SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Millennials. We have many as members here.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millennials. We have many as members here. Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
"Millennial" isn't a generation. It's a subset of a generation. While technically I fall within that range, I do not consider myself a millennial.

Please clarify. "Millennial" is indeed what oh, every source calls a particular generation.

It's not a "subset" man.

While you can find opinion on when a given generation begins and ends, for just about any generation in history, don't be peddling this "subset" nonsense.

It's OK to be insecure about your generation, Bob. But don't bullshit.

Oh sure, some people use it to refer to Generation Y, but the connotation of "millennial" is an idiot.

Don't tell me you hear "millennial" and don't think of a particular sort of person better defined by characteristics than age.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Most of us born before 1990 don't consider ourselves millennials (even though we technically are) because we tend to be able to think rationally. If you want to blame anyone, blame the boomers who created the "everyone gets a trophy" culture that spawned all this bullshit. If people weren't trying to be their kids friends they wouldn't have created an entire generation of spoiled self centered little assholes.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Oh come on, man. Even Ted Kaczynski probably knew about the Oregon Trail video game.

Let's see... 1990. Over 25 years after I graduated HS. I was at a Naval Nuclear Shipyard then managing primary and secondary reactor plant components logistics for the fleet. Yeah right, I'd be tuned into some stupid DOS game. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Who raised the millennial generation? As a rule children's character, morality and work ethic are what their parents taught them.

I had great parents who taught me a lot of invaluable life lessons and continue to do so, and I turned out better than a lot, with still plenty room to improve.

But many who were raised in the same home environments with great parents are now the same millennial fuckheads we're discussing here; so i'd also argue it's the trends and technological increases that "raised" us, most of which have been mentioned already in part, but shit like - participation trophies, no child left behind, elimination of certain hands-on classes and increase in standardized testing, the rise of political correctness, the still-growing popularity of being offended, the access to the internet and speed of communication, the rapid rise of social media, products of a growing economy, etc. etc. all had/have a huge impact on our ideals, views, and impressions of the world, feeding entitlement, resentment, jealousy, laziness, on and on.

also, I miss playing Oregon Trail, except Zeke was always dying of dysentery.

That's a good point. Children are influenced by their environment too. Not only that, but sometimes in spite of every diligent effort to the contrary, some children simply choose to be jerks. As parents interested in the best life for our children, we work and sacrifice to form a strong enough character imbued with a sound work ethic and morals in our children that they can recognize the wrong and resist. One thing that surprised me was that I began to lose influence with them around 13 yrs old. So the formative character needed to be established long before then.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
GenX here. I want to thank the Millenials for creating an insanely-great conservative GenZ because they "sick o' yo' shit." We're taking a hard right turn in a bit. Hang on everybody.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Wink It's been more than 24 hours since we last gave the Millennials a participation trophy for sticking with this thread so here is another one Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm 38, so I am an "Xennial" or the Oregon Trail generation, with an analog childhood and a digital adulthood. We span the years between 1977 and 1983 (the Star Wars Trilogy years). I self-identify as a unique snowflake who is also operator-capable of handling both Red Dawn and when Skynet becomes self aware. I am awash in Reagan Privilege and virtue signal the fall of the Soviet Union weekly.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I'm 38, so I am an "Xennial" or the Oregon Trail generation, with an analog childhood and a digital adulthood. We span the years between 1977 and 1983 (the Star Wars Trilogy years). I self-identify as a unique snowflake who is also operator-capable of handling both Red Dawn and when Skynet becomes self aware. I am awash in Reagan Privilege and virtue signal the fall of the Soviet Union weekly.

Red Dawn (1984) when that scenario was a possibility? Like more possible than a two-day wifi outage in 2018?

Skynet would have become self-aware except the Millenials cut the testing so Boomers could have all those funds roll to their 401Ks. Of course, China's gots some self-aware shit running on our Google, Apple, and Amazon devices instead.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:

Red Dawn (1984) when that scenario was a possibility? Like more possible than a two-day wifi outage in 2018?

Skynet would have become self-aware except the Millenials cut the testing so Boomers could have all those funds roll to their 401Ks. Of course, China's gots some self-aware shit running on our Google, Apple, and Amazon devices instead.

Wolverines!

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
But should we continue to malign an age group that will be eventually become the majority group on this forum?
Yes. Additionally, there is no proof millennials will ever become a majority. Baby boomers and Gen Xers are joiners but millennials are not. The generation behind you (Gen Z or iGen) is showing a lot of promise of not falling for all of the BS your generation is mocked for.

I disagree on GenX being joiners.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I was born in '81. Does that make me an ass hole or a douche bag? Or am I some sort of mix, like an ass bag or a douche hole? I can never keep this stuff straight.

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
(Gen Z or iGen)

We call em Zoomers down here, gramps xD

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are only three generations- older than me, younger than me, and same age as me.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Baby Boomers, the only generation of Americans known for spitting on servicemen returning from war.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can't spit on anyone if you haven't yet been born, Oppenheimer.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
There's a difference between being a generation of dumbasses, and being a generation of traitors.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's the matter, man? Did your roommate steal your hand lotion? Just cool it, huh?

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
There's a difference between being a generation of dumbasses, and being a generation of traitors.

Feeling a bit triggered today?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post