SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Sour dough pancake fans here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Sour dough pancake fans here? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I had some while on vacation in Oregon years ago. I'd forgotten about them until I saw this post. Thanks a lot, now I want some and no one here makes them.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There it is, newt

It's glazed pottery, lid fits rather loosely. I like it pretty good size so I can mix up a large batch when family/company is in the house. This jug is probably a gallon, although I've never really measured it.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
thanks for your photo TMats; that's a handsome container. I'll be considering a smaller version for our own use.

As far as I can tell, the difference in our methods seems to be, you have a batch to use on standby, in container;

we have the starter, requiring overnight to make up a batch;

My favorite breakfast is sour dough, a little bacon or sausage now & then. The texture and range of flavors in sour dough is a pleasing alternate to my typical 'Holy Shredded Wheat with Bran' & blueberries.

Do you use same dough for biscuits/bread/etc?

I've never had satisfying sour dough waffle experience though.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No, same thing. Depending on how much I mix up the night before, there's anywhere from a couple of tablespoons to a cup left in the jug. This weekend our son surprised us, driving up from Albuquerque. He slept later, so I made up a fresh batch of hotcakes when he got up; you've undoubtedly noticed that the batter tends to go flat after a relatively short period of time. There may not be more than a tablespoon left in the jug as a result of making two batches.

The jug is just a good place for sourdough. If I want to make something I take the jug out early the evening before. The idea is to bring the jug and sourdough up to room temperature by bedtime. At room temperature it's most active. I feed it about a tablespoon of sugar and then add flour and warm water. It sits out on the kitchen counter overnight. Next morning I probably have a couple of cups of active sourdough.

I pour what I need from the jug into a bowl and return the jug to the refrigerator.

I used to make biscuits and bread with it. Truth is, once weekly hotcakes is my free day for refined flour. I don't eat bread anymore. I wonder if I could still make a decent batch of biscuits, used to be a real favorite--especially Dutch oven.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post