SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tool advice needed – what type of switch on angle grinder?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tool advice needed – what type of switch on angle grinder? Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
I'm planning on upgrading my angle grinder. My primary usage will be grinding/surface prep using discs, wire cup wheels and the like with cutting being secondary. Many positions will be involved, including overhead.

For safety reasons, I intended to get a model utilizing a paddle switch however several experienced users suggested a locking slide switch instead.

I really like the idea of the grinder shutting off if I just let go should I find myself not 100% in control of it while in an awkward position.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I have the locking slider. I bought it to strip a steel stair railing to bare metal. A momentary paddle switch would have been terrible. With all the awkward angles I was constantly holding the grinder in different manners.

If I could only have one it would be a locking switch.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have both.

I MUCH prefer the paddle switch. IMHO, the minor inconvenience of occasionally having to hold the paddle in an awkward position is outweighed by the safety factor, no contest at all.

And trust me, I'm the LAST person that will ever be accused of being a Safety Nazi.

The only reason I even keep the locker is that it's physically smaller and gets used from time to time to get into tight areas.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like mine that has the paddle switch. Most of mine have sliders. If doing a job with a large continuous area the locking slider is better but for detail on and off work the paddle rocks. Pun intended...

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer paddle.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have four grinders of both styles. I prefer paddle switches. In reality, I use a Milwaukee M18 Fuel grinder for everything now. It hurts my feelings to drag around a cord now.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I prefer paddle, I like that in order to turn it off I have to move away from from any potential danger not toward it.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A paddle switch it shall be. Thanks for the replies. sigcrazy7, I envy you that cordless M18 Fuel grinder. I have several M18 Milwaukee tools and what you say about dragging around a cord is so true.

posted Hide Post
The locking slider on my grinder turns off very easily - you brush up it against anything and it disengages. Makes it much easier to use than a paddle which often is constantly interrupting power while changing your grip.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have both. Kids and "helpers" (non-mechanic friends) get handed the paddle switch. I prefer the locking switch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
The locking slider on my grinder turns off very easily - you brush up it against anything and it disengages. Makes it much easier to use than a paddle which often is constantly interrupting power while changing your grip.

I like the lockers, too, though I have both. They all (the modern ones) have a quick disconnect. Usually you just hit the same paddle you had to use to start it while holding down the lock button, only to stop it you just hit the paddle. You can always toss a locker away from yourself if you encounter problems, and cannot disconnect easily. Angle grinders scare me into super safety mode, full face shield, leather welding jacket and gloves, etc. A cut off disk that disintegrates can easily embed pieces into your body.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've mostly used locker type but there are times I wished I had a paddle.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
what size gringer? We have a couple 9" angle grinders and several 4 to 4.5" ones (all wired). I would not want anything but a paddle on the 9" ones, but I actually prefer the sliding switch on 4" ones. Most of the paddle switches we have can be "locked on" so you don't have to hold the paddle. A quick press on the paddle releases the lock.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
what size gringer? We have a couple 9" angle grinders and several 4 to 4.5" ones (all wired). I would not want anything but a paddle on the 9" ones, but I actually prefer the sliding switch on 4" ones. Most of the paddle switches we have can be "locked on" so you don't have to hold the paddle. A quick press on the paddle releases the lock.

4.5"