SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about backup software for Windows 10 machines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about backup software for Windows 10 machines Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I had been using Acronis True Image for years successfully with my Win7 setup. But the version I had (2013) is not said by Acronis and others to support Win10.

So I decided to try some of the freeware that is highly touted. Specifically EaseUS Todo. I am in shock that it took 3 full hours to do a full backup. My old Acronis would clock less than 40 minutes for a similar size job.

Here is the disk I backup up:

The parameters:

And the resulting backup file:

Is this normal for full backups under Win10 with medium compression?

Are there better choices out there? Macrium Reflect 7 Free or something else? Or should I stick with a paid edition of True Image?

What do you folks use and like?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
For remote backups I use cloudberry

for backups to a local/usb drive check out the backup built into windows 10

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I think I got a 5 license edition of True Image 2017 from New Egg for a nominal cost after rebates when it was on sale. Upgrade promotions for 2018/2019 are regularly pushed on me within the software for really cheap.

If you were happy with Acronis, I would just keep an eye out for deals.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You might try this: Veeam Agent for Windows
I've deployed and used it on several desktops successfully, only had to do a full restore once and don't recall the restore time but it wasn't hours.
YMMV

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I have been using Acronis for over 15 years always updating to the current version. I have never really seen a change in speed from one version to another. Mind you I have a very fast computer with fast SSD's and that maked a big difference in speed especially if compressing. Even when I backup to a USB hard drive they are not cripplingly slow. Not sure why you are having the issue upgrading to a new trial version.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I have been using Acronis for over 15 years always updating to the current version. I have never really seen a change in speed from one version to another. Mind you I have a very fast computer with fast SSD's and that maked a big difference in speed especially if compressing. Even when I backup to a USB hard drive they are not cripplingly slow. Not sure why you are having the issue upgrading to a new trial version.

There is no upgrade path from my licensed Acronis True Image 2013. Check their site. I'd be buying a new $50 license. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I update Acronis every year. Currently I do an incremental twice daily to a WD Passport 2 terabyte via USB 3.0. Anywhere from 2GB to 13GB is taking 11 min to 18 min. The last full 204.7gb backup took 1hr 55min @ 301mps.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Easiest solution for you is to just update Acronis to the current version. I run Acronis across all my Win10 computers and it works very well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Here is the Acronis 2018 version for $50, 3 devices.

https://www.newegg.com/Product...32-200-141-_-Product

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Here is the Acronis 2018 version for $50, 3 devices.

https://www.newegg.com/Product...32-200-141-_-Product

All I need is for a single computer. Here's the 2019 version which is the same $50 price on Amazon.
https://www.newegg.com/Product...Item=N82E16832200149

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
You might try this: Veeam Agent for Windows
I've deployed and used it on several desktops successfully, only had to do a full restore once and don't recall the restore time but it wasn't hours.
YMMV

2nd vote for Veeam. We use it in our shop and recommend it to our customers.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Looked at Veeam but felt it was missing some features I'd prefer. Here's a good analysis:
https://symmetric.co.nz/blog/p...-free-vs-veeam-agent

Reran EaseUS Todo Free without any compression. Don't know why my first run had it set as the 322Gb on my Boot Drive I wanted to back up include a large number of already compressed picture, audio, and video files.

I have scheduled full uncompressed backups for weekly runs at 2am Sunday mornings. My run only took 58 minutes which is what I had originally expected and is comparable to what my old Acronis True Image 2013 delivered.

USN (RET), COTEP #192