SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California lawmaker wants to stop restaurants from providing plastic straws unless requested
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California lawmaker wants to stop restaurants from providing plastic straws unless requested Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
(WCMH) – A California lawmaker has introduced legislation making it a crime for a server to provide unsolicited plastic straws in restaurants.

Ian Calderon, the majority leader in California’s lower house, introduced the measure a week ago.

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to provide single-use plastic straws to consumers unless requested by the consumer. The legislation exempts take-out and fast food restaurants.

A violation of the law would be a misdemeanor punishable by a $25 to $1,000 fine and/or a six-month jail sentence.

“We need to create awareness around the issue of one-time use plastic straws and its detrimental effects on our landfills, waterways, and oceans,” said Calderon. “AB 1884 is not ban on plastic straws. It is a small step towards curbing our reliance on these convenience products, which will hopefully contribute to a change in consumer attitudes and usage.”

A press release from Calderon’s office says an estimated 500 million straws are used in the United States each day, enough to fill more than 127 school buses.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported the proposal is far short of an outright ban that some environmental groups are pushing for.

http://nbc4i.com/2018/01/25/ca...ws-unless-requested/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’d much prefer that they ask rather than just dumping straws for everyone. I don’t use straws and prefer to avoid the clutter and waste. That said, the last thing I want is another moron legislator making another useless law.

I used to think that as part of every new law they should be required to remove two old ones. That way (hopefully) we don’t get buried in useless regulation and you only add a new law when it is worth taking out two old ones. I’m well past two now. I’m not sure twenty five would be enough...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Of all the silly shit going on in Kalifornistan, this would seem to be the silliest, most insane I have ever seen, or could even imagine.

How about we solve that problem? Just outlaw Kalifornistan! Or maybe continue that wall along our southern border up the east coast of Kali.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ah California...debating what color to paint the house, as the house burns to the ground.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I don't use a straw. I'm a grown up and quite able to drink right out of the glass. That being said, GIVE ME A BRAKE CALIFORNIA! With all the problems that state has, this is a focus for them?
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What attracts people to that state again?

While the weather may be nice, who in their right mind would think weather is worth putting up with that crazy shit for?

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Good grief! Next thing will be only allowing 3 squares of toilet paper! Save the trees and environment.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Actually, now that I think about it, back when I was a kid there was no such thing as a plastic straw. They were some sort of waxed paper spiraled wound.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a good idea but should be a educational thing and not a law with fines. they love their nanny state there don't they.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
It's about the turtles, bruh.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
exempts take-out and fast food restaurants

Well aren't take-out and fast food places the vast majority of use?

Mr. Smith, how do you plead to the charge of issuing a single use straw without a request from the customer to do so?
Not Guilty, your honor, that wasn't intended to be a single use straw... I planned on washing it and giving it to the next customer.

It seems to me a better solution would be to require that all straws be made from a biodegradable plastic. (if they aren't already)

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Wonder what the cost of enforcement will be?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The Fight For 15!!!

....years in prison for waiters and waitresses who give out straws.

What a load of nanny state nonsense. Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What attracts people to that state again?

While the weather may be nice, who in their right mind would think weather is worth putting up with that crazy shit for?

I lived in Santa Barbara from 1974 to 1977. Great weather, good salt water fishing when the bait fish moved in, and lots of shooting each weekend at the Winchester Canyon Gun Range.

http://wcgc.org/

Also fresh water fishing at Cachuma Lake.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
I don't use a straw. I'm a grown up and quite able to drink right out of the glass.
That's what I thought, then my wife pointed out that the straw, which you receive in a sealed wrapper, is likely way more sanitary than the rim of the glass.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Good grief! Next thing will be only allowing 3 squares of toilet paper! Save the trees and environment.

Thanks, if a CA state legislator happens to get wind of this, we will see the legislation here before year end. They wlil probably mandate a smartphone app to monitor and report toilet paper use. (But all in the name of saving the universe) Wink

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
If they really want to clean up the environment, they should ban disposable diapers. That would solve two problems, less garbage and fewer California babies Razz

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Wait until the straw lobby gets wind of this.

(I also don't care to use a straw. But regulating them is absurd.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, thats the new big fight for the enviro's and their quest for utopia, Tim Robbin's even put out a documentary about it titled Straws. It's all a branch off the anti-plastic quest and highlighting the plastic patches in the oceans. While I hate straws and get mildly annoyed when waitresses automatically include them with EVERY SINGLE DRINK...making it a legislative issue is ridiculous.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/...ronment-11183903.php

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, this is the last straw!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post