SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Guns of Mayberry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Guns of Mayberry Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I was watching an Andy Griffith Show rerun tonight and was admiring the gun rack at the sheriff's office. I was curious to know what Andy and Barney were packing. This is what I found:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Andy_Griffith_Show,_The

Sheriff Taylor had a few others on the gun rack but other than a Winchester 94 or 92 I can't make them out?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I caught up on the AGS since it's been playing here and had a similar curiosity although not as thorough as yours. Interesting what's become of some of these guns. I understand Barney's revolver sold at auction for the surprising sum of $8000 in 2003.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered about that same question. I don't think it answers what was in the gun rack, though. Seems to me that there were long guns other than the ones mentioned, standing there?

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Andy Taylor never carried a side arm. Barney was only allowed one bullet that had to be kept in his pocket unless he had permission.

There were one or two episodes where Andy grabbed a shotgun off the rack. Otherwise he never carried

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I tried posting a picture of the gun rack but sadly I'm unsuccessful! Perhaps RogueJSK will come to the rescue?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Andy Taylor never carried a side arm.

Never?
I distinctly remember him strapping one on a least a time or two.
Here is one...
https://youtu.be/MnASBk2BJRo

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That's all good but the question is did Barney carry the same boolit all those years or did he rotate his carry round

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
That's all good but the question is did Barney carry the same boolit all those years or did he rotate his carry round

Nah, he smoked a few... just never on purpose... that I can recall.
And notice Andy with a gun on in the clip as well.
https://youtu.be/dQBhUzEsO-Y

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
well, you found two episodes that I never saw

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Aunt Bea kept another round for Barney in case it fell out of his pocket. That was in the fifth episode where Goober plays a trick on Floyd the Barber.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Deleted, learning to read/comprehend.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
There was that one episode where those guys rob the bank and Barney is ON IT because he is so wound up about Asa, the bank guard, who has a moldy bullet!!

Barney dresses up as a maid to get into the bank, but at some point (at the end of the episode) he and Asa compare bullets to see who has the shiniest one.

I have just been watching this series again, and it's the little things that get me. In one episode (season 2 or 3) a nurse comes into the Sheriff's office, and Andy is sitting at his desk cleaning his revolver. They have an entire conversation, and the gun is never mentioned because...that is just the way things are (or were). Of course a Sheriff would be cleaning his gun - who cares? Just like Barney might be napping or updating the Board, that is just things that happen.

There are many things missing from today's America than Mayberry's, but the acceptance of firearms as a normal part of life is one of them.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the episode where Opey and Aunt Bea get kidnapped, so Andy opens the weapons vault, pulls out a 1911, tommy gun and BAR then heads out to unleash hell upon the kidnappers? Or maybe that was some other show, I can't remember.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
There are many things missing from today's America than Mayberry's, but the acceptance of firearms as a normal part of life is one of them.

Don't forget the episode where Andy loses a skeet shoot to a woman! The episode is called "The Perfect Female." Andy is set up with Thelam Lou's cousin, played by Gail Davis, who happens to be a champion skeet shooter. Davis actually knew how to shoot in real life. Smile

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The episode " High Noon" > Andy receives a letter from an ex-con that he shot in the leg, years ago, in a gas station robbery attempt. He has lost most of the function of that leg. The ex-con writes that he is coming to Mayberry to set things straight. Barney assumes the worst. When Andy won't take a vacation or at least carry a gun, Barney deputizes Gomer and Otis to keep watch and protect Andy 24 hours a day. Andy is seen taking a revolver down from on top of a china cabinet..

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hit me with the
high beams, baby
Picture of wheeler10k
posted Hide Post
Collage of gunrack in Sheriff's office &Andy with a lever action.

Posts: 1007 | Location: Fortune's Happy Acre | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
The episode " High Noon" > Andy receives a letter from an ex-con that he shot in the leg, years ago, in a gas station robbery attempt. He has lost most of the function of that leg. The ex-con writes that he is coming to Mayberry to set things straight. Barney assumes the worst. When Andy won't take a vacation or at least carry a gun, Barney deputizes Gomer and Otis to keep watch and protect Andy 24 hours a day. Andy is seen taking a revolver down from on top of a china cabinet..

That's the one where the ex-con "sets things straight" by gifting Andy a shotgun, for putting him on the straight and narrow?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:

The ex-con gives Andy a shotgun as a present. The horror!

Leo Gordon played the convict--he was a great bad-guy character actor.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
When I came on the job in 1975, we have Win. 94's, M-1 carbines and Thompsons. Plus a selection of shotguns, mostly Ithaca. Plus one of the first m-16's off the line, purchased in 1965.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
When I came on the job in 1975, we have Win. 94's, M-1 carbines and Thompsons. Plus a selection of shotguns, mostly Ithaca. Plus one of the first m-16's off the line, purchased in 1965.

I started in 1975 too and the department had a Reising .45 ACP submachinegun in its armory. I never had an opportunity to fire it on the range, but when I changed agencies in 1978, my new department allowed officers to check out full auto M16 A1s so we could do some "orientation" shooting. All we had to do was to let the rangemaster know, supply our own ammo, and return it after cleaning it thoroughly! Of course what's a good "orientation day" without sharing the fun with the wife? Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post