SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Port wine & member Pipesmoker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Port wine & member Pipesmoker Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Wanted to email Pipesmoker but he doesn't have an email address in his profile.

He has recommended Taylor Fladgate 10 yo Tawny Port several times here and based on that I picked some up. It along with Graham's Six Grape Reserve Port. Really wanted to pick up Taylor Fladgate NV 375 Anniversary Port but none was in stock. Frown FWIW our "go to" has been Sandeman Founders Reserve Porto.

The 73 yo retired military clerk recommended a "sleeper" as one he really liked. I'm sampling it now and find it light, fruity, smooth, and very refreshing. It's an Australian vintage: Hardy's Whiskers Blake Classic Tawny Port. Under $20 for 750ml. I can see getting more when this bottle is empty. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16205 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
How was the 10 yo Tawny? I've tried ruby and Tawny and prefer the Ruby, but it was also el cheapo.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
How was the 10 yo Tawny? I've tried ruby and Tawny and prefer the Ruby, but it was also el cheapo.

It is indeed excellent. Doesn't have the "bite" if that's an applicable term when compared to the Sandeman. Its smoother. I've yet to sample the Grahams.

FWIW as prices vary by state and location, here's what things ran me in Rapid City, SD
--Taylor Fladgate 10 YO Tawny 750ml @ $37.99
--Graham's Six Grape Reserve Port 375ml @ $13.99
--Hardy's Whiskers Blake Classic Tawny Port 750ml @ $16.99

The Sandeman I cited typically runs $20 or less for a full bottle.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16205 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Do you have a fancy port glass? I just use a whiskey glass.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nope, I have some small glasses that suit well or I use a small snifter.

Just did some searching to see how well the Hardy's did in reviews.
--Wine Spectator 94 points
--Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar 89 points
--Wine Enthusiast 88 Points

ADDENDUM: Here's a picture showing those 3 types of glasses I use for port standing upright on the front right area of the portable bar in front of a set of four Glencairn glasses.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder bald1 – I’ll see if I can put my email address in my profile this afternoon. Hope that you like the Taylor Fladgate 10 yo tawny.

Re: “FWIW as prices vary by state and location, here's what things ran me in Rapid City, SD
--Taylor Fladgate 10 YO Tawny 750ml @ $37.99”

Here in pricey San Diego, my upscale Bristol Farms grocery (pricey for many items), has a nominal price for the 10 yo T. F. of $34.99, and sometimes has it on sale for $29.99. And I get a 20% discount. 10% for Sr. Citizen Tuesday, and 10% for a 6-bottle purchase. So when I’m getting it for $23.99 (plus tax), I buy enough to last me until the next sale.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Thanks for the reminder bald1 – I’ll see if I can put my email address in my profile this afternoon. Hope that you like the Taylor Fladgate 10 yo tawny.

Re: “FWIW as prices vary by state and location, here's what things ran me in Rapid City, SD
--Taylor Fladgate 10 YO Tawny 750ml @ $37.99”

Here in pricey San Diego, my upscale Bristol Farms grocery (pricey for many items), has a nominal price for the 10 yo T. F. of $34.99, and sometimes has it on sale for $29.99. And I get a 20% discount. 10% for Sr. Citizen Tuesday, and 10% for a 6-bottle purchase. So when I’m getting it for $23.99 (plus tax), I buy enough to last me until the next sale.

When you add your email address you might want to shrink your HUGE avatar too! LOL

Sadly neither the package store at the local USAF base nor any of the groceries where I get discounts carry an assortment of ports beyond the basics. So I rely on our biggest local liquor store (http://www.smithsliquorgallery.com/) and pay the full tariff.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “Sadly neither the package store at the local USAF base nor any of the groceries where I get discounts carry an assortment of ports.”

Speak with the wines & spirits manager to see if he’d order some for you.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Re: “Sadly neither the package store at the local USAF base nor any of the groceries where I get discounts carry an assortment of ports.”

Speak with the wines & spirits manager to see if he’d order some for you.

Oh I know that drill but with the local distributors the base deals with it isn't always worth the effort.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
How long does it take you to kill that bottle of port with you just drinking it?

Last time I opened one, it went sour on me before I was done.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Port is a fortified wine (alcohol added), so it keeps good longer than unfortified wine. I’ve never had a bottle go bad.

Serious about crackers

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Fond of Fonseca ports the 2011 vintage is sublime.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Fond of Fonseca ports the 2011 vintage is sublime.

At around $100 you're getting out of my comfort zone.

===============================================

Rev, I've never had any port go south on me either.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Port is a fortified wine (alcohol added), so it keeps good longer than unfortified wine. I’ve never had a bottle go bad.

Can a bottle last 3 weeks?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Can a bottle last 3 weeks?

A lot longer than that Smile

Here they say 3 months: https://vinepair.com/articles/...en-bottle-port-last/

Others much longer:
https://www.quora.com/How-long...-bottle-of-port-good

But honestly, in my area with low humidity and generally cool temperatures, I simply don't worry at all as I keep them sealed tight with the remaining port up against the cork/cap/stopper.

USN (RET), COTEP #192