SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    10 1/2 years on a cheap weed trimmer! Update in OP: bought a new one.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 1/2 years on a cheap weed trimmer! Update in OP: bought a new one. Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why no battery? They have come a LONG way in just the past 2-3 years.

I had a battery B&D purchased in 2014 that was kind of a piece of crap but the new 24v Kobalt I just got has as much power as a gas one and works great.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Shindaiwa for me. They're not as powerful today as my favorite T27/270 but I have a few thousand hours with one in my hand, so I've come to appreciate them. For home use, my current one will probably last many more years.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I would look at one of the newer battery powered models for residential use if I were you. My Milwaukee M18 Fuel trimmer will trim my 1/4 acre yard all summer on a single charge with the 9 amp hour battery. I've been using it a few years now, and I can't imagine going back to gas for a string trimmer.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have a Stihl that's about 20 +/- years old. Recently replaced the rubber primer bulb and of course, the string.
They will last a homeowner forever and you can always get replacement parts.
If you have a small yard or live in suburbia where noise is an issue consider a battery model.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Stihl FS100RX here. Its a beast. Powers through high grass. I have 2.5 acres and I only weed whack twice per year. Takes me about 5 or 6 hours if I do everything.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Echo or Stihl if you must pass gas,

Consider that the new E-trimmers are much advanced, the Ego has a 56V trimmer, it's quiet, very powerful, replaced my edger and trimmer with the same unit, easy to load and no fuel to store or mix... Just slap on the battery and go, no mixing fuel, no priming, no pulling the cord until your arm wears out...

I'd never go back to a two stroke trimmer,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I use Echo exclusively. Non-ethanol fuel and echo 2-stroke oil only.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
I’m very satisfied with my ECHO PAS-225. I also purchased the optional hedge trimmer attachment and it swaps out easy and works like a charm.

I have the same and have been extremely happy with it. Echo makes a great, lightweight, powerful trimmer. I like Stihl products as well, but my experience with them is that they are typically heavier than they need to be for residential use.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Updated in OP. Thank you all for your information.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I know you've already already made your purchase, but I'll add my experience, for future edification for searchers on the same topic.

I picked up a Husqvarna 2-cycle trimmer shortly after I moved here 13 years ago. Can't remember the model number, but I believe it was something like 28cc.

It lasted about 10 years. Never had problems with it for the first 9 years, and then in the 10th year, it had problems with the choke and carburetor, and then the final death knell was the fuel line began leaking. Would've cost me more than it was worth to have it repaired.

It ran about 2 billion RPM, or at least it seemed to, and ate trimmer line like a rotund guy at the all-you-can-eat. Didn't even hiccup when it cut through a central air power cable Mad

It worked well...until it didn't.

Newer models are lighter and probably more ergonomic.

I went to a 32v cordless that I thought might be good, but I absolutely hate the damned thing

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:

I went to a 32v cordless that I thought might be good, but I absolutely hate the damned thing

Is it a Black and Decker? If it is, I agree they are pieces of shit. Bought mine as an open box/return at Lowes and should have known better. The first owner realized it was barely above a toy and took it back.

My new 24v Kobalt trimmer is VERY powerful and nice and it's now got me thinking of not buying a Honda gas mower next year but an 80v Kobalt.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I use Echo exclusively. Non-ethanol fuel and echo 2-stroke oil only.

That’s another key thing, use ethanol free fuel.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:

Is it a Black and Decker? If it is, I agree they are pieces of shit.

Nope, this one was a Worx GT model. Supposed to act as a trimmer and edger. Their infomercial makes it seem like it could act as a Flowbee too.

Can set it to about 50 different positions to make it more ergonomic for you, but I'll be damned if I still didn't have to hunch over to use it.

The trimmer line that comes with it is about as durable as overcooked spaghetti, so it would break every 5 seconds or so, and only has 1 line, so jobs take 4x as long to do.

I do believe I was hungover when I bought it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Freaking Fudgecicles! Echo trimmer spins the line counterclockwise! Now I have to trim from left to right to keep from slinging crap back at my legs. And this puppy uses more gas than my old one. 1/2 tank for the yard. And it ain't as loud as my old one. I love the sound of two strokes. Reminds me of my Yamahammer RD 350s. Smile Ring Ding Ding Ding.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Freaking Fudgecicles! Echo trimmer spins the line counterclockwise! Now I have to trim from left to right to keep from slinging crap back at my legs. And this puppy uses more gas than my old one. 1/2 tank for the yard. And it ain't as loud as my old one. I love the sound of two strokes. Reminds me of my Yamahammer RD 350s. Smile Ring Ding Ding Ding.
Yes, straight-shaft whackers spin the wrong way. I don't know why. On long runs I find it easier to walk backwards while whacking. I've developed a complex set of techniques and rules to stay out of the way or use myself as a shield depending on what I'm doing. I've only smashed one car window while whacking since 1990.

Wait, you're going left to right? You whack clippings into the side of the house or into landscapes or into driveways? I always whack clippings into the lawn.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait, you're going left to right?

Shoot, I don't remember what the heck I was doing, right to left, left to right, it was like 100 degrees and I was tired. Which ever way I was going, it is opposite of what I used to do.
My technique involves trimming first, mowing second, edging with the edger third and cleaning up the sidewalk and driveway with the 2 cycle leaf blower. Then I stomp down the mole trails Frown

BIDEN SUCKS.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Why no battery? They have come a LONG way in just the past 2-3 years.

Batteries. Die.

Then you're faced with paying more for a new battery than for a whole now whatever-it-is. Homey ain't playin' that game no mo!

The only power tools or equipment I have, now, that are battery-powered is my Hitachi drill/driver combo (*) and my Milwaukee 12V Fuel drill (**). Everything else is either corded, gasoline- or air-powered. And that's the way it's going to be from here on out.

(*) I spent days trying to find a corded drill motor that could match the performance of a cordless. They do not exist. Finally gave in.
(**) Purchased primarily for its convenience factor--and it was on sale Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post