SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old Book On Snowshoes Karma... Winner is pwelch001
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Book On Snowshoes Karma... Winner is pwelch001 Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
Was cleaning out a box of stuff and found this old book on snowshoes. I don’t know where it came from or why I have it. It has a copyright date of 1971. Rather than toss it, I figure I’d offer it up as karma. I’ve never done this before, but I think the karmanator will be easy to figure out. I’ll pick a winner on the 24th of this month. Lower 48 only.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wingspar,

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I'm in for that. I snowshoe quite a bit and that book looks interesting. Thanks.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Remarkably, I still have that very book.
It’s interesting to think back to the time when snowshoes were something that people still sometimes made for themselves, and there were many different styles, as pictured on the cover. There was the (somewhat daunting) advice about how one style was necessary for moving through the deep woods while another was best for open country, but intermediate designs could be used for either. And then there were the different types of snow to consider. In reading a bit of what was pictured above, I recall now that the authors addressed the controversy of whether Neoprene coated webbing should be used rather than the traditional rawhide, one of whose advantages was that animals were less likely to eat it.

All that advice was of course valid, but I wonder what they would think of today’s models.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! Ive played a little snowshoe baseball up north, and i snowshoe up there regularly. Please count me in and thanks for the opportunity!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'm in. I still have a set of old snowshoes, that I still use, which I have had for over 40 years.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please let me in. I have a pair of my Dad's LL Bean snowshoes that are 65 years old.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please put me in also. I have several pairs of shoes in different styles as do my wife and kids. No aluminum and plastic here. I like to go across the playing fields of the local middle school when there is fresh snow and leave large tracks that can be seen from the upper floors of the school. It prompts many questions.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice karma, but leave me out. Too bad about L48 only. USPS Media Mail is cheap.

I was thinking this fall that my wife has new aluminum high tech snow shoes, and our daughter can pick up a pair cheaply since anything not too big will work for her, but I don't have any. Not sure I'm up to making them though.

Posts: 518 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Remarkably, I still have that very book.

I certainly did not expect someone in this forum to actually have this book. It’s a really interesting book that I know someone here will get some use and enjoyment out of it. I don’t know how I ended up with the book as I have never had any interest in snowshoes. Did a lot of x-country skiing a very long time ago, but once I started having to work in the snow, I lost all desire to play in the snow.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
Nice karma, but leave me out. Too bad about L48 only. USPS Media Mail is cheap.

I wasn’t even thinking about Alaska. I’ll go ahead and put you in.

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Inusuit is the winner. EDIT: I don’t see an email contact in your profile. 24 hours has passed. I picked a new winner.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wingspar,

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
pwelch001 Is the new winner. I sent you an email.

---------------
Gary

Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Thank you!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting, thanks for the info! I often read such things, I like to relax in my free time and read a couple of dozen pages of a good book. And for completing assignments from the university, I select help at https://papersbattle.com/best-...on-writing-services/ I recommend that you also go over and study the top 10 best dissertation writing services, there are collected deservedly highly rated resources that complete assignments quickly and quality, try it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NicholasGaffney,

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: November 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post