SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for a good hiking type shoe/boot for general wear.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for a good hiking type shoe/boot for general wear. Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
Looking at hiking type boots/shoes with a composite toe to wear for daily wear. Hot or cold weather, light & durable.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Looking at hiking type boots/shoes with a composite toe to wear for daily wear. Hot or cold weather, light & durable.

I love my Salamon 4D GTX. I've worn them in deep snow, and on summer hikes and camping.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

I love my Salamon 4D GTX. I've worn them in deep snow, and on summer hikes and camping.

I have a pair of these as well for hiking/backpacking/bad weather. IMHO they're a little overbuilt for daily wear. They are light for their size and can withstand some moderate abuse. They dont have a safety toe but does have a rubber toe cap to prevent abrasions. If you really need a safety toe take a look at Danner, I know they have a few models that have them.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what model they were but I had a pair of North Face (similar to the Endurus) that were supper comfortable and I pretty my wore them bald.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am hell on boots. So I don't do any of the cheapish Keen or other third world produced boots.

Light and rugged, dependable, etc. Don't generally go together.

I am a big fan of the Zamberlan boot that fits your criteria. It is a leather boot. 996 vioz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Merrell Moab Ventilator

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I really like Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX, I wear them year round, they feel more like a tennis show than a boot.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Merrell Moab Ventilator

Another vote for these - really enjoy mine.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
light & durable.

Columbia trail meister mid
They are lightweight and about as comfortable as tennis shoes so I wear them for cutting the grass and other yardwork.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Merrell Moab Ventilator

I like the mid height in these. I am on my fourth pair.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

Salomon's are my favorite as well. I alternate between my 4D GTX boots and X-Ultra shoes depending on the weather forecast. Asolo makes good boots too but they are a little narrow in the toe box.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Lowas that I am very happy with.
I think I may try a set of Scarpas next
http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-bo...gid=footwear#start=1

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Keen Targhee is what fit me best. Trying them all on if you can as they all fit very different.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck over the years shopping for boots at REI. Good selection and return policy. There is one located in Fairfax.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like Lowas.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
Salomon Xa pro gtx forces 100 %. I have the quest 4 d's and the Speed Cross as well.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1272 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like the Keen Rialto Traveler, in light-weight every-day hikers.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
REI's got some good deals on Merrell, Keene and Oboz starting today through next weekend.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Merrell Moab Ventilator

I like these as well. I've used them hiking in Tennessee Summers, Indiana autumn and winter, and spring in northern Minnesota. I've slipped off stuff and into water while using them in all three places. Along with Smart wool socks, they walk dry, and don't seem to help generate blisters.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post