SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    English restaurant offering 200-ounce steak challenge: 'We wanted to bring a bit of fun to the restaurant'
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

English restaurant offering 200-ounce steak challenge: 'We wanted to bring a bit of fun to the restaurant' Login/Join 
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
We stopped the Big Texan last September and ordered a regular steak. It was up there with the worst I've ever had but what does one expect from a tourist trap.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
To those who have commented on eating steaks in England, how is it that the steaks aren't tasty?

Seasoning?
The quality of beef?

Just curious.

The quality of beef in Europe really isn't on par with the US (at least from my experience in France, Spain, Switzerland). Even my french wife and my French in-laws agree that their beef isn't as good as the beef we get in the US.

Pretty much what I have found in Germany and other European countries. And some very close family friends of my wife's family were butchers. And all the beef they sold they butchered from local farmers.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I thought the burgers tasted odd (some place that served premium grass fed beef burgers) in London,

only had one, them back to pub food (fish n chips)

Yeah, I was TDY at Croughton for 6 weeks. Glad I could eat at the officer's club. Other than fish and chips, nothing else I was tempted to try on the local economy was worth a repeat trial.

Only good thing I remember from that assignment was the milk. Nice milk, non-homogenized, with a nice layer of cream at the top. Served in 1/2 liter glass bottles.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I used to go to a place here that had a 72oz challenge - the steak, all the trimmings, and desert. Take as much time as you like, but you can't leave the table once you start. I never tried it, but they had a wall-of-fame with pictures of all the people who had succeeded. The thing that struck me was that most of them were skinny little folks. That place closed down about 15 years ago, which is really too bad because I really liked their food.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Is English food that bad?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. Along with most Northern European countries. Go there for the history, not for the food (which some exceptions, of course).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Yes. Along with most Northern European countries. Go there for the history, not for the food (which some exceptions, of course).

Interesting read, lenghty, but very imformative about the "English Cuisine"

Bangers and Mash!

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-B...eived-to-be-terrible

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
To those who have commented on eating steaks in England, how is it that the steaks aren't tasty?

Seasoning?
The quality of beef?

Just curious.

The quality of beef in Europe really isn't on par with the US (at least from my experience in France, Spain, Switzerland). Even my french wife and my French in-laws agree that their beef isn't as good as the beef we get in the US.

Pretty much what I have found in Germany and other European countries. And some very close family friends of my wife's family were butchers. And all the beef they sold they butchered from local farmers.

The lone European steak exception to all of this is Italy, and only in Tuscany where a properly cooked bistecca la Fiorentina steak is on-par with what's available in the US. The Chianina breed is a massive, ancient breed that produces a flavor that I enjoy and found to be exceptionally tender.
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Need to eat some modern Scandinavian food. I ate very well in Copenhagen and Oslo.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post