SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's the kind of gadget I'd expect to see in an issue of Popular Science from 1962
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's the kind of gadget I'd expect to see in an issue of Popular Science from 1962 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
US Army testing a device that could give soldiers a 'third arm'

Also, I'm fairly certain that they are infringing on my patented Third Hand Ass Locator, a medical device for the clueless.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
they need a 4th arm to pull that elbow down

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Quick question for Army. How does a device that weighs 4 lb. "lessen soldier burden?"

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
"freeing up their hands to do other tasks" ?

I think if I was shooting at someone trying to kill me, I'd be pretty focused on that.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I read thru it a couple of times, but it seems to be a solution in search of a problem. I can't figure out the utility here. Unless the 'arm' is going to aim and pull the trigger, I'm pretty sure you are still going to need both of your own arms.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gotta check Facebook, even when it's coming in hot and heavy.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Gotta add that you give this thing to a bunch of bored grunts and I hate to see what they have that third arm doing. Eek

I double checked the date on the article and nope it didn't come out on 4/1. Head scratcher for sure (Hey, there's a use for the third arm!)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
How can you butt strike some BG in the noggin' with that thing?

Also, doesn't a sling work without adding 4#s?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A: sling
B: if they can't support the weight of a weapon, at least when actually firing it, why are they in the Army?

Agreed, solution in search of a problem.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Inspired by the Selfie Stick?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Sig2340 beat me to it. Aliens is the first thing I thought of.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Yup. This was the very immediate thing that I thought of.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Have the people who think of this crap ever even fired a rifle, let alone tried to drop, get to cover, and return fire?

Holy burdensome gadget from hell, Mr. Goldberg!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Yup. This was the very immediate thing that I thought of.

Same! Big Grin

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't see how that would normally be an asset to the military, but there would certainly be a civilian market. Never again would an idiot have to say "hold my beer" before they initiate some form of self-immolation.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Think that arm of the Defense budget needs to be slashed.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but Vasquez and Drake had this rocking in 1986.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post