SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vintage BMW motorcycle - need tires - suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage BMW motorcycle - need tires - suggestions? Login/Join 
posted
I have a 1977 BMW R100S - it was the next step after the classic R90S. Anyway, I need a new set of tires. The Dunlop K81 is still available and I had some of them on a bike back in the 80's and liked them a lot. Great for cornering and pretty good all around.

I think I might still put the K81 on the front, is there something that is a lot better that you might recommend for the rear?

The bike is a sport bike, so day trips are likely what the majority of the driving will be.

Thanks

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Do you want vintage tires? I wonder if Metzler ME77 can still be purchased. For usable tires Michelin Pilot Road Sport are nice.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Tires have advanced exponentially.

Vintage might be nice for its own sake, but modern tires will be MUCH better.

See if radials fit your rims. You won't regret it.

Try Revzilla.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I like Dunlops. I would also consider Avons, especially if you like a sticky good-in-the-rain tire.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Dunlop has a $40 rebate deal going on this month

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Back when I rode an R100RT I was quite fond of Metzler. I was in my local pusher's shop and noticed they had an older R100RS on the floor, and it was wearing Metzlers. I assume that means they are still available for the older bikes with the skinny rims. Sorry, but I didn't look hard enough to see exactly what tire it was.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to ride a R100RS and my favorite tires were Metzelers. I would see what they have available.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I preferred Continentals on my 1978 R100RS. I did try one set of Metzlers but I found that the Continentals did a better job for me, on rough roads, or highways with goofed concrete, the Continentals felt a bit more stable than the Metzlers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im a fan of Avons

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I preferred Continentals on my 1978 R100RS. I did try one set of Metzlers but I found that the Continentals did a better job for me, on rough roads, or highways with goofed concrete, the Continentals felt a bit more stable than the Metzlers.

Continental tires were OEM on the R75/7 I owned in the late '70's. I used Metzler tubes.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post