SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opossum breaks into liquor store, gets drunk on bourbon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opossum breaks into liquor store, gets drunk on bourbon Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
Opossum breaks into liquor store, drinks bourbon, sobers up at wildlife refuge

The Associated PressUpdated Dec 2, 1:21 PM; Posted Dec 2, 1:21 PM

FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- An opossum that apparently drank bourbon after breaking into a Florida liquor store sobered up at a wildlife rescue center and was released unharmed.

Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge officials say the opossum was brought in by a Fort Walton Beach, Florida, police officer on Nov. 24. A liquor store employee found the animal next to a broken and empty bottle of bourbon.

"A worker there found the opossum up on a shelf next to a cracked open bottle of liquor with nothing in it," said Michelle Pettis, a technician at the refuge. "She definitely wasn't fully acting normal."

Pettis told the Panama City News Herald the female opossum appeared disoriented, was excessively salivating and was pale. The staff pumped the marsupial full of fluids and cared for her as she sobered up.

"We loaded her up with fluids to help flush out any alcohol toxins," Pettis said. "She was good a couple of days later."

Pettis says the opossum did not appear to have a hangover.

The store owner, Cash Moore, says he never had an opossum break in before.

"She came in from the outside and was up in the rafters, and when she came through she knocked a bottle of liquor off the shelf," Moore said. "When she got down on the floor she drank the whole damn bottle."

"But it just goes to show that even the animals are impressed with Cash's," he said.

The animal was released on Thursday.

http://www.pennlive.com/nation...ncart_river_home_pop

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I wish the story said what brand of bourbon, because there is no way on God's green earth I'd drink what a possum drank.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1...e-him/4430391233600/

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The animal was released on Thursday.

What? No bail bond or charges filed?

I have the feeling that that possum is going to be a regular at them joint thar.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Seriously-- well, as serious as one can be about this story-- that is an amazing amount of bourbon for the possum to have consumed. And lived. Just think about the alcohol to body weight ratio.

I don't think that possum drank alone. I think it was a full-blown possum party in that store, maybe a possum drunken orgy, half a dozen, maybe a dozen boozed-up possums. And that possum was just the one too blitzed to get out before the owner returned.

The stories that possum could tell! If she could only remember....

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Excellent! My feel good news story of the day. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Seriously-- well, as serious as one can be about this story-- that is an amazing amount of bourbon for the possum to have consumed. And lived. Just think about the alcohol to body weight ratio.

I don't think that possum drank alone. I think it was a full-blown possum party in that store, maybe a possum drunken orgy, half a dozen, maybe a dozen boozed-up possums. And that possum was just the one too blitzed to get out before the owner returned.

The stories that possum could tell! If she could only remember....

It was a Teenage Possum Gang.

Which would be a great name for a garage band that plays bluegrass.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I wish the story said what brand of bourbon, because there is no way on God's green earth I'd drink what a possum drank.

It was probably Woodford Reserve and I wouldn't drink that Horse Piss either. BTW, my preference for bourbon is Buffalo Trace single cask or Blanton's if I'm feeling a bit flush.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

White Dog.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Karl Childers voice on/
"I reckon that thars one way to marinade a possum, mmm-hmm."

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get calls from alarmed residents who reported rabid raccoons.
Nope. Shitfaced. The was a berry that would ferment and the raccoons would eat them. They would then stagger around, fall off and out of things, etc. My advice to citizens was to leave Mr. Coon alone until he sobers up. No one wants their buzz harshed, least of all a raccoon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
That is surprising.
Thought opossums preferred Bombay Sapphire gin.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Guess they are going to have to change the saying. Sorry skunks, it's now "drunk as a opossum".

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
White dog isn't bourbon. Its a young pretender. It ain't bourbon until its spent its time in jail. In a virgin oak barrel no less. Oh, and white dog can be kind of harsh.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

It was probably Woodford Reserve and I wouldn't drink that Horse Piss either.

Horse piss? Woodford Reserve?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the little dude passed out long before he finished the bottle. The angels took the rest.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Dudette. A she. I'm thinking maybe the madame of a traveling possum bordello.

(How's that for a bluegrass garage-band? "The Traveling Possum Bordello.").

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It was medicinal. Just trying to refill the barrel. (Of course hers was shrunk for opossum size)

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
First we had Florida Man. Now we have Florida Opossum.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

It was probably Woodford Reserve and I wouldn't drink that Horse Piss either.

Horse piss? Woodford Reserve?

Indeed.

Nothing piss-y about Woodford.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post