SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I can't be the only one---Best phone charging cord?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can't be the only one---Best phone charging cord? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I'm ordering a couple of cords tonight or tomorrow...did several searches trying to determine what charging cord (iphone, specifically) will last longer than all the ones I've already thrown away. Even tough looking ones that you'd think would last.

It seems that everyone either takes manufacturer's money to say their product is the best, or about 5-10% of the people reviewing the cords say they are shit.

What say SIGforum? What is the best charging cord for the money?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run braided ones from Anker. I also got some for my wife who is very hard on cables.

Posts: 756 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I always buy Apple MFi certified cables.

I had an Anker braided cord that I bought while living in Can-eh-duh start smoking and had burn marks on the braids.

I've had the best luck with Amazon Basics.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If your phone is compatible, try some of the wireless charging pads. They last a lot longer than chargers with plugs, since you don't have to physically connect/disconnect them. In fact, you don't have to manipulate them at all. Just set your phone down on the pad, and pick it up when you're done charging.

The only downsides are that they charge slower than plugged chargers, and they're not really designed for use in a vehicle.

If you have an Ikea nearby, their Nordmärke chargers are a good value at under $20, and would be an inexpensive way for you to try out wireless charging. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90381986/

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Anker powerline 2- available at amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-P...r=8-4&ref=mp_s_a_1_4

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Early Apple iPhone cords didn’t last very long, but my current one has a couple of years on it, and still looks good. The Apple Lightning connector is sweeeet!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If your phone is compatible, try some of the wireless charging pads. They last a lot longer than chargers with plugs, since you don't have to physically connect/disconnect them. In fact, you don't have to manipulate them at all. Just set your phone down on the pad, and pick it up when you're done charging.

The only downsides are that they charge slower than plugged chargers, and they're not really designed for use in a vehicle.

If you have an Ikea nearby, their Nordmärke chargers are a good value at under $20, and would be an inexpensive way for you to try out wireless charging. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90381986/

I use a wireless charger primarily with my iphone, but it's the ipads/older iphones that I need new cords for. I just bought a new one for my wife but it works for her phone, but not her ipad. Plus we need two more cords in the house to be more convenient for everyone.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Anker makes good stuff.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+++ Anker from Amazon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
I run braided ones from Anker.

This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Good deal. Just ordered a 6' Anker.

-JALLEN

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend anker on Amazon also. But I have a question: how are these cords wearing out?

I’ve never had one wear out on me. I bought extras for traveling. Are you maybe wrapping the cord into small circles such that it stresses and breaks the wires inside?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I’d recommend anker on Amazon also. But I have a question: how are these cords wearing out?

I’ve never had one wear out on me. I bought extras for traveling. Are you maybe wrapping the cord into small circles such that it stresses and breaks the wires inside?

Damned if I know.

One was a 10' cord that lived a life of leisure. Plugged into a power strip under my bed, laid on the bedside stand. Plugged in at night, unplugged in the morning. Worked one day, didn't the next. Fancy, braided cord. Had another not as fancy, similar life of leisure, worked one day, didn't the next.

The Apple ones that we started with developed a kink behind the phone plug end that eventually led to it not working.

At least two have grown legs.

I try to keep a cord in both the kids' rooms, one on my wife's side of the bed, one downstairs, one in my Jeep, one in my wife's car, and one in the car I usually drive at work. It seems the ones in our bedroom are the weakest links. None of them see much abuse, if any.

I also ordered some mini-usb to apple adapters for the bookoo droid phone cords I have laying around from before I switched.

-JALLEN

Member!
posted Hide Post
One thing to do once in a while is to clean out the charging port holes on phones. You's be amazed at the amount of pocket lint dirt and general crud coating everything in the hole and especially packed down at the bottom by you pushing that connector in every day. Many times the charging cord is blamed when in actuality, there's so much crap in the holes that they simply cant get a good connection.

What works REALLY well without hurting anything is the soft plastic toothpics on the ends of the plastic flosser thingies for flossing and picking your teeth. It's small enough to get to the bottom of the hole, and stiff enough to snag out lint and scrape dirt particles, but not stiff enough to tear out or break connections. Run the toothpic part around the bottom of the charging port and also lightly scrap across the electrical connectors after getting most of the crud out of the bottom.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only a warrior
chooses pacifism
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with the Native Union charging cables. I like their 10’ cable which is long enough to reach the outlet behind my bed and has the weighted ball attached to it which keeps the phone-end of the cable on top of my night stand. I also use the shorter belt cable for travel and use the strap to keep the cable neatly bundled up.

Posts: 203 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My experience, they all go bad eventually, so I have changed my strategy. Instead of buying "good" quality and hoping that they will last, I now buy cheap ones and get extras so I'm ready for the inevitable failure.

Monoprice.com seems to offer decent bang for the buck.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iPhone- Check the phone socket for Lint. My phone was charging intermittently so I took it into the Apple Store. Yup just lint preventing the charging cable from seating.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The one-meter $7 "Genuine" Apple usb to Lightening pissed out within days. It will work if you crimp it just right.

I told the seller I want my money back (but ain't holding my breath), and will be buying an OEM from Apple for almost 3x the price.

I should have read the reviews. 7,000+, 900- ... that's a failure rate of 10%

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We like the Anker braided ones. None last forever. We have half a dozen scattered between vehicles and the house, so it's hard to say exactly how long.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-B...ghtning%2Bcable&th=1

We try to stick with the 3' as longer cables sometimes have problems if used for syncing to a computer.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
+1 for Anker. They’re just built a little tougher than most of the rest.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post