SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon Prime price increase
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Prime price increase Login/Join 
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Amazon did not ask if I wanted to stay a member and just charged my credit card $108.41 to renew membership.

You can request a reminder of the upcoming charge if you want one. Login -> Account & Lists -> Prime View benefits and payment settings. There you can enable a 3 day reminder email of the scheduled charge.

Amazon did send out emails to their customers when they made this change a year or two ago. It is understandable that you could have missed receiving or reading the email. (Well, I received the notice of the Prime auto-billing, and it seems very unlikely that Amazon would single me out.)

quote:
I am done with Amazon prime.

If you haven't had the charge reversed, I would suggest that you or whoever does household shopping check out Prime Pantry. Receiving a box of household staples is much preferable to me to driving to/from a store, wheeling a cart around the store, and then having to wait in understaffed checkout lines.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Mine expires at the end of the month.

I can get it for half price if I had an EBT card!!!!!

Sadly I don't.

I'm just going to go splitsies with some family members and call it a day. Don't use Amazon Prime video or music anymore so I'm good.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Amazon can fuck right off. I canceled my prime membership and closed my amazon account.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Like the OP, I recently re-upped my Prime membership without receiving a warning notice.

Not picking on you, but a number of people say that they weren't given a warning notice---like they're entitled to one.

It's a membership or subscription. Ongoing, recurring charges are the norm. You don't get a warning notice from your utility provider, your cable company, or your cell phone company when your bill recurs every month.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
With a utility bill, you're paying for the previous month or time allotted and it's on you to repay the provider. With a subscription, you're paying in advance of the service, which oftentimes is voluntary. You should be given a warning for an upcoming due date for such a service, in case your interests changed.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Not a big deal. If they auto-renewed and you don't want it, just contact Amazon's excellent customer service and tell them you don't want it.

They'll cancel for you, and refund the charge.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote here to keep it. I have saved way more than that in shipping costs, much less my time spent in stores, lines, parking at the mall, dealing with idiots, etc. As others have noted, it is worth much more than $99 plus tax, to me.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My house is 45 minutes from most stores. I save more in gas using Prime than what Prime costs.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yours went up so those on welfare can get it a discount... another tax

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Well, not for another year. But it does tell you it auto-renews when you sign up.
Stop with the facts and logic. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Not a big deal. If they auto-renewed and you don't want it, just contact Amazon's excellent customer service and tell them you don't want it.

They'll cancel for you, and refund the charge.
Nah, its far easier to bitch about the epic wronging they have received at their hands than deal directly with the issue.

I think some people think they are entitled to someone setting their alarm clock for them, or better yet, waking them up daily and having a hot cup of coffee ready for them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
IIRC a few years ago the Supreme Court ruled a state can't force an out of state business to collect sales tax (ie, CA cant force Amazon to collect CA sales tax).
More than a few years ago. It was 1992.

LINK: Quill Corp. v. North Dakota (91-0194), 504 U.S. 298 (1992)

However, the US Supreme Court denied Certiorari in the challenge to the 2016 10th Circuit ruling, regarding a Colorado law which requires online retailers to report sales info to the State, so they can collect/enforce use tax laws.

The case is, LINK: Direct Marketing Association v. Brohl, No. 12-1175 (10th Cir. 2013)

Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote a concurring opinion in that case, when he was still at the 10th Circuit.

So while states can't require a business to collect sales/use tax if they sell to residents of the state, but operate outside the state, the states can require businesses to report the sales, and therefore enforce the existing use tax laws.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I'm never happy when goods and services go up, but everything is going up anyway. I despise Walmart and Target is a close second so Prime makes since for me. When I look at how much I spend with Prime it is worth it, especially with the movies.

I just suck it up and move on. I can cut a lot of other things but as long as I can afford to use Prime I will, at least for now.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post