SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Saunas Inquiry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Saunas Inquiry Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Recently, my wife and I added a moderately big-ticket item to our wish list—a home sauna. There are two types, the steam sauna and the infrared sauna.

The steam sauna is the classic Scandinavian (the word sauna, I believe is Finnish) is a moist environment as water is dribbled over a hot surface to generate steam.

The more recently invented infrared sauna uses lamps to heat the interior of the sauna; as they say about Arizona before the monsoon, “it’s a dry heat.”

My research seems to indicate that initial purchase price is pretty similar; however, the steam sauna’s installation is more costly because the water has to go somewhere and a link to a drain system is necessary.

It seems to me that a steam sauna is much more desirable and that, in particular, the moist air benefit to the respiratory system make its advantage obvious.

Can I assume that members of this community have experience with both types of home saunas? What can you share?

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have looked into both as my wife and I are in the same position you are.

We have framed out a place where we intend to place a sauna, and plumbed in water and have read up on both. The steam saunas all cost more than the infrared, and take significantly longer to heat up.
As you mentioned, not only do you have to design a place for the condensed steam to collect, but you have to account for constant use or cleaning.

The infrared seems to be better for cleaning, however you must must find one with low EMF, and it is not without drawbacks. FAR infrared has a limited penetration into tissue (I think 2") which may not significant provide muscular benefit.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
In laws have the biggest top of the line Rocky Mountain in their basement.
https://rockymountainsaunas.com/

He did months of research before deciding on them. Been a few years and he is nothing but happy.
He finished out the basement bathroom with the Sauna specifically in mind.
Can’t give specifics on why he choose this but I not it was researched for months.

His only complaint was it was tedious to assemble. It is probably a 2 man job that he did alone as he’ll never ask for help.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by 280nosler:
The infrared seems to be better for cleaning, however you must must find one with low EMF, and it is not without drawbacks. FAR infrared has a limited penetration into tissue (I think 2") which may not significant provide muscular benefit.

Looks like I need to do more research.

quote:

Looks like RM only sells infrared. “They really like it” though. I don’t dismiss infrared at all, but 280nosler’s post reminds me that there’s more to learn about “FAR” and “EMF.” I believe I know what EMF is, just not with respect to a sauna.

Thanks, and thanks to justjoe, who also sent me information.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Tag for updates.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From researching this a while back:

steam rooms: Cost and possible issues with leaks and mold ruled this option out fairly quickly

Infrared saunas: There appear to be good health reasons to make sure you get the right type of infrared emitters. Some designs combine infrared heat with lights providing vitamin d as well. If one is handy with wood, some build saunas and then add the infrared part saving considerable money. Buying one second hand is another option as at times saunas are purchased and hardly used.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
From researching this a while back:

steam rooms: Cost and possible issues with leaks and mold ruled this option out fairly quickly

Steam rooms and saunas are not the same thing, and there are both "wet" and "dry" saunas.

You don't need infrared to have a dry sauna. The dry sauna I used at Life Time Fitness wasn't IR. Wood floor, walls and benches. Big ol' heaters in each front corner.

The sauna at a gym I was at many moons ago was not a wet sauna, either. IIRC, it was very much like the dry sauna at LTF, only smaller. We'd pour a bit of water on the rocks to generate some humidity, but there was never actually any visible steam, per se.

I don't recall it, or the one at LTF, having drains in the floors.

I only recall ever being in a wet sauna once. Similar kind of heater setup to the dry saunas in which I've been, but there was a small spigot that dropped a constant stream of water on the rocks. The room wasn't steamy, per se, but the humidity was certainly way up there.

IIRC, it had tiled walls, floor and benches, and there was a drain in the floor. (I don't even recall where it was, any more.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
originally posted by 280nosler:

Looks like I need to do more research.

quote:

Looks like RM only sells infrared. “They really like it” though. I don’t dismiss infrared at all, but 280nosler’s post reminds me that there’s more to learn about “FAR” and “EMF.” I believe I know what EMF is, just not with respect to a sauna.

Thanks, and thanks to justjoe, who also sent me information.

No prpblem. I am a bit of a research-o-holic, and was quite surprised about the FAR tissue penetration. I still think we go that way. BTW - the RM saunas are rated for either very low or practically no EMF.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post