SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brass Bore Brushes That Don't Shed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Bore Brushes That Don't Shed? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Cleaning two SA revolvers and the chambers of four cylinders, yesterday, had to battle the Kleen Bore .22 cal. pistol brush shedding bristles like a pet in springtime.

What a PITA.

I recall having that problem with whatever I was using for my .40 S&W bore brushes, in the past.

So what so y'all like for bore brushes?

(N.B.: The Kleen Bore .22 cal. pistol brush I've probably had for a good number of years, though it was fresh out of its tube.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
What solvent are you using?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I use bronze bore brushes from Brownells. 9mm & .22. I've never had any significant shedding problem with them.

Edit: I push the brush all the way through before I pull it back. That's easier on the bristles, I think.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have used Brownells bore brushes almost exclusively for years with never a bristle shed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
What solvent are you using?

M-Pro 7

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It seems unlikely to me that your solvent choice is the cause of the shedding.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Never has been for me, FWIW. Kleen Bore can be OK, but their selling point has always been "cheap and available anywhere".

ETA: I'm sorry, I can't tell from the packaging which brand I'm using.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
The only brushes I buy are Pro-Shot. Never had a problem with them shedding.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of these pro shot brushes that are one continues brass wire looped and twisted. Check out this link at amazon to get a picture of it to see what I mean.

These do not loose brush bristles.

amazon pro shot brass brush

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I've used Brownell brushes for years. Some shed badly after a couple uses and others seem indestructible. I can't seem to figure out what causes the difference.

Same issue with Pro Shot brushes.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input! Decided to give Pro Shot a try, since I could get 'em via Amazon Prime.

Picture of MP
posted Hide Post
Look for s Tornado brush.

Posts: 306 | Location: Houston,Texas USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MP:
Look for s Tornado brush.

That would be the Pro Shot brushes.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That's cool, thanks!

I've used steel tornados in chambers but didn't know they made brass ones.
That'd be good for bores.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
That's cool, thanks!

I've used steel tornados in chambers but didn't know they made brass ones.
That'd be good for bores.

You're welcome. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reasons I went with them was AP had them, plus comments about them not shedding bristles and not throwing solvent about when exiting muzzles and chambers.

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
if the brushes are copper and one uses copper solvent it is prudent to rinse the brushes with water after use...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OTIS makes good bronze bore brushes.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post