SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Millennials. We have many as members here.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millennials. We have many as members here. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m a millennial. I am NOT thrilled with my generation.

Self absorbed fuck weasels with an entitled mentality. Millennials are lazy fucking idiots who feel the world owes them and they don’t have to work for it.....and some of them I assume are good people. Razz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
The term I have heard recently in the sociological circles is Xennials, describing people bridging the gap between millennials and gen x (roughly 1978 to 1985). The big defining characteristic between the three groups has to do with the level of technology available during the formative years. Gen x grew up with out access to “digital@ technology and had a harder time adapting to it, xennials grew up during the transition to the digital age and assimilated fairly easily, and millennials were grew up with digital tech already in place.

I like those descriptions because it provides a societally objective criteria to the scale. I’ve known plenty of douche bags from each group.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure a lot of this out.

Being born in 1947 definitely makes me a Baby Boomer. All the hippies came from this group, but I am really not sure what the catalyst was that pulled them out and sent them down a different road. We had the same education, the same music and grew up in pretty much the same neighborhoods.

After high school, I went on to college, chased a career and have voted republican in every single election there was, starting with Nixon in 1968. Others went with Humphries, then McGovern and so on. Many of them lived the hippie lifestyle and raised their kids accordingly.

I don't get it. Maybe there is no explanation.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
The biggest issue I have with the younger millennials (as I said before) is a lack of basic critical thinking skills and hyper focus on retarded social issues.

But then again, their education didn’t really focus on that. I’m a millennial that actually got the benefit of the need to go to a library during college and dig through stacks of books.

But then again, I think most people are stupid...except most of you of course Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I have one at work I had to send home for questioning my reason for having him work Saturday.
He was not polite about it.

I've now questioned his ability to lead after I finish his training.

Maybe it is because I am so old and tired of all the BS from the "millenials", but I may very well have fired him.

In my view, for what ever that is worth, we have a divided youth in this country. The ones who understand this country and work to support and improve it. Then we have those (millenials)who simply wish to destroy it. Too stupid to realize what will happen if such actually occurs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

Being born in 1947 definitely makes me a Baby Boomer. All the hippies came from this group, but I am really not sure what the catalyst was that pulled them out and sent them down a different road. We had the same education, the same music and grew up in pretty much the same neighborhoods.

After high school, I went on to college, chased a career and have voted republican in every single election there was, starting with Nixon in 1968. Others went with Humphries, then McGovern and so on. Many of them lived the hippie lifestyle and raised their kids accordingly.

It’s been a few years, but I had seen some research on it.

Many of the “Greatest Generation” came back from WWII and had seen such horrible shit they either were checked out or overindulged their kids. Also, there was an explosion of white collar and blue collar jobs which was the first generation with that many kids predominantly raised by Moms while Dad was at work.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23247 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
The term I have heard recently in the sociological circles is Xennials, describing people bridging the gap between millennials and gen x (roughly 1978 to 1985). The big defining characteristic between the three groups has to do with the level of technology available during the formative years. Gen x grew up with out access to “digital@ technology and had a harder time adapting to it, xennials grew up during the transition to the digital age and assimilated fairly easily, and millennials were grew up with digital tech already in place.

I like those descriptions because it provides a societally objective criteria to the scale. I’ve known plenty of douche bags from each group.

The "Oregon Trail" generation.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:...
The "Oregon Trail" generation.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My wife is a Millennial, born in 1982 but she does not act like the typical Millennial we love to mock, thank God.

The only thing that took me a while (I'm a Gen Xer, born in 1972) to get used to was just how attached these Millennials are to their parents. They are VERY close and treat them more as older friends in many ways (IMO) than parents.

I COULD NOT WAIT to get away from my parents when I became old enough to do so. I still keep in touch with them and include them in my life but am NOT attached at the hip to them like so many of these Millennial types are.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Who raised the millennial generation? As a rule children's character, morality and work ethic are what their parents taught them.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Who raised the millennial generation? As a rule children's character, morality and work ethic are what their parents taught them.

True dat.

BTW, I LOOOOVE me some Oregon Trail!!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I'm going with mind-set; I know two Millenials: one served 15 yrs in the Air Guard and is now the Chief of Police for his town. His sister served 4 yrs Regular Army, 2 yrs Air Guard and now works in the National Cemetery Administration. Both deployed.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Millennials have made up the bulk of the armed forces that have served in Iraq, Afghanistan and defeated ISIS in Syria.

Only the oldest Baby Boomers served in Vietnam, with some serving in Grenada, and other than that they have royally fucked up the world in so many ways, not least is raising a huge percentage of brain-dead millennials.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

I too was born in '47' but I think I got a handle on what spawned the hippie movement. It was the anti-war and anti government crowd that escaped the mainstream population to become what they perceived to be independent thinkers and doers. They wanted nothing to do with mainstream lifestyles and escaped by smoking pot and taking LSD and pretending that they lived in a more enlightened world than the rest of us. Some of these enlightened individuals stayed in San Francisco and California and now run it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Boomers are just salty that they have one foot in the senior home at the Golf Course .

Arrgh it's your turn to putt.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I had great parents who taught me a lot of invaluable life lessons and continue to do so, and I turned out better than a lot, with still plenty room to improve.

But many who were raised in the same home environments with great parents are now the same millennial fuckheads we're discussing here; so i'd also argue it's the trends and technological increases that "raised" us, most of which have been mentioned already in part, but shit like - participation trophies, no child left behind, elimination of certain hands-on classes and increase in standardized testing, the rise of political correctness, the still-growing popularity of being offended, the access to the internet and speed of communication, the rapid rise of social media, products of a growing economy, etc. etc. all had/have a huge impact on our ideals, views, and impressions of the world, feeding entitlement, resentment, jealousy, laziness, on and on.

also, I miss playing Oregon Trail, except Zeke was always dying of dysentery.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Okay, another indication that I know little about these young 'uns. "Oregon Trail?" WTF? Had to do a search. 1990 MS-DOS game. Frown Never heard of it before. And Para wonders why some of us old farts need a thread to explain memes posted by you young 'uns. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh come on, man. Even Ted Kaczynski probably knew about the Oregon Trail video game.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
quote:
Here is the top 20 list of millennial stressors...!From the artical:Top 20 stressors for the chill-ren. ----1. Losing wallet/credit card2. Arguing with partner3. Commute/traffic delays4. Losing phone5. Arriving late to work6. Slow WiFi7. Phone battery dying8. Forgetting passwords9. Credit card fraud10. Forgetting phone charger11. Losing/misplacing keys12. Paying bills13. Job interviews14. Phone screen breaking15. Credit card bills16. Check engine light coming on17. School loan payments18. Job security19. Choosing what to wear20. Washing dishes----

In fairness; half that shit didn't exist when I was young.
Same here. (I don't know what "generation" I belong to--I'm too young to be of the "Greatest" and too old for the "Baby Boom". I was almost 4yo on Pearl Harbor Day.)

I agree that there are 2 different definitions of "Millennial"--one based simply on age and another by behavior. Aren't most "Snowflakes" Millennials of the latter type?

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Okay, another indication that I know little about these young 'uns. "Oregon Trail?" WTF? Had to do a search. 1990 MS-DOS game. Frown Never heard of it before. And Para wonders why some of us old farts need a thread to explain memes posted by you young 'uns. Frown
I'm with you on this--never heard of it, either. I think of the actual path settlers used to get to Oregon back in the 1800s.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

also, I miss playing Oregon Trail, except Zeke was always dying of dysentery.

Yup, If you give the guy a bunch of crap, you'll die from dissin' Terry too. I miss Terry. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post