SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about New York State gun laws
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about New York State gun laws Login/Join 
posted
I live in Virginia. The democrats are pushing a one gun a month law. They say criminals in New York get their guns from Virginia and that causes crime in New York. I am not real familiar with New York gun laws, other then I know they are bad. I am curious if New York has a one gun a month law? Thank you for your answers.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The liberals state that people come to va gunshows, message boards and buy guns private sale, then take them back up and sell in new york.

Well, they are partially right. there have been at least 3 cases where individuals have done that since i moved to VA from CT in 2014. IIRC one of the individuals made upwards of 30 trips.

Then there is this case, from just recently.
Guns, Cigs, and Slot machines into NYC

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Note that no new restrictions are needed to make this practice illegal, it is already so.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Regardless of where criminals make their purchases, the problem is still liberal states and cities failure to deal with criminal behavior effectively.
Chicago, Baltimore, and other places with these tremendous crime problems are proof.
If you deny criminals their tool of choice, they will find another tool.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
New York State doesn’t presently have any laws restricting the number of firearms that can be purchased during a specified period of time.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I know you asked about New York but maybe the NJ law will give you some insight. With a FID, we can buy long guns all day long. We need to apply for handgun permits, but can only purchase 1 handgun every 31 days. After 90 days if we don't purchase a handgun(s), we can get a 90 day extension before the first 90 days expire.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
We need to apply for handgun permits, but can only purchase 1 handgun every 31 days.

I wanted to get some clarification around this... I believe you need to "apply" to your local PD. They can deny your permit, then you are basically fucked for buying a pistol going forward. Is that a fair assessment?

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
We need to apply for handgun permits, but can only purchase 1 handgun every 31 days.

I wanted to get some clarification around this... I believe you need to "apply" to your local PD. They can deny your permit, then you are basically fucked for buying a pistol going forward. Is that a fair assessment?

While you now apply online to the State, The final part of the permit is to have the designated police person in your town sign it. Up to that point, the background checks, finger prints are run thru the State Police. I only know one person that was turned down locally for his permit because it the process he had a domestic battery charged against him. It has yet gone to court for dismissal.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
The NY City area has their own, even more restrictive laws, but statewide we can buy as many as we want without time restrictions. We do however have to have each handgun put on our pistol permit before we can take possession though. So you pay for your handgun and take the purchase receipt to your local county clerk's office where they issue a new permit with the gun logged onto it. Then you can go back to the dealer and retrieve your new purchase. Each handgun you own has to be listed on the permit you carry. It used to be a paper permit but a few years ago they moved to a credit card sized plastic permit. When you have enough guns you get to carry around 2 or 3 or more cards.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
No. I can buy as many handguns as I like whenever I like. When and where I can carry them is a different story Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, NY doesn't have a max number of firearms per month.

I'd also recommend the ATF guntrace data for debates like this. Per the ATF in 2018 of the guns traced at the request of the authorities in NY there 1170 crime guns traced back to NY and 473 from Virginia. However as a whole most of the crime guns traced back to states outside NY.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post