SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling a car via Craigslist
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling a car via Craigslist Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone,

I am selling a car via Craigslist. I did this once before and it went well, but it has been several years.

My specific question is, when someone comes for a test drive of the vehicle, how do I protect myself? Do I go with them for the test drive? Do I let them drive it alone? What's the best way to let the driver evaluate the car while avoiding them from running off with the car, or wrecking it?

I would like to know what others do when having a stranger look at your car. Once they agree to buy it, I insist on cash (paper currency), or if the amount is too large, I accompany them to their bank and do the transaction there. I already know not to accept personal checks, cashier's checks, or whatever.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Hello everyone,

I am selling a car via Craigslist. I did this once before and it went well, but it has been several years.

My specific question is, when someone comes for a test drive of the vehicle, how do I protect myself? Do I go with them for the test drive? Do I let them drive it alone? What's the best way to let the driver evaluate the car while avoiding them from running off with the car, or wrecking it?

I would like to know what others do when having a stranger look at your car. Once they agree to buy it, I insist on cash (paper currency), or if the amount is too large, I accompany them to their bank and do the transaction there. I already know not to accept personal checks, cashier's checks, or whatever.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'd start by asking for a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. Don't ask ahead of time, wait until they're physically there. Anybody who's legitimate should have both on them.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
when someone comes for a test drive of the vehicle, how do I protect myself? Do I go with them for the test drive? Do I let them drive it alone? What's the best way to let the driver evaluate the car while avoiding them from running off with the car, or wrecking it?

Yes, you go with them. Carry concealed.

quote:
I'd start by asking for a valid driver's license and proof of insurance.

Not a bad idea to check... if they don't have both they are probably not good for the money anyway.... but, if they are driving your car, with your permission, your insurance applies.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
DO NOT let someone test drive your car without you.

1. For all you know they could go rob a bank or store.

2. They might go for a ride and dukes of hazard it across a creek.

3. They might steal it.

Way to many red flags on letting them test drive it without you.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I'd start by asking for a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. Don't ask ahead of time, wait until they're physically there. Anybody who's legitimate should have both on them.

Post in the ad, that they will have to do these things and you'll likely ward off the scammers and thieves.
Also, have them call you, not text and do a search on their number to see what pops up.
I sell a lot of stuff on CL and have found that the scammers like to text, not talk. Also, trust your gut feeling.
Doing a few simple things like this has weeded them out for me.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I hear way too many bad things these days about CL to ever touch them again, OP have you considered Facebook Yardsale sites? They are pretty good and have exploded in popularity in the past 2-3 years.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I ride along usually but I also do the negotiating first. We don't take a drive and get low-balled. I answer all the questions and talk price. Then they can drive to see if it's what they expected. If not then adios.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to the ride along advice if i sell anything on CL no one come s to my home unless it cannot be avoided. I usually suggest a bank so if they want to buy whatever i am selling I can confirm I am getting good money and with a vehicle get title notarized. In addition to be safer it also wards off scammers

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Have sold a car on CL before, though that was about 8 years ago.
Definitely go with on the test drive.

I've heard of cars disappearing on test drives.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with CL about 3 years ago, but I live in Iowa. I rode along on the test-drive (partially just to show him how the different things work, they are pretty wonky). He paid with a large stack of $20s, I had some sort of Bill of Sale saying "as is" and "no warranty" and all that we both signed, gave him the signed title, pretty smooth. Luckily didn't have any tire kickers before him.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. One of the things I have noticed so far - I have not gotten any obvious fraud responses, but I have gotten several that try to negotiate a much lower price than what I am asking.

Of course I am willing to be flexible on pricing, but not to the level some of these people are asking. I've been politely declining to counter these lowball offers - none of them have even looked at the car, so how could they make a serious offer on it?

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the replies. One of the things I have noticed so far - I have not gotten any obvious fraud responses, but I have gotten several that try to negotiate a much lower price than what I am asking. None of these people have even looked at the car!

Of course I am willing to be flexible on pricing, but not to the level some of these people are asking. I've been politely declining to counter these lowball offers - none of them have even looked at the car, so how could they make a serious offer on it?

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
none of them have even looked at the car, so how could they make a serious offer on it?

Because there are people that like to play games, they are all over the FB yardsales too. Just ignore them.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off-topic but forum-related:

Why do people reply with just a quote from the OP but no comment or reply of their own? I've seen this on occasion in various other threads, but in this one its happened twice (Aeteocles and btanchors) and we're not even on page 2 yet. What is the meaning behind doing this?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've sold many cars on Craigslist as well as boats, mowers, and miscellaneous items. Take too many good clear pictures and post them. Don't put your phone # in the ad, communicate by email and trust your gut as to which responses are real. Have them send you their # and you call them. Keep bs detector on high.

I always talk price first and if agreement is reached then a test drive and I always go and am carrying. Never had problems but my guard is always up. Most sellers are lazy and post 3 or 4 crappy, fisheyed cell phone pictures. My merchandise is clean and ready to sell and I take pains with my pictures.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have sold several cars and some construction equipment as well. Here are the rules I go by:

1. The vehicle is at my office never at my home.
2. Only allow inspections during daytime. I don't care that you get off work at 9 pm....
3. Always make a copy of their valid license.
4 Only allow the driver to go on a test drive. If anyone else is there they can wait.
5. Carry concealed.
6. Cash is king. If they want to try to use certified funds it must clear first. I don't care if it takes a week...

So far I've never had an issue. I did have a guy from Toronto buy my Porsche race car sight unseen other than a bunch of pictures and he was fine waiting for his certified check to clear so everything went fine.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I've sold many cars on Craigslist as well as boats, mowers, and miscellaneous items. Take too many good clear pictures and post them. Don't put your phone # in the ad, communicate by email and trust your gut as to which responses are real. Have them send you their # and you call them. Keep bs detector on high.

I always talk price first and if agreement is reached then a test drive and I always go and am carrying. Never had problems but my guard is always up. Most sellers are lazy and post 3 or 4 crappy, fisheyed cell phone pictures. My merchandise is clean and ready to sell and I take pains with my pictures.

This how I do it to the T. Sold two cars last year on CL.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask for a PDF of their drivers license prior to setting the appointment - you'll weed out the clowns early.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give them the keys After you get in the passengers seat.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post