SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Safe lock under floodwater question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe lock under floodwater question Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I figure any firearms in it are toast but there may be documents and other items which could have survived in some degree of usefulness.

I am confident the guns will be fine.

Strip them down and clean them. They are made of metal not sugar. Wink

In the Army we had guns soaked in torrential rains, submerged in river crossings, near flood conditions, etc. I walked through Ranger School in FL pretty much neck deep in muck for a month (did that phase twice) with an M16 and all we did was clean them as usual.

They should be fine if you get to them soon enough. Wait a couple months? Not good.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Having been through a flood in 1993 in Missouri, I'll say if you can get to the firearms you should be good to go, the problem is or was in my case, once the water receded enough for me to get to them, those levels had also fallen in the safe. I lost pretty much everything in the safe. It wa all covered in Mud and rust when I got to it.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Be careful when you open the safe, it may not have completely drained of water. Even a small amount of water pressure behind a steel door could injure somebody when it comes swinging open with force. Most safes aren't water tight, but if it was filled with dirty water some of that gunk could have plugged the drain spots as water receded, preventing it from draining all the way.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post