SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cosmic Crisp: New apple launched that 'lasts for a year'
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cosmic Crisp: New apple launched that 'lasts for a year' Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“A new breed of apple that took two decades to develop and allegedly lasts for up to a year in the fridge goes on sale in the US on Sunday.

The apple - Cosmic Crisp - is a cross-breed of the Honeycrisp and Enterprise and was first cultivated by Washington State University in 1997.

The launch of the "firm, crisp, and juicy apple" cost $10m (£7.9m).

Farmers in the state of Washington are exclusively allowed to grow the fruit for the next decade.

"It's an ultra-crisp apple, it's relatively firm, it has a good balance of sweet and tart and it's very juicy," said Kate Evans, who co-led the apple's breeding programme at Washington State University.

She said the flesh is slow to brown and the fruit "maintains excellent eating quality in refrigerated storage - easily for 10 to 12 months"…”

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50619281

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8815 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Oh, noes: GMO! Eek

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Oh, noes: GMO!

Except it's not a GMO, rather a cross cultivar.
Read the original post: "The apple - Cosmic Crisp - is a cross-breed of the Honeycrisp and Enterprise and was first cultivated by Washington State University in 1997."

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Arkansas Black stores for a long time. I had them in the garage last up to March. And the past mailman loves them.

Depends on how it tastes? Storage is secondary. Big Grin

Look at Honey Crisp which is now going for under a dollar at some places.

Crimson Crisp is not GMO. The two approved varieties of GMO apples in the US are the Arctic Granny and the Arctic Golden. They have been engineered to resist browning by lowering the amount of an enzyme known as polyphenol oxidase (PPO), and approved as safe for human consumption by the USDA. The company that produces them also has an Arctic Fuji (not yet approved) and is working on an Arctic Gala.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
From the Cosmic Crisp site: “Classically bred by Washington State University researchers, Cosmic Crisp® brand apples are a cross between Enterprise and Honeycrisp.”

The genetics of the source apples were modified to create this new variety: Modified genetics = GMO.

Genetically modified organisms have been around since human beings have been here to modify genetics by various means, including crossbreeding.
Yes, I do know that that’s not how people are using the term “GMO” now, but that’s what they are.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'd rather see them try to bring back some of the lost heirlooms that used to be available. We've gone from thousands of local variations to a handful of "commercially viable" ones, very few of which have any character other than they store and ship well.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'd be thrilled with ripe fruit. But unless you grow your own, you'll probably never get that again.

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the Cosmic Crisp site: “Classically bred by Washington State University researchers, Cosmic Crisp® brand apples are a cross between Enterprise and Honeycrisp.”

The genetics of the source apples were modified to create this new variety: Modified genetics = GMO.

Genetically modified organisms have been around since human beings have been here to modify genetics by various means, including crossbreeding.
Yes, I do know that that’s not how people are using the term “GMO” now, but that’s what they are.

GMO means that recombinant/gene editing technology was used and cross-breeding is entirely different. If your definition of GMO held sway, everything would be GMO - including you. Trying to win an argument using definitions only you come up with is a poor strategy.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
EVERYTHING would be GMO

Touched a nerve, did I? Wink

It wasn’t a definition I came up with, as anyone who follows the subject should be aware of. Many others who aren’t afraid of frankenfoods pointed it out long before I noted their argument: we have been modifying organisms’ genetics for a long time, although people’s not so much—at least not deliberately.

But I agree that when enough people agree on a definition, that’s what it becomes. Sort of like how my ARs are “assault rifles” and “weapons of war” or a sound suppressor is a “firearm.”
Smile

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
One of the most important attributes of a good apple for me is crispness. I love a sweet tart apple like honeycrisp or jazz but absolutely HATE a mushy apple no matter how good it tastes. Nothing worse than biting into a bag of apple flavored sand. If these really stay crisp for a long time I’ll be stoked.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15492 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit confused. Are consumers really motivated by a years shelf life for their apples at a cost of almost 10 times as much as regular stuff? I'm asking as a consumer myself who buys apples primarily based on their taste. Something that lasts a year in storage is of little interest to me given the cost premium.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I'm a bit confused. Are consumers really motivated by a years shelf life for their apples at a cost of almost 10 times as much as regular stuff? I'm asking as a consumer myself who buys apples primarily based on their taste. Something that lasts a year in storage is of little interest to me given the cost premium.

I didn’t see where the apples were 10 times more expensive; I saw where the launch is costing 10m (I assumed 10 million). Where did you get that figure?

Also, crispness in the refrigerator is primarily more important along the way to the consumer, not necessarily at the house. Apples that stay crisper in stores will be crisper for purchase. I’ve had honeycrisp apples that would break like glass and some that were too mushy to enjoy.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15492 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

I didn’t see where the apples were 10 times more expensive; I saw where the launch is costing 10m (I assumed 10 million). Where did you get that figure?
I actually misread what you referenced as them being 10 times more expensive. I stand corrected. That said, is super long shelf life really that big a consideration for potential consumers? I can't wrap my head around why long (refrigerated) shelf life is that big a deal for apples.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
It wasn’t a definition I came up with, as anyone who follows the subject should be aware of. Many others who aren’t afraid of frankenfoods pointed it out long before I noted their argument: we have been modifying organisms’ genetics for a long time, although people’s not so much—at least not deliberately.
Smile

Anyone who "follows the subject"? How about one who is an expert in the subject? I've been in the biotech field for 25 years and when I hear something foolish I speak up.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
is super long shelf life really that big a consideration for potential consumers?

Potentially, yes. If apples stay fresh and crisp longer, when they’re long out of season it will be important to folks like me that place high value on a crisp apple. As I said above, it’s not that I want them crisp in my refrigerator for months; they typically are cycled out in a week (I eat a lot of them). But they can be stored after harvesting at the orchard, distributors, or grocery store and stay crisper for longer.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Extra long shelf life is a non-starter for me--apples don't stay around long at my house, because I eat them. I like a tart apple: Macintosh, Newton Pippin, Gravenstein, or Granny Smith. If they are just aa smidgen unripe, even better. I absolutely insist on a crisp apple--no Delicious or Rome for me. Jonathans are sometimes OK. Honey Crisp is OK.

However, I want the "old" Macintosh apple back--they've crossed it with something else (and not changed the name) and they aren't as tart as they used to be, nor as crisp. That may be better for the stores, but it sucks for the consumer.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exports are a huge factor and not everyone has refrigeration since we saved the world from freon.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13385 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are misreading the what they are saying...it is cross pollinated. GMO is when the DNA is changed by injected another substance.

Red Delicious has a higher amount of quercetin than most apples which gets rid of the bad senescent cells that determine your life expectancy.

So until Cosmic Crisp is tested, it may not be better for your health.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nope, not misreading anything.

The problem, as is frequently the case, is that I tend to be a literalist and when someone refers to genetically modified organisms, I think of countless examples dating back to prehistory. If someone had decided on a more accurate and limited term such as “genetically engineered organisms,” I wouldn’t have made my flippant remark because I’d have had no basis for one. And I’ll point out again that I wasn’t the first person to make the same observation; if I knew who that was, I’d give specific credit rather than allowing it to be given to me.

In any event, I had hoped to have a little fun with this thread, including somehow working “crisper Cosmic Crisp®” and CRISPR-cas9 into the discussion, but as is also frequently the case, my idea of what is humorous is at significant odds with other people’s. So I’ll leave it at that. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Its a good ol' Braeburn apple for me. We go through at least a dozen a week. I am one of those that love the tartness along with the crispness. Will give the Cosmic a try, you just never know!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post