SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question of what's right and proper
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question of what's right and proper Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF. As usual, I'm here with a question.

First, the setup: A couple I know planned a vacation in Cancun. They had contributed equally to an account to fund the trip. During the time between planning/booking the trip and actually going, the relationship came upon bad times. A couple of weeks before planned departure, Mr told Mrs, "I'm not going. Find someone else to go with you." Many tense discussions followed. Mrs begged Mr to go, and Mr refused, not wanting to bring a miserable vacation upon the both of them.

Shortly after, Mrs asked BFF (a female) to go and BFF agreed. Come trip date, Mrs and BFF went. Mr stayed stateside and visited friends and family (lots of driving).

Some time after the trip, more tense discussions were taking place between Mr and Mrs. Mr elected to use that time to bring up the question, "Hey, has BFF got any plan for reimbursing some of that trip cost?" Hilarity did not ensue.

The claim Mrs makes is that, "BFF can't afford a trip like that! You gave it up, the burden is on you."

The claim Mr makes is that, "Surely to Goodness BFF doesn't expect me to fund her vacation! You're telling me it never occurred to BFF that it would be the right thing to do to pay at least some of that back? BFF thinks that trip was just a gift from Good Ol' Mr?"

Ever-opinionated

Question:
What's the right thing here?

Choices:
Mrs is right: Mr should bear the loss.
Mr is right: BFF should reimburse (at least some significant portion).
Other (please explain).

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As explained, the trip is on Mr.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
As explained, the trip is on Mr.

That is how I see it too.

Mr has no expectation of compensation.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Any payment should have been discussed BEFORE the trip. If the story happened the way it's described, the Mr gave the trip away. What an idiot.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Not enough information. It would depend on the specifics of the conversation when Mr told Mrs to find someone else to go.

If the trip was paid for, and Mr said find someone to go in his place, and Mrs did what he told her to do, then I would think Mr is out some money.

Either way, unless Mrs told BFF up front that BFF would need to pay for the trip, then either Mr loses out or Mrs comes up with the money.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted Mrs is right.
Mr. chose not to go, maybe a chance to patch things up was missed, his choice not to go, he has to pay.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Any payment should have been discussed BEFORE the trip. If the story happened the way it's described, the Mr gave the trip away. What an idiot.

Yep. Givers remorse.

Had the conversation occurred beforehand it would be a different story.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

+2
He said to take someone else so she did. Then AFTER the fact, he mentions money.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. You can't ask for payment after you made her the offer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If Mr. BFF wanted to be reimbursed, he should have made the arrangements with the person who was going in his place. Tough tacos.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
He sounds like a weasel dick to me.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He sounds like a weasel dick to me.

No more like a douchenozzle.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
OP, do you see where this is going?

In the words of my daughter at age 11: suck it up, buttercup.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Agreed. You can't ask for payment after you made her the offer.

This. I suspect the BFF bought some meals and contributed financially while on the trip. Not enough to cover airfare or rooms but some. Mr's real problem is that he regrets what he said n anger and sees he's screwed up.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:

+2
He said to take someone else so she did. Then AFTER the fact, he mentions money.

Yep

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
VThokey:

Your bud "Mr." is wrong, no matter how much in the right he is.

Tell him to "Suck it up like a fucking Frogman" and let it go.

(* I'm watching Lone Survivor and that statement, among others, resonates with me, even though I'm no where near near as tough as those men).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
OP, do you see where this is going?

In the words of my daughter at age 11: suck it up, buttercup.

I do believe I see a pattern! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Is the BFF hawt? There may be room for negotiation.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Other.

Mr. should have brought it up and discussed terms prior to BFF accepting vacation.

BFF might have offered a partial compensation up front irrespective of Mr. proposing terms.

Children in adult bodies any way you slice it.

After the fact is NOT the time to discuss these details.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
BFF had to know that taking a "free" trip to Cancun wasn't right. It wasn't her money that paid for it and she knew it. The right thing for her to do would be to reimburse Mr. (in part or in full) for the trip.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. I wouldn't have taken the trip expecting it to be free.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post