SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This lung disease is wearing me out
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This lung disease is wearing me out Login/Join 
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted
Putting on and taking off the finish mower from my tractor takes too much effort every time I mow so I decided to leave it on and park the assembly under the shed at the barn. Today, as I go to mow about 2 acres, I began greasing the mower and I could not reach the zerk on the universal joint at the mower end of the drive shaft so I took the shaft off mower and tractor to grease. Wrestling the shaft back into place in the confined space between tractor and mower wore me out. Teeth on male end of spline on mower will not align with teeth on the female coupling on u-joint of drive shaft,u-joint lets female end flop around like a wet noodle, drive shaft Is heavy, looked for phpaul’s BFH but could not reach one and had to settle for harsh language. hot sun, short breath and old age ganged up on me and I am whupped. Came back inside and checked blood oxygen level and I was at 88%, doctor would not be pleased. Comfy chair, A/C and a bottle of cold water and I am back to my normal 94%. Don’t have near the stamina I had just a year ago, think I will wait until tomorrow to mow.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
PTO on my tractor will turn by hand if in neutral, could just turn drive shaft to line up with spline. Doesn't turn freely but will turn.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
PTO on my tractor will turn by hand if in neutral, could just turn drive shaft to line up with spline. Doesn't turn freely but will turn.

Tractor end is easy as you say but mower end does not have neutral. Big Grin

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should check in with your pumonologist.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You should check in with your pumonologist.

Going in for my next spirometer test and 6 minute walk in two weeks. This will be my third and should give some clarification as to progress. First and second were in Jan to set benchmark.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Only thing worse than getting old is the alternative!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going in for my next spirometer test and 6 minute walk in two weeks. This will be my third and should give some clarification as to progress. First and second were in Jan to set benchmark.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are a lot more treatments available these days than five or six years ago.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are a lot more treatments available these days than five or six years ago.

First thing doctor told me was it is uncurable and fatal (not the best way to get on my Christmas card list). I am taking a drug, Esbiet, three times a day. This is suppose to slow tissue damage, I will find out in two weeks.

NRA
Georgia Carry

posted Hide Post
quote:
First thing doctor told me was it is uncurable and fatal

^^^^^^^^
Swell introduction by the doctor. Jerry Lewis had IPF and lived to 91. Marlon Brando had the condition as well. Hopefully, it will slow the tissue damage. Post back after you get some more tests.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have a very good friend, a young man, that contracted pulmonary fibrosis about 15 years ago. He wasn't given much of a chance to survive, but found out about a program at Vanderbilt (Go Dores!) and went there for treatment. Fifteen years later, he is healthier than ever, able to watch his kids grow up and living a very full life.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that encouragement ZSMICHAEL.

This probably should have gone in the rant forum, it was intended to be a bitch about working on my tractor and my waining stamina. Big Grin

NRA
Georgia Carry

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that TigerDore, I have a video visit with the doctor after the spirometer/walk session and I will bring that up with her.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Thanks for that TigerDore...

I will be glad to get the information from my friend if you want it. Just send an email to me if I can help.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
TD, I appreciate your thought but at my age, 75, I do not expect any extraordinary efforts will be made beyond the medicines and care I am getting now. Thanks for the concern.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm still scratching my head about your problem. With all of my attachments, e.g., rotary tiller, rotary cutter and my winch, I can turn the drive shaft by hand to line the splines up with the pto.

Does your mower have a clutch?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Prayers Sent your way

Have you considered adding Oxygen to your life?

I am 64 and starting my second round of battle with lung cancer. Last one was ten years ago. I recently could hardly walk down the hallway of our meager house. O2 level was at 81.

Called Oncologist and Pulmonologist. They ordered Chest X-Ray. Showed I had an infection going on. Ten day course of Levaquin and 24 hour O2 added. I feel much better. Currently on shoulder strap with a bottle of O2 when I am out and about. Did some yard work wearing it.

If it is needed for long term then I will get a portable Oxygen Compactor that is a lot lighter than the bottles.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post