SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    10 1/2 years on a cheap weed trimmer! Update in OP: bought a new one.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 1/2 years on a cheap weed trimmer! Update in OP: bought a new one. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Cheap Poulan Pro string trimmer actually lasted since March 2009. Passed away last night, a sudden, unexpected and untimely death. It was my yard assistant weekly, never complaining and never asking for more than line and fuel.

Now, it's time for a new and more reliable model.

ECHO or HUSQVARNA?. 2 cycle only, NO battery considered.

UPDATE: Ended up with the ECHO SRM-225. Thank you every one for your input. Checked each (Stihl/Husqvqarna/Echo at the shops. Echo came out on top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Echo, I am very happy with all of my echo 2 cycle equipment and can get all and any parts for them shipped to the store for free from Home Depot, Home Depot does stock the basic echo stuff in the store. The Echo machines balance very well and run very well.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I had a Husqvarna 223L that ran excellent and has been completely hassle-free for 7 years and counting. Sold it to my buddy, who is still running it without issue. Nice and light, started quickly and easily, and was perfectly adequate for yard trimming and weed eating. You wouldn't want to tackle heavy, thick growth with it, though - it's not built for that stuff.

I replaced it (and other tools) with a Stihl Kombi k130, and didn't need it anymore. Otherwise, I'd still be humming along with it happily.

I think you can't go wrong with the major producers. Buy from whatever dealer is convenient and has good service to earn your business.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stihl has always been my default choice for small power equipment.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Stihl, Husqvarna, or Echo. I've got all 3 with straight shaft, and they are all very similar to each other. I have an Echo that has been used for 20 years, and is now in need of a new carburetor, but I believe that once I replace it that it will crank and run like new.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I have all 3. Sthil Husq and Echo. I’d get the one that looks the coolest.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I have 1 Stihl, 2 Echo and 1 Honda weed trimmers. I would recommend a Echo that comes with the Speed Feed 400 head by far. My Stihl FS85 has been problematic to say the least.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Stihl FS56 here. Trouble free so far. Replaced a cheap garage sale [corded] electric trimmer.

https://www.stihlusa.com/produ...er-trimmers/fs56rce/

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I’m very satisfied with my ECHO PAS-225. I also purchased the optional hedge trimmer attachment and it swaps out easy and works like a charm.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Go with Husqvarna is what I did. I bought the 525 52" straight shaft commercial model a couple years ago and it is a good one. The trimmer head is easier to load than a speed feed if you can imagine that, at least in my opinion.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/husqv...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Shindaiwa LT18 has been going strong for ±30 years. Got a small leak in the fuel tank, since last season. One of the gaskets for the fuel delivery system. Replacement parts are readily available--I just haven't had the time to address it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Echo that I got 4-5 yrs ago. Main reason I got it over the Stihl was that I thought the starter was a lot easier to pull. It has served me well. But if I were buying one today, it would be a battery one.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Stihl FS56 here. Trouble free so far. Replaced a cheap garage sale [corded] electric trimmer.

I have the same one and it's 4 or 5 years old. Aside from replacing the air filter yearly, all I've done to it so far is replace the throttle cable. I probably should have dug a little deeper and stepped up to a commercial model since I have a farm, but the FS56 is still going after several years of hard use.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Neither, I got tired of replacing cheap lawn equipment, including box store models. I went with Stihl and have not regretted it. For the trimmer I chose their cheapest commercial model. I figure with my residential yard it should last. It also has the capability to put a saw blade on it for brush clearing (and it works well). I have an edger (which will take accessories) and their blower. My next purchase is the tree trimming attachment for my edger motor.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, trimmer. Thought you were talking about cheap weed.Big Grin

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I have the same one and it's 4 or 5 years old. Aside from replacing the air filter yearly, all I've done to it so far is replace the throttle cable. I probably should have dug a little deeper and stepped up to a commercial model since I have a farm, but the FS56 is still going after several years of hard use.

My dad has the same FS56, and also has the bullhorn commercial model.
His commercial trimmer is something like 20 yrs old & still running strong after a carb rebuild a few years ago.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Neither, I got tired of replacing cheap lawn equipment, including box store models. I went with Stihl and have not regretted it. For the trimmer I chose their cheapest commercial model. I figure with my residential yard it should last. It also has the capability to put a saw blade on it for brush clearing (and it works well). I have an edger (which will take accessories) and their blower. My next purchase is the tree trimming attachment for my edger motor.

I've been contemplating buying the edger head for my FS56. Edging with a string trimmer is no fun.
Guy at the local Stihl dealer said it's a 2 screw job to swap the heads.

posted Hide Post
I picked up a Stihl from my local dealer for $200. I only run the synthetic fuel and dont have any issues.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Stihl is actually my preference. The Echos that I used when working lawn care didn’t seem to like hot days. Ran fine at first but when you had to add fuel or string in the middle of a July heatwave, they didn’t like to start again. No experience with Husqvarna.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I have the Lowes Husqvarna 128LD straight shaft model, and it's lasted for 5 years so far. It's an oddball model that will take a lot of generic attachments (that Lowe's sells) but NOT the actual Husqvarna attachments. It kind of bogged down when giving it throttle in the beginning - but after acquiring the special $8 tool to adjust the carb - it runs like a top after a slight adjustment. I have a Poulan edger attachment and it works perfectly with it. My yard is small (1/2 acre) and I'd say it's lightly used. I've been using the canned fuel from Lowes it's entire life. I would buy another if needed.

I would also consider the entry level Stihl commercial/pro model as well as someone stated, especially if you have a nice friendly Ace Hardware/Stihl Dealer down the road as I do.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post