is how I noticed it.

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I find it hard to ask this without sounding like an asshole but we are all friends here, right?

How do you have time to worry about such things? Is it a left brain vs right brain type of thing that I am just not able to grasp? I could see it, maybe and still not really, if you were coddling some kind of high end vehicle where such records could contribute to collectable value later. It's a freaking production minivan, there are thousands of copies produced every year. What possible purpose could it serve to track mileage in this way?

As for the 116 miles, meh....who cares. If they wrecked it or spilled coffee in the seat or otherwise damaged the car I would be pissed. What's the useful life of the car? 200k plus miles and they used 116? Hell, maybe you forgot to carry a one Big Grin

Anyway, sorry to sound harsh but it's really more of wow type of reaction as it just blows me away that doing such a thing is as this happens. I don't know a single person who tracks stuff like that. Hell, I have a hard time remembering when the oil change is due even with the little sticker on the window from the dealer.

There are numerous reasons to document date and mileage something was done to the vehicle. Mainly for warranty purposes on the parts.
For instance I had a ballast go tonight and it is covered by a 2 year warranty I can provide the manufacturer date of purchase and install so I can get a replacement ballast.

But also since I do the vast majority of my own work I know how much time or mileage I have on brakes, filters, belts, etc.

I keep my cars for as long as possible so to help keep up with what I have done I keep the log.

Plus, I have a CPO warranty until 100k miles it is my documentation to show that it has been properly maintained if I were to have an issue since I don't have the dealership do anything but warranty work.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You're talking about your pimped out UCAS, right ( Urbanite with Children Assault Sienna), right ???

Can you blame them???

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should add that I drive 25k miles a year in my car and we put another 15k to 20k per year on the wife's car so 116 miles seems trivial. Hell, I run out to the ranch and back on a whim often and that is 180 miles.

That's nice.

For the some of us, our cars are more than just appliances. Having some random douche put it as risk is worthy of termination. Job(s) should be lost over this.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Yes, the mileage was recorded on their service sheet. I was adding it to my log that is how I noticed it.

quote:
I find it hard to ask this without sounding like an asshole but we are all friends here, right?

How do you have time to worry about such things? Is it a left brain vs right brain type of thing that I am just not able to grasp? I could see it, maybe and still not really, if you were coddling some kind of high end vehicle where such records could contribute to collectable value later. It's a freaking production minivan, there are thousands of copies produced every year. What possible purpose could it serve to track mileage in this way?

As for the 116 miles, meh....who cares. If they wrecked it or spilled coffee in the seat or otherwise damaged the car I would be pissed. What's the useful life of the car? 200k plus miles and they used 116? Hell, maybe you forgot to carry a one Big Grin

Anyway, sorry to sound harsh but it's really more of wow type of reaction as it just blows me away that doing such a thing is as this happens. I don't know a single person who tracks stuff like that. Hell, I have a hard time remembering when the oil change is due even with the little sticker on the window from the dealer.

There are numerous reasons to document date and mileage something was done to the vehicle. Mainly for warranty purposes on the parts.
For instance I had a ballast go tonight and it is covered by a 2 year warranty I can provide the manufacturer date of purchase and install so I can get a replacement ballast.

But also since I do the vast majority of my own work I know how much time or mileage I have on brakes, filters, belts, etc.

I keep my cars for as long as possible so to help keep up with what I have done I keep the log.

Plus, I have a CPO warranty until 100k miles it is my documentation to show that it has been properly maintained if I were to have an issue since I don't have the dealership do anything but warranty work.

I can see that but wouldn't the receipt be a more legitimate proof for such things? Seems if you bought parts for a diy job that you would have a dated receipt. If you took the car in for warranty work the dealer would give you a detailed receipt. Between the maintenance schedule provided by the manufacturer and the receipts you would have all of this covered, no?

Not saying you are wrong, we are just wired different Smile

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
What can you say? It's a swagger wagon!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'd burn down the shop.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30284 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'd burn down the shop.

Big Grin

Did they fuck with the stereo?

Because I can tolerate many small vehicle injustices, but screwing with another person's stereo settings ought to be grounds for an immediate beheading with a cold, rusty spoon.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd be super pissed if this wasn't some kind of fluke.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard from a couple guys in the business that it’s not uncommon to use customers cars to run errands and stuff. I’d go raise hell

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I can see that but wouldn't the receipt be a more legitimate proof for such things? Seems if you bought parts for a diy job that you would have a dated receipt. If you took the car in for warranty work the dealer would give you a detailed receipt. Between the maintenance schedule provided by the manufacturer and the receipts you would have all of this covered, no?

Because an organized log book is far easier to look at and find what I am looking for than a stack of all different shaped receipts (I keep those too in a folder in the house). Plus thermal receipts don't last very long at all. I got a new battery in May from NAPA and one can barely read it.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'd burn down the shop.

Big Grin

Did they fuck with the stereo?

Because I can tolerate many small vehicle injustices, but screwing with another person's stereo settings ought to be grounds for an immediate beheading with a cold, rusty spoon.

In this case yes, they had to replace it so I had to set it all up again.

————————————————

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Because an organized log book is far easier to look at and find what I am looking for than a stack of all different shaped receipts (I keep those too in a folder in the house). Plus thermal receipts don't last very long at all. I got a new battery in May from NAPA and one can barely read it.

I am confident that my lack of attention to such details has cost me money.....and it's totally worth it Razz

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Haven't worked in a Toyota dealership since 88-89 so no current experience with them. Relying on past GM experience though.

Certain electronic components had to be ordered on an exchange basis from a authorized service center as dealerships were not trained and equipped to repair things like clusters, radios, nav units, OnStar. As dealerships go, they want to get the customer's car back to them with the least down time for a lot of different reasons, lot space, customer inconvenience, loaner cars, etc. So we had to call in to the center with dealership information together with the VIN, mileage of the vehicle. Some of those electronic units had to be programmed with the VIN and mileage.

So it is possible that if they use refurbished electronic units. And that mileage could have been the mileage on the vehicle the day it was ordered, the vehicle returned to you and the higher mileage was accrued due to the distance the car was driven between those two events.

In GM, we had to hold the service order open as the mileage and document number for the labor operation had to be the same document as the part was ordered on. If not, the claim got rejected and we had to contact the service center to change their paperwork to match otherwise neither the service center or the dealership would get paid for the job.

Like I said, not familiar with Toyota but this could explain the difference in mileage too.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If that were the case it would have been far more than 116 miles as it was almost 2 weeks for the new part to arrive.
I had the vehicle that time and used it every day so it would have been closer to 400 miles since the van sees about 200 miles a week give or take.

I am going to ask them about it. I know that nearly 7 months later they'll have no idea for the specifics. But 116 miles for fixing the bad audio on the unit all was able to be done will sitting still.

If they had to diagnose an intermittent problem I could see but that is not the case here.

————————————————

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I’d be pissed. After getting my transmission completely rebuilt a year ago, I am babying my truck so I can hang onto it for another year or two.

I’d install something like this prior to next service.
GPS tracker

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1329 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Have a K-9 unit go around it. They may have used your car to transport illegal drugs.

I’d be pissed. There’s no way to tell how they drove the vehicle for 116 miles.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43797 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post