SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question of what's right and proper
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question of what's right and proper Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
All I got is a divorce is in the works shortly.
Happen to me after 20 years,separate vacations mean someone is fooling around.

I wouldn't assume that the couple is married.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Don't know what state but in Colorado, regardless of the "both contributing to the joint account, if they are married even under common law the money belongs to both. It is all the wife's money and it is all the husband's money.

She's perfectly within her rights to spend it as she sees fit, as was he.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
Exactly what was said during "tense discussions"?

Can't say exactly, but things between them are not good.

quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
The best advice I can offer is stay out of this.

Sometimes, it's good to be a spectator.

quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
He should be glad Mrs. picked a girlfriend when he told her "Find someone else to go."

Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

They are, thus the nicknames Mr and Mrs.
Not sure how long that's going to last, though....

God bless America.

Posts: 13426 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's where my mind went also. Suddenly he can't go on a vacation they can't back out of? So he insists she go? Right. He won't have to talk a lot about what he did or didn't do while she was gone because they're fighting about this. Yeah, I never dated anyone like that. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

They are, thus the nicknames Mr and Mrs.
Not sure how long that's going to last, though....

Well, in that case, he most certainly will have to eat the cost. Even if he didn't intend to gift the trip, his wife did, and that is just as much her money as it is his.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I think Mr should have requested his money back when he backed out if his intention was a refund. If the funds were sunk and not refundable, then it was forfeited when he suggested someone else go in his place without immediately and explicitly indicating that someone purchase his reservation.

If he expected money, he should have sold the reservations to someone himself. Regarding the BFF, "we have these travel reservations and Mr decided not to go. Wanna come in his place? Tix are already paid for." To me, that would sound like a gift, especially if it's commonly known the bff couldn't otherwise afford it.
This explains my position as well. I voted that Mrs. has the advantage.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had I been the recipient of the "free" trip, I only would've accepted if I planned on giving at least a decent amount of money back for it. I believe that is the right and proper thing to do.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I voted Mrs is right.
Mr. chose not to go, maybe a chance to patch things up was missed, his choice not to go, he has to pay.

this.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised this was so lop-sided. Especially with votes coming overwhelmingly from men.

BTW Go Hokies! My VT bottle opener is a little slower in tempo, but still works. Big Grin

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm a little surprised this was so lop-sided. Especially with votes coming overwhelmingly from men.

I didn't vote according to gender; I voted according to what seemed right, based on facts in evidence. . .

I won't say a dude is right just because he's a dude.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. should have went on vacation with Mrs. BFF...

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Mr. Gave it up; his loss.

BFF should have offered, before the trip, to reimburse to the level of her ability, although if it was offered to her as "Mr. had these tickets and reservations and doesn't want them, he told me to take someone else, do you want to go?" It's pretty hard to fault her.

This. His decision, his loss. If I was BFF, I would have paid whatever I could afford as a token, especially if I was friends with both.

PS when this exact situation happened to me it was California for one of my frat brother's wedding. I didn't get a penny back, don't remember who she brought.

She got pissed off when all my fraternity brothers weren't nice enough to her. Thought I had told to ignore her (I didn't). Wrote a three page scathing letter to my entire fraternity dogging me. What a c$%^.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Mr. Broke the agreement and bears the cost.
Mr. Did not indicate it was conditional.
Mr. Performed in poor faith.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Any discussion of expected payment should have been done before the trip.
If the BFF was given no kind of notice that she should pay into the trip, then he has no grounds to expect any.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Proof you can't fix stupid.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nothing to do with gender, everything to do with the law... which does vary from state to state... but in a communal property state the money belongs to both equally.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW Go Hokies! My VT bottle opener is a little slower in tempo, but still works. Big Grin

Dr. T, you make a good point. I didn't thing the poll ratio would be so unbalanced either. A couple have mentioned that BFF ought to at least make a gesture or partial offering toward Mr, but not as many as I had expected.

And if I can find another one of those bottle openers, I'll send it to you!

God bless America.

Posts: 13426 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's officially on Mr. If any money were to come from BFF it would have had to have been asked and/or offered prior. Sunk cost.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tdp113530:
Mr. should have went on vacation with Mrs. BFF...

This. He is mad he didn't think of it first

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Wonder if Mr. is a millennial? I work with a few millennials, they would ask for the money back. This post reminds me of them.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post