SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question of what's right and proper
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question of what's right and proper Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think Mr should have requested his money back when he backed out if his intention was a refund. If the funds were sunk and not refundable, then it was forfeited when he suggested someone else go in his place without immediately and explicitly indicating that someone purchase his reservation.

If he expected money, he should have sold the reservations to someone himself. Regarding the BFF, "we have these travel reservations and Mr decided not to go. Wanna come in his place? Tix are already paid for." To me, that would sound like a gift, especially if it's commonly known the bff couldn't otherwise afford it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I vote other. If he expected the other person to pay for his half, he should have made it clear from the beginning.

All Mr. said was, "I'm not going. Find someone else to go with you."

She found someone else to go with her. Period.

Trying to make the BFF pay after the fact is ptting the BFF on the spot. If the BFF knew beforehand she was going to pay, then she could have elected not to go or go.

I that people who just simply assume and put burdens on others after the fact.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I'm not going. Find someone else to go with you."

Sounds like he gave up the money to me but I'd have to hear more to be sure.

Exactly what was said during "tense discussions"?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm..... the right thing to do was to blow off the trip altogether. No one go.
But, since that did not happen, the Dude loses.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gave it up; his loss.

BFF should have offered, before the trip, to reimburse to the level of her ability, although if it was offered to her as "Mr. had these tickets and reservations and doesn't want them, he told me to take someone else, do you want to go?" It's pretty hard to fault her.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They're both wrong. The discussion should have happened before the trip, not after. Smile

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Mr and Mrs need to work it out between themselves, it is unfair for the friend to have the squeeze put on her after the fact if she was offered a free trip. Every cruise ship has passengers who could not afford it and would not be there had they not been given free passage from a friend or relative, so it's a common enough occurrence. He needs to let it go.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I would prepare myself to cover the cost of the trip.

That being said I believe it speaks to the lack of character from the BFF that there was no offer to compensate in some kind of way. Even A token of thanks or a gesture that let you know what the vacation meant to BFF.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
From the limited evidence presented it sounds like Mr. is being a royal jerk--twice (at least).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't believe this wasn't discussed ahead of time.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mr. should have discussed costs to the trip PRIOR to the BFF going with Mrs.

Trip is on him and he's an ass for bringing it up after the fact. He's just contributing to the already problem in his relationship...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter what's right and proper. There's not enough evidence here to really know and I suspect unless you're Mr, you probably don't know either. There is no telling what was said when you weren't around.

The best advice I can offer is stay out of this. It's going to be messy and you don't want to get in the middle of it by offering a judgement one way or another. Be supportive of your friend, but let him make his own decisions.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Was there absolutely no discussions before the trip took place.

This is when such a discussions should have happened. It a shitty position to bring this up after. I would expect the BFF would have asked before the trip if any payment was expected before agreeing to go on the trip.

This sounds like a mess all around.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
I would prepare myself to cover the cost of the trip.

That being said I believe it speaks to the lack of character from the BFF that there was no offer to compensate in some kind of way. Even A token of thanks or a gesture that let you know what the vacation meant to BFF.

Yeah, but we don't KNOW what Mrs told BFF. If Mrs said "Hey, free trip - wanna go?", then BFF is under NO obligation to pay back. Maybe BFF DID offer Mrs financial compensation, but Mrs turned it down? We don't know.

There is simply not enough info to form an informed decision. We are all filling in the blanks with our own guesses and suppositions; many of which are false.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sounds like what we do know is that Mrs didn't expect bff to pay. Nuff said?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

...The best advice I can offer is stay out of this. It's going to be messy and you don't want to get in the middle of it by offering a judgement one way or another. Be supportive of your friend, but let him make his own decisions.

Yep. What we have here is a failure to communicate, don't get dragged into it.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Like previously mentioned, if Mr wanted some reimbursement it needed brought up first. Then I would have some sympathy for the request.

Asking afterwards might be OK, but you'd have to accept the answer.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that if I was BFF and knew I'd be travelling on the money MR had contributed to the trip fund, I'd have been, like, "yeah, thanks, but NOOOOOO."

Whether or not MR is a jerkoff doesn't really have any bearing on it to me. No way I'd have put myself in the middle of that shit.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I agree, Mr. Dude got it wrong.

He should be glad Mrs. picked a girlfriend when he told her "Find someone else to go."

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
All I got is a divorce is in the works shortly.
Happen to me after 20 years,separate vacations mean someone is fooling around.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post