SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I can't be the only one---Best phone charging cord?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can't be the only one---Best phone charging cord? Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Anker powerline 2- available at amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-P...r=8-4&ref=mp_s_a_1_4

These are the cables I use. I've had them about 4 months and have had no issues with them.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Anker braided as well but I have also had really good luck with the Amazon basics

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Paracable - been using them for years and never had an issue, and I'm tough on these.

https://paracable.com/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
We use the Anker ones for our iPads in the ambulance and they seem to be holding up well. I even ordered one for personal use and it's holding up well. I like it so far. You could also look at Monoprice (www.monoprice.com). I've had good luck with their cables and chargers.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I buy Anker cords. I only went for one of the expensive, braided-jacket ones once, for in my truck, because... well, because Smile

So far neither my wife nor I have had a single charging cord, USB or Lightning, go bad. (KOW)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
My cat chews mine. He prefers thicker white cables.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I know I'm only a sample of one, but since switching to iPhone in 2010 I can't think of a single cable that has ever broken or stopped working in our house. Guess we're just not as hard on them.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
....But I have a question: how are these cords wearing out?

....Are you maybe wrapping the cord into small circles such that it stresses and breaks the wires inside?

An easy way to help avoid this is to wrap the spring from a click pen around both ends. Some springs fit very snugly and might require looking for a larger spring.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
One thing to do once in a while is to clean out the charging port holes on phones. You's be amazed at the amount of pocket lint dirt and general crud coating everything in the hole and especially packed down at the bottom by you pushing that connector in every day. Many times the charging cord is blamed when in actuality, there's so much crap in the holes that they simply cant get a good connection.

What works REALLY well without hurting anything is the soft plastic toothpics on the ends of the plastic flosser thingies for flossing and picking your teeth. It's small enough to get to the bottom of the hole, and stiff enough to snag out lint and scrape dirt particles, but not stiff enough to tear out or break connections. Run the toothpic part around the bottom of the charging port and also lightly scrap across the electrical connectors after getting most of the crud out of the bottom.

I'll have to remember this. Great tip.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple Native Union cords that are a good few years old and still work great. They're pricey but they seem to hold up well.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
Here’s another vote for Anker. I use their car chargers as well. Got the five port charger for family trips.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1271 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I used a long Anker braided cord. Over time the end cracked I imagine because of the weight of the cord. Anker has a great warrant. They replaced it. I used the reciept from Amazon, a picture of the cracked end and a picture of the serial number tag attached to the cord. They replaced it with no questions.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I’d recommend anker on Amazon also. But I have a question: how are these cords wearing out?

I’ve never had one wear out on me. I bought extras for traveling. Are you maybe wrapping the cord into small circles such that it stresses and breaks the wires inside?

Thought I read that Apple reformulated the plastic to be more eco-friendly.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a braided BYZ cable that works great and seems very well constructed.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Anker Braided.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Amazon basics has been a good cord. Ive tried several Ankers and they crap out at the same failure rate or quicker than OEM apple cords in my experience. The Amazon basics cords seem to last about twice as long.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this cause relevant: $8 Aker Cord.
https://kinjadeals.theinventor...hare&ks=nativestream

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Anker cables are marginally better than others. I have about 15 dead Anker cables in a box. They feel nice and heavy duty with the braid and thicker jacket but that is not where they fail. Same thing with Amazon basics cables. Now, I just wait for a deal to pop up on Amazon and I buy 3 cables for $11.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
I used a long Anker braided cord. Over time the end cracked I imagine because of the weight of the cord. Anker has a great warrant. They replaced it. I used the reciept from Amazon, a picture of the cracked end and a picture of the serial number tag attached to the cord. They replaced it with no questions.

I ordered a pair of heavy duty rubber/vinyl jacketed Ankers, and one failed within a week. I had an identical warranty process and replacement experience, and both have been working perfectly since. So, if they replace them if they fail, why pay 3 times the cost for the braided cords?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Apple cords and Belkins.
The off brand cords died significantly sooner but were 1/3 the price.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9682 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post